As we say goodbye to July it's time to say hello to August.
Yes, the eighth month of the year is here!
The month of August was named to honour the first Roman emperor (and grandnephew of Julius Caesar), Augustus Caesar (63 B.C..–A.D. 14)
August 1st, traditionally known as Lammas Day, was a festival to mark the annual wheat and corn harvest. Lammas also marked the mid-point between the summer solstice and autumn equinox, and was a cross-quarter day.
August’s zodiac signs are Leo (July 23–August 22) and Virgo (August 23–September 22).
August’s birth flowers are the gladiolus and the poppy.
The gladiolus symbolizes strength of character, sincerity, and generosity.
The poppy symbolizes eternal sleep, oblivion, and also imagination.
August’s primary birthstone is peridot, which is said to symbolize strength and healing power, protecting its wearer from nightmares and evil, ensuring harmony and happiness. Babies born in August are lucky to be guarded by peridot’s good fortune.
All the best Jan


I can't believe August is already here. I hate to think of Fall being right around the corner.
ReplyDeleteThose zucchini boats look good!
...Jan, I wish you an Awesome August, take care and be well.
ReplyDeleteIt's my birth month :-) Happy August, Jan!
ReplyDeleteWishing you a happy August!
ReplyDeleteThanks for this recipe—it looks delicious—and for the info about August.
Hugs, Elke!
I once had a Peridot crystal in my box of assorted crystals, probably it is still there, but I have misplaced the entire collection.
ReplyDeleteLindos e apetitosos barquenhos!
ReplyDeletebeijos, feliz AGOSTO! chica
Auguro un felice agosto anche a te, magari accompagnato da delle temperature "più umane"
ReplyDeleteI hadn't heard of Lammas, nor had I thought that today is the midpoint between the first day of summer and fall. Thanks for some new info Jan. and I hope your August will be a wonderful month.
ReplyDeleteI love the verse, though I'm not so sure about roses growing rare!
ReplyDeleteSuch a nice way to welcome a new month, Jan! I want to be welcoming as well, but how can it be August already?
ReplyDeleteAmalia
xo
To the poppies! Here it was too cold, none went to bloom.
ReplyDeleteMy big Niece was born in August! :-)
I enjoyed the information about the month of August and the zucchini boats are a great idea and look delicious.
ReplyDeleteI didn't know a lot of those for August. Happy month to you.
ReplyDeleteSad to see summer slipping away so fast.
ReplyDeleteMy friend's gladioli are blooming right outside our door. Happy August, Jan!
ReplyDeletePerfect! Himself said that a lot of zucchini are ready in the garden
ReplyDeleteGOOGLE TRANSLATE
ReplyDeletechica
Lindos e apetitosos barquenhos!
beijos, feliz AGOSTO! chica
Beautiful and appetizing little boats!
Kisses, happy August! Chica
Stefania
Auguro un felice agosto anche a te, magari accompagnato da delle temperature "più umane"
I wish you a happy August too—hopefully accompanied by "more humane" temperatures.
Sure hard to believe it is Aug already. Fun reading the Aug facts.
ReplyDeleteThanks for sharing, Jan. August is already here. Wow.
ReplyDeleteHappy August! My birthday month :)
ReplyDeleteThe year is certainly flying by and Autumn will be here before we know it. In our family I have to make the most birthday cards in September and October :) June is pretty packed too
ReplyDeleteInteresante lo que nos cuentas. Feliz agosto para ti.
ReplyDeleteLove the seasonal poetry and the nod to Lammas Day! Bring on the homegrown tomatoes and zucchini pizza boats. August really is such an abundant month.
ReplyDelete