Total Pageviews

Thursday 31 August 2017

Low Carb : Blueberry Courgette (Zucchini) Cake with Lemon Frosting


Doesn't this look a wonderful cake, and it's low carb too, under 10g carbs per serving! The recipe uses courgettes (zucchini) blueberries and lemon, for full details, please see here

Blueberries are one of the few edibles native to North America and credited with being particularly high in antioxidants. They're now grown very widely internationally but the ever-increasing number of varieties marketed means there's no reliable guide to flavour, sweetness or texture. They're credited with many different health benefits if a handful or so is eaten every day, but this is only true if eaten raw. Cooked blueberries lose a great deal of nutrition and most also forfeit flavour; only small, sharp wild blueberries picked directly in Maine are likely to retain flavour when cooked, such as in a blueberry muffin – others more often become a purple tasteless mush.





Availability:
Fresh blueberries are available from somewhere in the world throughout the year. Frozen ones are likely to have been blanched so offer less nutrition.
Choose the best:
There's no immediate clue to flavour based on colour, size, variety or country of origin; thus, it’s worth remembering the variety noted on the label when you find one you like. Check for firmness of the berries and look for any obvious softness or broken skins, which will indicate they're not in top condition.
Store it:
The high vitamin C content of fresh blueberries means they last many weeks when refrigerated.
Cook it:
Don’t cook blueberries, unless you're absolutely certain the variety used will retain flavour; most varieties do not. A perfect snack by the handful, fresh blueberries make outstanding additions to breakfast cereals, pancakes and waffles, yogurts and fruit salads. They're equally good when used as a sweet-sharp garnish to almost anything else sweet or savoury, from a slice of fresh mango to a ham salad or plate of charcuterie, from chocolate ice cream to coronation chicken. They're especially delicious when generously whizzed up with a sharp salad dressing or crushed into mayonnaise but you might want to strain afterwards for smoothness.

You can also read about the health benefits of blueberries here

A variety of articles and recipe ideas are within this blog. Please note, not all may be suitable for you. If you may have any food allergies, or underlying health issues these must always be taken into account. If you are a diabetic and not sure how certain foods may affect your blood sugars, test is best, i.e. use your meter.

All the best Jan

30 comments:

Valerie-Jael said...

This looks great, wouldn't mind a slice right now with my coffee! Hugs, Valerie

PerthDailyPhoto said...

I have a handful of fresh blueberries every day in my Greek yogurt Jan, it's like having a yummy dessert for breakfast!

Catarina said...

I am finishing my breakfast - oatmeal with all the trimmings, including blueberries - and would love to have a slice of that beautiful cake!!

Canada is the world's second largest producer and exporter of blueberries, after the USA.

Next time you eat blueberries, check if they are Canadian!! :) The best in the world!!! : ))

eileeninmd said...

Hello, this looks delicious. I love anything with blueberries. Happy Thursday, enjoy your day!

Tom said...

...another way to use all that zucchini.

roughterrain crane said...

A young blueberry tree did come to my home this month.

Mary Kirkland said...

That sounds so good.

Blogoratti said...

Looks really good and delicious.

Jo said...

I'm partial to both blueberries and lemon so I think this would go down a treat.

Christine said...

This looks so good and blueberries do have so many benefits.

Elephant's Child said...

That looks like another great way to use the glut of zuchinnis at summer's end.

Carol Blackburn said...

I have many good childhood memories associated with picking blueberries on my grandparent's farm with my cousins. They have always been a favorite berry of mine.

only slightly confused said...

Zucchini in a cake? Well, I've seen cake recipes that used tomato soup and mayonaisse and fudge recipes that used mashed potatoes wo why not? I mean...I'm not likely to try it...but...why not?

Bob Bushell said...

Oh oh oh oh, it's beautiful, even now, I'd love to feel slipping down inside tummy.

Martha said...

This does indeed look like a wonderful cake! And I love blueberries. A delicious way to put them to use.

DeniseinVA said...

Oh that looks relish. Thank you Jan, I always enjoy the look of all your recipes.

Kezzie said...

I must say that I do prefer them raw, I'm not really one for cooked fruit at all, except perhaps apple and obviously rhubarb! The cake sounds very much like the cupcakes my husband used to make in this flavour! They were tasty!x

Snowbird said...

I'm always surprised at how flexible courgettes are, especially when used in desserts. This does look wonderful, I just love blueberries.xxx

Gina Gao said...

This looks so delicious! Now I'll have to go make one for myself.


www.ficklemillennial.com

The Joy of Home with Martha Ellen said...

Zucchini and blueberries are wonderful in cakes. I'll check out the link. I always keep frozen wild blueberries in the freezer. They are wonderful in many recipes and of course eaten plain. Have a nice weekend. ♥

Karen @ Beatrice Euphemie said...

This does look tasty and I love that it is low-carb, too! Lemon and blueberry is a wonderful combo. I can't get enough blueberries this time of year and so happy they are good for me, too! Hope you are enjoying these late summer days, Jan. xo Karen

riitta k said...

I use courgettes all the time, but never in cases (I bake very seldom). This blueberry cake looks fabulous, we in Finland have the season right now.

Haddock said...

The best thing I like is the vitamin C content.

Misty said...

OMG! DROOOOOOL!!! I am *totally* adding this to my recipe box!!!

Lisabella Russo said...

Oh that looks so very delicious! Yumm...

Carla from The River said...

Yum!! And it is zucchini season here in Wisconsin.

DMS said...

This sounds scrumptious! I love blueberries and I am thrilled that this recipe calls for zucchini. Even healthier treat! :)
~Jess

Summer said...

Hi Jan :) This sounds and looks awesome! Hope you are doing well :)

Summer

Magic Love Crow said...

I will have the entire cake please! LOL!

Lisa said...

This is definitely my favourite way to eat those pesky green veg.
Lovely moist cake with a hint of lemon, delish!
Lisa x