Italy was once a model of healthy eating - now it has a child obesity problem -
Daily life is not easy for Salvatore. At 17, he weighs 170kg (26st 10lb) and struggles to walk.
He can't tie his own shoelaces and his Vespa scooter strains to bear his weight - in one week, its wheels broke seven times.
"He eats constantly," says his mother Anna.
Salvatore is among a growing number of Italian children and teenagers living with obesity. The problem is particularly acute in the south: in parts of the Campania region, more than 40% of eight and nine-year-olds are overweight. The town of Ponticelli, on the outskirts of Naples, has earned the unenviable reputation as one of the world's child obesity capitals.
It is a striking development in a country long regarded as the spiritual home of the Mediterranean diet. Yet today, Italian children are among the most overweight in Europe, according to the World Health Organization (WHO).
Salvatore is waiting for life-changing surgery at the Betania Hospital in Ponticelli, where Dr Sonja Chiappetta has spent 15 years treating patients with severe obesity.
Until recently, she says, most of her patients were in their fifties. "Now I see those same patients when they're teenagers, as young as 16. They are getting younger, and it's frightening."
The surgery she carries out removes up to 90% of the stomach - meaning people are unable to eat large quantities of food. Demand has risen sharply in this part of Italy.
But Salvatore has been told he cannot get the operation. His weight is so excessive it makes the surgery too dangerous.
Instead, Dr Chiappetta has prescribed him a GLP-1 weight-loss injection to reduce his appetite and help him lose enough weight for the operation.
For decades, Italy was held up as a model of healthy eating.
The Mediterranean diet - rich in vegetables, legumes, olive oil, whole grains and fish - became famous after US physiologist Ancel Keys and his wife, biochemist Margaret Keys, studied communities in southern Italy in the 1950s and linked their habits to remarkably low rates of heart disease.
Their research transformed a regional way of eating into one of the world's best-known diets; a blueprint for healthy living.
But the Italy that inspired those studies no longer exists.
"The traditional Mediterranean diet has been lost," says Doctor Valter Longo, director of the Longevity Institute at the University of Southern California. "Only 10% of Italians really follow it."
Dr Longo sums up the modern Italian diet with what he calls the "five Ps": pizza, pasta, potatoes, protein and pane - the Italian word for bread.
The transformation is visible everywhere: from supermarket shelves stocked with ultra-processed foods to pizzerias selling slices piled high with chips, sausages and fried snacks.
Doctor Roberto Berni Canani, a paediatrician and obesity specialist at the Federico II University in Naples, sees the consequences every day.
"I've treated children who are just two or three years old and already weigh 25kg," he says.
He says most parents don't recognise their children are overweight. "They come to see me because of other problems - a cough, stomach pain, diarrhoea. They don't realise their child's weight is what's causing it."
Ten-year-old Francesca has a persistent cough and struggles to swallow. Doctors suspect an inflammatory condition of the oesophagus.
She weighs 60kg (9st 6lb) - but that's not why her parents have sought medical help.
Francesca says she eats bread with Nutella for breakfast, a chocolate-filled sponge cake as a snack, pasta with lentils for lunch and usually chicken for dinner.
"But she doesn't eat vegetables," her mother, Carmen, interjects. "I put them in front of her, but she won't touch them."
Francesca's parents insist she is active. She does artistic gymnastics and Latin dance, and doesn't get tired. They have never considered her weight as a problem.
Dr Berni Canani reaches a different conclusion.
The problem, he explains, is the overall pattern rather than any single meal. Small, calorie-dense foods consumed throughout the day, sugary drinks, too few fruit and vegetables and little understanding of how these habits accumulate over time.
"This is a very good mother," he says. "A very good father. They simply don't recognise the importance of diet quality and body weight."
By the time many families arrive at his clinic, unhealthy habits have already become deeply ingrained. They begin at home and are reinforced at school.
And in Italy, encouraging children to be more active can be surprisingly difficult.
Many schools are housed in beautiful old palazzi - they were never designed with modern physical education in mind.
The Ugo Foscolo primary school is no exception. Its gym has barely enough space for a class of children to move around.
"I have one pupil I'm particularly concerned about," says Francesca Pecce, who teaches at the school. "He's 10 years old and weighs around 60 kilograms."
She has tried raising the issue with his mother.
"But she is not worried," Pecce says. "In Neapolitan culture, if a child is a little chubby with rosy cheeks, people often think they're healthy."
Schools, she believes, can help change that, especially if children "take home" lessons about healthy eating.
"Sometimes it's easier to educate the parents through their children than the other way round."
At a secondary school in Naples, students file into a classroom for a nutrition workshop run by the Valter Longo Foundation.
The programme is part of a regional initiative to tackle childhood obesity. Over the coming months, more than 17,000 students across 25 schools will take part. Families will receive support to help change eating habits at home.
But not all of the students are convinced.
Eighteen-year-old Ciro doubts that information alone will change behaviour.
"My classmates already know what's healthy," he says. "They just don't care."
Carmen, 19, is more optimistic.
"I thought it was actually really helpful because teenagers today are really big into junk food, and don't exercise as much."
She says the problem is that temptation is everywhere. Even foods traditionally associated with Italy have changed.
"When we go out for pizza, people don't just order a Margherita. They put chips, sausages and fried food on top."
Add to that the centuries-old cliches of Italian mothers and grandmothers showing their love through food, and it's a perfect storm.
Obesity is an "escalating global epidemic", says the WHO. More than one billion people worldwide are now obese, and childhood obesity has quadrupled since 1990.
In 2025, Italy became the first country to pass a national law recognising obesity as a chronic, progressive and relapsing disease.
Rather than treating obesity simply as the result of poor choices, the country's new law recognises it as a chronic disease influenced by biology, environment and social circumstances.
The Campania region has become a testing ground for putting that philosophy into practice, implementing a series of ambitious interventions - including a controversial trial of a "fast-mimicking diet".
Researchers are recruiting 300 overweight adolescents who will spend five days every three months on a controlled diet of 1,100 calories on day one and 770 calories on following four days - so restrictive it resembles a fast.
The goal is to trigger a "metabolic reset".
"Fasting, or controlled deprivation of food, is linked to a longer and healthier lifespan," says Dr Longo, who has spent three decades studying the effects of fasting.
But not all obesity specialists are persuaded that fasting is the right approach for children.
Paediatrician Berni Canani believes the evidence for fasting-mimicking diets in children is still too limited to be recommended in Italy's clinical guidelines.
He also worries restrictive diets could carry psychological risks for adolescents, whose relationship with food is still developing.
"I fear that imposing food restrictions on teenagers could increase the risk of eating disorders, anorexia and body dysmorphia," he says.
Meanwhile, Salvatore hopes to have surgery in the summer, so that, for the first time in years, he can wear a swimming costume without feeling self-conscious.
But he is not alone. Across Italy, a generation of children is growing up increasingly removed from the Mediterranean diet that once made the country famous.
Add to that the centuries-old cliches of Italian mothers and grandmothers showing their love through food, and it's a perfect storm.
Obesity is an "escalating global epidemic", says the WHO. More than one billion people worldwide are now obese, and childhood obesity has quadrupled since 1990.
In 2025, Italy became the first country to pass a national law recognising obesity as a chronic, progressive and relapsing disease.
Rather than treating obesity simply as the result of poor choices, the country's new law recognises it as a chronic disease influenced by biology, environment and social circumstances.
The Campania region has become a testing ground for putting that philosophy into practice, implementing a series of ambitious interventions - including a controversial trial of a "fast-mimicking diet".
Researchers are recruiting 300 overweight adolescents who will spend five days every three months on a controlled diet of 1,100 calories on day one and 770 calories on following four days - so restrictive it resembles a fast.
The goal is to trigger a "metabolic reset".
"Fasting, or controlled deprivation of food, is linked to a longer and healthier lifespan," says Dr Longo, who has spent three decades studying the effects of fasting.
But not all obesity specialists are persuaded that fasting is the right approach for children.
Paediatrician Berni Canani believes the evidence for fasting-mimicking diets in children is still too limited to be recommended in Italy's clinical guidelines.
He also worries restrictive diets could carry psychological risks for adolescents, whose relationship with food is still developing.
"I fear that imposing food restrictions on teenagers could increase the risk of eating disorders, anorexia and body dysmorphia," he says.
Meanwhile, Salvatore hopes to have surgery in the summer, so that, for the first time in years, he can wear a swimming costume without feeling self-conscious.
But he is not alone. Across Italy, a generation of children is growing up increasingly removed from the Mediterranean diet that once made the country famous.
This article and images above seen on BBC News here
Related Posts
The Rise Of Childhood Obesity (written in 2020) read it hereChild obesity in pandemic could have lifelong effects, study says (written in 2024) read it here
Childhood obesity can have many causes and affects countries worldwide. It was only a few years ago that tens of thousands of children became overweight or obese during the pandemic and now could face "lifelong health consequences". Childhood obesity is one of the most serious public health challenges of the 21st century.
All the best Jan


Very interesting article. I feel it is more of a problem everywhere, including here in the states.
ReplyDeleteThis is a very interesting post. I have my own view about obesity. Here in the US after WW2 food went from wholesome foods to mass shelf-stable preservation, and the 1970s and 1980s brought an explosion of cheap industrial ingredients like high-fructose corn syrup. A series of 1970s agricultural policies, combined with corporate lobbying and a broken subsidy system, inadvertently created a financial loop that heavily favors cheap, unhealthy ingredients over whole foods. Of course fast foods also became convenient and inexpensive. (Until recently.) According to data published by the Cicero Institute, the cost of ultra-processed food is roughly $0.55 per 100 calories, compared to $1.45 per 100 calories for whole, unprocessed foods. This gap financially rewards corporations for building food out of subsidized junk and incentivizes low-income families to buy food that promotes poor health. And the insurance companies love this. Also The U.S. weight loss and diet industry generates roughly $135 billion annually. In addition 40% of physical education programs across the nation were completely cut do to economic crises, school budget cuts, and federal education reforms that prioritized test scores over physical health. In countries that previously were considered healthy with little or no obesity, diabetes, and heart problems have become "Americanized" and as the case in Italy obesity is becoming norm. Sadly people around the world will buy food they can afford and it will not always be healthy foods. OK, I got on a rant. Sorry.
ReplyDelete...WOW, Salvatore is a mighty big fellow!
ReplyDeleteWhat an interesting read, however, this is not just an Italian problem but a worldwide one. How we live, the food we eat has seen such a change over many years. Many young people eat too much and do not exercise. Technology takes precedence over healthy exercise. The problem is complex and doesn't have one easy answer.
ReplyDeleteBejay
I agree - it is not just in Italy - it is here in America too. It's hard.
ReplyDeleteInteresting. They need a Jamie Oliver to help them eat healthy food!-Christine cmlk79.blogspot.com
ReplyDeleteDear Jan, thank you so much for sharing this fascinating article.
ReplyDelete170kg for a kid...that's more than 3 of me. Time to cut the over processed foods.
ReplyDeleteIt's horrible that even children are overweight...not surprising...there's no more healthy food and everything is made quickly:(((
ReplyDeleteSummer greetings to you!
"chips, sausages and fried food" ontop of a pizza???Yikes!! I love pizza and make my own, but 90% of the toppings are vegetable and I am the first to own up my excess weight is purely from snacking, I'm trying to do that less but still have the occasional day when I'm stuffing my mouth all day.
ReplyDeleteI agree with anonymous, this is a world wide problem, mass produced foods are just too easy to purchase and eat, everywhere.
Shocking to read this article. Of all countries to have this problem who would think Italy would be the one. The young fellow was right when he said that his classmates knew about healthy eating but they don't care. So sad.
ReplyDeleteI was astonished reading this as I had never considered southern Europeans to suffer from obesity. Once the taste for unhealthy food has been developed, manufacturers will supply whatever customers demand. It is a vicious circle.
ReplyDeleteI am absolutely appalled that children in Italy—like that boy and even younger ones—are already so severely overweight. The way they eat!
ReplyDeleteOf course, we have similar problems with childhood obesity in Germany these days too, because of fast food!
Thanks for the interesting report!
Hugs, Elke
Interesting post, I have heard Americans overweight.
ReplyDeleteI think all the young children should be more active.
Take care, have a wonderful day!
I would´ve never thought Italy is on that list! When we were in Tuscany .. OK that was 2015!... I saw near to nobody being overweight, none obese! We were traveling and I saw mostly healthy food! But maybe I just don´t "see" unhealthy choices.
ReplyDeleteMy younger Niece is overweight and on a diet. I wonder how her parents could let that happen. The maternal Grandmother was obese with diabetes II, so there were warning signs!
It´s warm in Italy, how can you eat so much, other than fruit? And chubby sure does not go for Salvatore...
Sad. The parents should be punished. They are to take care of their kids who maybe don´t know better.
Good article to read Jan. Such a shame they are rather large in size but it happens here too.
ReplyDeletenot shocking at all. here in the US, most kids i encounter are grossly overweight!! growing up i was so thin and ACTIVE. perhaps it is the food the kids are eating these days coupled with less activity that is adding to the problem. i look at some girls and think "what will they look like after giving birth and the enevable weight gain most people have as they age?!!??
ReplyDeleteMy Italian grandmother was definitely as described in this article--showing love through food. But the food she gave us was homemade, much of it from fruit and veg she grew herself. I will never have Nana's homemade ravioli and the sauce she made from her garden tomatoes again, but I cherish the memory. It is definitely easier to pick up junk food because, as stated, it's everywhere and it's relatively cheap. I wonder how much the cost factors into some of these situations. I recall a time many years ago when Bill and I were in a grocery store in a rural town in Montana where the difference in price was extremely stark. A bag of pork rinds cost less than an apple.
ReplyDeleteI am sorry to hear that! I can see why parents get their children interested in sports at an early age. I believe fast food is part of the problem. It’s cheaper for families on very tight budgets to eat meals at these places than to buy an equivalent amount of fresh more healthy food (that is more expensive) at a supermarket, and will seriously put a big dent in their pockets that they can barely afford. Many issues need to be looked at. Parents, schools, trying to get young people motivated without judging them, psychological issues. We are striving to eat healthier also and I know how difficult this can be as an adult, let alone a child. A very important and interesting article Jan. Thank you!
DeleteHow sad. Seems like this is true for many parts of the world.
ReplyDeleteIsn't it amazing how junk food can take a group of people that were on a strict diet and make them walk away from what can keep them healthy.
ReplyDeleteI remember when we were kids we were outside all the time running around and doing things, now I guess there is too much sedentary things they do.
That’s rather shocking! We do have child obesity here in the USA, but I did not realize the extent of it in Italy. It sounds like children and parents need to learn about a balanced diet. I don’t think that fasting is good for children.
ReplyDeleteWhen I was in my 30s, I bought into the weight loss craze and tried to lose weight by cutting calories. When the first diet plan did not work (I actually gained weight on 1600 cal a day), I cut back even more, and then more yet. I ate hardly any fat at all, and zero sugar. I was down to 1200 cal a day, and losing only a little bit of weight. At the end of four months, I was tired, and my skin was dry, with cracked lips. I went to the doctor and he ran a blood test. It showed I wasn’t getting enough protein, even though I was drinking skim milk, and eating an egg and some meat every day. He said to stop dieting. I had only lost 4 pounds (less than 2kg).
I think that venture into extreme dieting really messed up my digestion. I developed food Intolerances, and I still don’t absorb enough of the protein that I eat. Over the years, I did try to lose weight by exercise and other diets, but never anything so restrictive. All this is to say that reducing weight is complicated, so it’s better to eat balanced meals in the first place. I really wasn’t very heavy when I started; I was just comparing myself to an unreal standard.
We need to eat healthy fats. As I say that, I realize that I lost my tolerance for fats and I’m still not eating properly. I fear that putting young people on a fast will result in them having permanent digestive problems, and probably an eating disorder.
I agree with others...this is a problem in so many countries, especially the US. Eating processed food and not getting any exercise is so harmful. Thanks for sharing this and thank you even more for helping me with my issues too. I'm taking it to heart my friend. Sweet hugs, Diane
ReplyDeleteI had read this article on a news feed and was quite shocked that Italy seems to have such a problem. However they are not alone in this issue. Many countries have seen a rise in obesity, as people wanted more convenient and cheaper foods to eat on the go. Now new habits have become the norm and the solutions are not easy.
ReplyDelete