I was spoilt at the weekend . . . I spent time with family and was treated to a wonderful home cooked roast along with some delicious vegetables. How about this lovely vegetable side dish to accompany a weekend family dinner or just to boost a week-night fish or meat supper!
2 tbsp olive oil
1 red chilli, seeds removed and thinly sliced (optional - see below)
100g/3½oz smoked bacon lardons
1 bunch kale* (see below), leaves picked from stems and roughly torn
½ tbsp cider vinegar
1 tsp honey or sugar (any type)
2 tbsp flaked almonds, lightly toasted
salt
Method
1. Heat the oil in a large lidded frying pan over a medium heat. When the oil shimmers, add the chilli and lardons and fry for 1 minute.
2. Turn the heat up to medium–high, add the kale and press the leaves down so they sear. Cook for about 1 minute until lightly browned.
3. Add a splash of water, lower the heat to medium and cover with a lid for a few minutes. Cook for just 1–2 minutes to keep the leaves bright with a little bite (cook longer if you prefer softer kale).
4. Add the vinegar, sugar or honey, almonds and a good pinch of salt. Cook for 1 minute to make sure everything is well combined and the initial sharpness has mellowed from the vinegar.
5. Serve immediately.
i) You can also use cavolo nero or springs greens instead of kale*.
ii) Unless you love lots of heat in your food, it's best to use a fairly mild chilli, like the standard red chillies you can buy from supermarkets, which are mild and fairly sweet. If chilli isn't your thing, the recipe still works well without it.
All the best Jan


This is another good looking recipe. I love almonds on salads because of the nice crunch they add.
ReplyDeleteLooks like a fun side dish, Jan! Happy Fall to you. Been a lovely one here.
ReplyDeleteIt looks beautiful, Jan!
ReplyDeleteThis looks delicious. What a yummy sounding and looking meal. Happy new week Jan.
ReplyDeleteDelicious!-Christine cmlk79.blogspot.com
ReplyDeleteLooks and sounds wonderful! You deserve being spoiled by your family :) All the best, Denise
ReplyDeleteGracias por la receta. Te mando un beso.
ReplyDeleteBacon makes everything taste better.
ReplyDeleteIt looks good and I'm sure it tastes even better.
ReplyDeleteLooks good - I love Kale!
ReplyDeleteJan, wonderful!
ReplyDeleteHow nice that you had a great weekend with the family!
ReplyDeleteI LOVE kale and can´t wait for our season to start (after the first frost).
ReplyDeleteThis dish is delicious—I’ve never made it with almonds and chili before! It’s a nice change of pace.
ReplyDeletehappy Day , hugs Elke
Another delicious recipe, looks yummy.
ReplyDeleteTake care, have a happy day!
It looks delicious. Nothing like have a good home cooked meal by family, Jan.
ReplyDeleteMy mother used to cook kale way back when--I think she used the pressure cooker. I love the idea of the chilli and almonds. I'll have to give this a try. Thanks, Jan!
ReplyDeleteOh yum, doesn't that look appetising. A side dish can certainly elevate a meal.
ReplyDelete