Friday, 17 July 2026

Zoo gets new Capybara as search for Samba continues

Regular readers will know that sometimes I like to post something a little different, and I think this post fits that description perfectly.

"A zoo has welcomed a new capybara as teams continue to search for one that escaped earlier this year.

One-year-old Samba has attracted interest around the world after she went on the run in the Hampshire countryside in March.

A male capybara, Ripple, has now been taken in by Marwell Zoo, near Winchester, from Blackpool Zoo.

Staff said Ripple would provide companionship to fellow capybara Tango, whose sister Samba has continually avoided capture, despite multiple sightings.

The zoo said Ripple would be gradually introduced to Tango, allowing them time to develop a bond.

Capybara Tango - photo credit Marwell Zoo

A spokesperson said: "Once they're comfortable together, they'll move into their fantastic new home at the front of the zoo, complete with a large pool and plenty of space to explore, ready for the start of the summer holidays."

They said the new arrival was "first and foremost" about ensuring Tango's continued welfare, but emphasised that finding Samba remained a priority.

"We know many people will be wondering about Samba," they said.

"Welcoming Ripple does not mean we have stopped searching for her. Our efforts to find Samba continue, and her welfare remains a priority for the team."

Samba escaped from Marwell Zoo on 17 March just one day after arriving.

She slipped out of a temporary holding area alongside her sister Tango, who was quickly recaptured.

But for Samba, the "more adventurous" of the pair, the search has continued for several months.

The young rodent has been spotted outside a pub and sunbathing by a river bank.

Most recently, search teams were deployed to the Brambridge area on 6 July following a credible sighting from a fisherman at the end of June.

But despite huge search efforts involving thermal drones and a specialist sniffer dog, Samba is yet to be successfully captured." 
I first wrote about Samba in post here
Above taken from article seen here

Well I hope Ripple settles well with Tango and that Samba is successfully found.

All the best Jan

28 comments:

  1. The upscale neighborhood of Nordelta, in the city of Tigre (Buenos Aires province, Argentina), experienced an unusual invasion. It's estimated that around 400 capybaras (Hydrochoerus hydrochaeris), known as 'carpinchos' in Argentina, were happily roaming the streets of the city, wreaking havoc everywhere they went: eating garden plants, rummaging through trash bags, and even causing a few traffic accidents.

    https://muyinteresante.okdiario.com/naturaleza/12979.html
    I'll leave you a video in case you want to learn more about capybaras, that's what they're called around here:
    https://youtu.be/7cGV94q8Zx4?si=a3v8ySH6-E34E0_p

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh dear, I hope Samba turns up one day. In the meantime welcome to the new family member. They are adorable animals. Thanks for the share Jan and all the best, Denise

    ReplyDelete
  3. Es muy lindo. Te deseo un buen fin de semana. Te mando un beso.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear Jan, Tango is cute. I hope they find Samba.

    ReplyDelete
  5. ...but will the Capybara find love?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I do hope Samba is soon safely back where she belongs.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I always thought a Capybara would be great company. The capybara spirit animal represents peaceful coexistence, emotional resilience, and a strong sense of community. Known as nature's ultimate mediator, it reminds you to embrace a calm, "go with the flow" attitude, build strong connections with those around you, and navigate life's stressors with unwavering

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love your post, that image is really beautiful . x

    ReplyDelete
  9. I also hope that they find Samba one day and that she is doing well!
    It’s lovely that they have a new capybara!
    Thank you for sharing this beautiful, interesting story with us, dear Jan.
    Have a wonderful weekend! Hugs, Elke

    ReplyDelete
  10. Samba still missing well let's hope he is ok wherever he is.

    ReplyDelete
  11. At least Tango won't be lonely any longer. Samba is enjoying her freedom, apparently.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yes, I hope the same... poor Samba ...

    ReplyDelete
  13. I've never seen a Capybyra. He's cute!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I hope they find Samba and it is a good happy ending.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Samba pulled a Houdini. I hope she has a marvelous adventure before she is safely caught and returned to the zoo.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Maybe he is enjoying his freedom and doesn't want to be found. :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. One can't help wondering where Samba went and if she's safe and well.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I hope Samba is ok wherever he is, the Capybara are cute critters.
    Happy Saturday! Have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Well, I hope they're all together again soon!

    ReplyDelete
  20. dear Jan it was such a cute and fun story :)
    i am happy for Samba who returned home safely after her adventure :)
    blessings

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hopefully Samba will be brought back safely and there can be a trio!

    ReplyDelete
  22. We have Capybara here in Oregon but only in Zoos. In some states it OK to have them as pets. They are huge rodents.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Wow she has been missing for a long time now, so good that she is able to make it on her own. Wish them luck to find her, and that they gets along with the new one. They have those at the Saint Louis zoo too

    ReplyDelete
  24. I don’t think of capybaras as being adventurous, but you never know.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Hello Jan :)
    I had not heard of the Samba's escape but hope she is safe and well wherever she is. Capybara's get on well with all creatures, it's their nature to be calm and kind with other animals. I made a post about them a few years ago. Thanks for writing this true story.
    Enjoy the rest of the weekend.
    All the best,
    Sonjia.

    ReplyDelete
  26. I do hope that Samba is found soon as it must be a very strange environment for her to be wandering around or maybe she is just enjoying her adventure. Either way I hope she is safe. Meanwhile it will be good for her sister to have some company with Ripple's arrival. Good luck to them.

    ReplyDelete

The lowcarb team value your comments. Thank you for taking the time to contribute to our blog. Please note! negative comments and insults from anonymous idiots, with nothing to add to the debate will not be authorised. However, we welcome constructive criticism.

The best of health to you and yours.

Eddie