Monday, 21 September 2026

Autumn Vegetables Roasted, with Lancashire Cheese . . . so tasty!

If you enjoy vegetables, then I'm sure you will find this colourful and hearty vegetarian supper dish very tasty, and so right for Autumn (Fall). Another plus is that it's made in one roasting tin, so saves on the washing up! LOL!


Ingredients
Serves - 4 as a side dish or, 2 as a main dish
1 large butternut squash (about 600-700g/1lb 5oz - 1lb 9oz in weight)
1 medium red onion
6 tbsp. olive oil
1 large sprig fresh sage
1 large courgette (zucchini)
1 tbsp. balsamic or sherry vinegar
100g Lancashire cheese - read about Lancashire Cheese here

Method
1. Preheat the oven to fan180C/conventional 200C/ gas 6. Using a sharp knife, cut the squash in half and scoop out the seeds. Cut the halves into smaller pieces so you can peel them more easily. Chop the flesh into big bite-sized pieces – they don’t have to be neat.

2. Halve the onion and trim the root end leaving a little on to hold the segments together. Peel and then cut each half into four wedges. Scatter the squash and onion in a large roasting tin so they have plenty of room to roast, drizzle over 5 tbsp. of the oil and toss together. Strip the sage leaves from the stem and roughly chop – you should have about 2 tbsps. Scatter over the vegetables and season. Roast for 20 minutes, stirring once halfway through.

3. Meanwhile, slice the courgette thickly and toss with the remaining oil. Remove the roasting tin from the oven and push the partly cooked squash and onion to the side. Put the courgette slices flat on the base and season. Roast for a further 10 minutes, until all the vegetables are tender.

4. Remove tin from the oven, sprinkle the vinegar over the vegetables and toss. Crumble over the Lancashire cheese. Toss lightly so the cheese melts a little and serve.

Nutrition
25g Fat 14g Carb 8g Protein

Can't find Lancashire Cheese!
Read about possible substitutes here

From an original idea here


~ enjoy your day ~

You will find a variety of recipe ideas and articles within this blog, and not all may be suitable for you. Always take account of your personal circumstances, needs, illnesses and medication you may be taking. Any allergies, or underlying health issues must always be taken into account. If you are a diabetic and not sure how certain foods may affect your blood sugars, test is best, i.e. use your meter. If you have any concerns about your health, it is always advisable to consult your doctor or health care team.

All the best Jan

30 comments:

  1. I love these kinds of meals.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful and delish sounding recipe ~ Lancaster Cheese sound fascinating too ~
    Hugs ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've never heard of that type of cheese, I bet it's good!
    Roasted vegetables are always good and this looks especially tasty!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have to say that looks so pretty and colorful for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  5. ...we never roast vegetables and it looks like we should.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Gracias por la receta. Te deseo una buena semana. Te mando un beso.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This sounds delicious. No Lancaster cheese here, but I just finished container of cream cheese a few days ago. I must try this. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love roasted veggies, and with cheese, I'm in heaven. I had never heard of Lancashire cheese, so I'll need to look for it. Peace!

    ReplyDelete
  9. That looks SO good and I could use the recipe as a starting point for my version ( obviously using a Canadian cheese and substituting Winter Savoury for Sage. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  10. the autumn vegie dish looks fabulous - but I think my son would object to no meat. Have a great week and thank you for visiting my blog this week.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hmmm, those cheeses sound yummy!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. One roasting tin and hardly any washing up is honestly the real selling point here, right alongside that lovely combination of squash, sage and melted Lancashire. Definitely one to bookmark for a quick autumn supper, Jan.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Looks interesting, I do like roasted vegetables.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Looks good and sounds good, Jan. I often have roast vegetables.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I would like to taste that typical British cheese. I have seen Ceddar cheese here in Rome, and I bought it, but I haven't seen Lancashire cheese on the supermarket 's shelves.

    Greetings,
    G.

    ReplyDelete
  16. A wonderful recipe! I don't have that specific cheese, but I'll use another one instead—like an aged Cheddar!

    ReplyDelete
  17. dear friend Jan !
    i liked this recipe ,very healthy and easy to cook 👍
    thank you for sharing the dish having all i like except squash (it hruts now for some unknowing reason )🥰

    ReplyDelete
  18. That looks delicious, I haven't eaten Lancashire Cheese for years!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Looks nice and tasty. The cheese sounds good but I don't know if we can get it here.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I had never heard of Lancashire cheese. It seems like it'd be delicious! If I ever see any, I'll try it!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Looks delicious and fun starting to eat fall recipes. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  22. You've given me a good idea for tonight's dinner. I have the ingredients you suggest

    ReplyDelete
  23. I am so excited about all the Autumn eating goodies :)

    ReplyDelete
  24. Delicious comfort food. This sounds amazing, and I haven't eaten Lancashire cheese in ages, so I need to rectify that. X

    ReplyDelete
  25. Roasted Vegetables are the best! This sounds so delicious topped with cheese, but I'd have to use a substitute as I've never seen Lancashire cheese here.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Seguro que están buenísimas. Besos.

    ReplyDelete

The lowcarb team value your comments. Thank you for taking the time to contribute to our blog. Please note! negative comments and insults from anonymous idiots, with nothing to add to the debate will not be authorised. However, we welcome constructive criticism.

The best of health to you and yours.

Eddie