Friday, 28 August 2026

t's Almost The August Bank Holiday Weekend 2026

Yes, it's almost the weekend and here in the UK we have a Bank Holiday Weekend, which for many means a nice three day break from work. Time to see family, friends ... perhaps do some gardening or decorating even visit a local event.

Whatever you may be doing I wish you a happy weekend, with some good weather, although I'm not sure we will be lucky with that, because many areas of the UK are expecting thunder storms!

I have no plans to travel far, the roads are always extra busy at bank holiday times.

~~~~~

Here are two summer photographs from years gone by,
which I hope you may enjoy


gulls diving for dinner


down on the beach


finishing with this recent photograph 
which shows a view of the partial lunar eclipse and sturgeon moon 
photo credit - yen milne - read more details here

However you plan to spend your Bank Holiday weekend (or ordinary weekend) do have a good one.

... and how about enjoying this colourful salad sometime over the weekend!


Chickpea Salad
With feta, spinach and roasted peppers, it's got flavour 😋
see recipe details here

Dear reader, you will find a variety of articles and recipe ideas within this blog, and not all may be suitable for you. If you may have any food allergies, or underlying health issues these must always be taken into account. If you are a diabetic and not sure how certain foods may affect your blood sugars, test is best, i.e. use your meter. If you have any concerns about your health, it is always advisable to consult your doctor or health care team.

All the best Jan

37 comments:

  1. Por aqui não temos esse feriadão.
    Mas adorei ver as gaivotas, e demais fotos!
    Salada refrescante e colorida!
    beijos, bom feriado, aproveita bem! chica

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful images and I am sure that is a great recipe. I can't do chickpeas-they do not like me~ Have a wonderful Bank Holiday weekend. Diana

    ReplyDelete
  3. GOOGLE TRANSLATE
    chica
    Por aqui não temos esse feriadão.
    Mas adorei ver as gaivotas, e demais fotos!
    Salada refrescante e colorida!
    beijos, bom feriado, aproveita bem! chica

    We don't have that long weekend around here.
    But I loved seeing the seagulls and the other photos!
    A refreshing and colorful salad!
    Kisses, have a great holiday, and enjoy it! Chica

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy weekend to you. The photos are lovely and that salad looks soooo good.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Enjoy your long weekend. :) We have a three day weekend coming up too. Ours is called Labor Day. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very pretty pictures today! I enjoyed those seagulls.
    Enjoy your long weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  7. ...the Chickpea Salad looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I absolutely love your photos, Jan! Beautiful! And I do love seagulls. Take good care of yourself, dear friend, and enjoy your long weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you for posting the eclipse photo. We went out to see it last night but clouds moved in and obscured the view . I love chickpeas so thanks for the recipe

    ReplyDelete
  10. Long weekends are a bad time to be on the roads. I hope yours is a peaceful and pleasant one.
    Did you get to see the full moon?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Happy holiday, enjoy it, the salad is excellent, I took a photo of the coast, I liked it as a background for my computer :))
    Thank you and best regards, Andreja!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Dear Jan, thank you for the beautiful photos and the delicious chickpea salad that went with them. I hope you have some lovely, relaxing days! Hugs, Elke

    ReplyDelete
  13. Enjoy the weekend. The salad looks good. I was listening to a programme yesterday talking about the success we are having growing chick peas and lentils in the UK. So a very timely recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great photo of the moon and its unusual colours.
    Have a lovely Bank Holiday Weekend, Jan.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Those are wonderful photographs! I´m wishing you a happy weekend and yes, never travel on such occasions, you´re stuck on the road!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Banks take enough breaks throughout each week. They don't need more holidays

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love the birds diving for dinner 😀

    ReplyDelete
  18. Have a great holiday weekend! We don't have another holiday weekend here in Ireland until the end of October! I've noticed that the holidays here are front-loaded into the first half of the year--there's one every month through June and after that there are only 4 and two of those are Christmas and St Stephen's Day at the very end of the year.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Excellent post with the birds and the moon. Have a nice weekend !

    ReplyDelete
  20. REPLY TO
    Granny Marigold who said...
    Long weekends are a bad time to be on the roads. I hope yours is a peaceful and pleasant one.
    Did you get to see the full moon?

    Hello there and thank you for your good wishes for the weekend..
    I didn't get to see the moon, but there were many wonderful photographs of the event on the television news channels and internet, which is where the moon photograph on this post came from.

    Enjoy your weekend.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  21. REPLY TO
    roentare who said...
    Banks take enough breaks throughout each week. They don't need more holidays

    Hello, your comment made me smile :)
    Here is a link to the history of our UK Bank Holidays, which you may find an interesting read:-
    https://bank-holidays.uk/history-of-bank-holidays/

    Enjoy your weekend.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  22. Lovely photos Jan and have a good 3 day holiday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We have our labour day long weekend coning up too

      Delete
  23. Wishing you a wonderful Bank Holiday.
    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Enjoy the holiday and thank you for the pretty pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Happy weekend! I keep forgetting about the Bank Holiday :)

    ReplyDelete
  26. Your pictures are fabulous !!
    That salad is one my favourites.
    Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  27. The chickpea salad looks so tantalising.
    It's strange how the weather has adapted to the usual Bank Holiday mode . . .
    Have a lovely weekend, Jan

    ReplyDelete
  28. I checked—Bank Holiday have actually been around since 1871 :-)) Wishing you a happy holiday.
    The salad looks great. I like.
    Best regards

    ReplyDelete
  29. REPLY TO
    Barwitzki who said ...
    I checked—Bank Holiday have actually been around since 1871 :-)) Wishing you a happy holiday.
    The salad looks great. I like.
    Best regards

    Many thanks for your comment.
    Yes, Bank Holidays here in the UK have been around since 1871
    Should you, or other readers, like to know more about them, the link below will take you to more information about the History of UK Bank Holidays.

    https://bank-holidays.uk/history-of-bank-holidays/

    Good wishes for the weekend.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  30. Great photos of the beach. It sounds like your long Bank holiday weekend is similar to Labor Day in the US (which is next weekend), and the "unofficial end of Summer" marker.

    ReplyDelete
  31. Hello Jan and thank you for visiting my blog once again. If only I was as consistent as you in visiting others. I think staying in this weekend is the best bet as everywhere around here is buy too. We sat out for a while, even pottered around the garden until dark clouds and cool winds developed. I need to make hummus soon, the problem being that I have to eat it all and after a day or two it can become monotonous.

    ReplyDelete
  32. Enjoy the rest of the Bank holiday weekend. We are having lots of rain now and over the next week but I am happy to see nature watering the dry ground again.
    Beautiful photo of the Lunar eclipse.

    ReplyDelete
  33. Brings back memories of when we lived in England and we would go to one of the castles or properties of English Heritage during that weekend. Hope you don't get too much rain so you can enjoy some of the weekend outside :)

    ReplyDelete
  34. I love how this feels like a proper little Bank Holiday catch-up, with the old summer photographs alongside the more recent lunar eclipse. The gulls diving for dinner caught my attention because there is something so entertaining about watching them suddenly go from calmly floating around to throwing themselves into the water when food appears. I also agree about avoiding the roads on a Bank Holiday, they can turn a simple outing into hours of sitting in traffic. The eclipse photograph is beautiful too, and it was a lovely way to finish the post before that colourful chickpea salad. Feta, roasted peppers and chickpeas together sounds like exactly the sort of easy summer lunch I would enjoy. I hope you had a peaceful Bank Holiday weekend, even if the weather decided to be typically British.

    ReplyDelete

The lowcarb team value your comments. Thank you for taking the time to contribute to our blog. Please note! negative comments and insults from anonymous idiots, with nothing to add to the debate will not be authorised. However, we welcome constructive criticism.

The best of health to you and yours.

Eddie