Tuesday, 22 September 2026

Did You Know ?


1. What Day Of The Week Has A One-Word Anagram?

A. Monday is the only day of the week with a valid English anagram, where its letters can be rearranged to spell the word “dynamo.”

2. What is the first colour a baby can see?

A. It's red, which they usually see within a few weeks of birth. Newborns initially perceive the world mostly in shades of black, white, and grey. After red, babies gradually begin to perceive other primary colours like green, blue, and yellow over the next few months. By around five months of age, most infants can see the full spectrum of colours, though their ability to distinguish subtle shades continues to improve as their visual system matures.

3. How much of our oceans have been explored?

A. Only 5%. The ocean covers around 70% of the Earth’s surface, and it is much harder to explore than land.

As much as 20% of the ocean floor has now been mapped, thanks to advancements in sonar technologies. The reason we’ve explored so little of the ocean is that the technology needed has only developed over the last 100 years.

While humans have made remarkable advances in understanding the ocean, the vast majority remains unexplored, both biologically and geologically. Continuous technological innovation and international collaboration are essential to find out more.

4. How far away can a lions roar be heard?

A. Five miles. A lion can roar as loud as 114 decibels, roughly 25 times louder than a gas-powered lawnmower.

Lions can roar louder than other big cats because of the shape of their vocal cords. This allows them to produce more noise with less effort.

5. What is the national animal of Scotland?

A. A unicorn. Yes, unicorns, which symbolise purity and power, have been present in various cultures since the Middle Ages, including Celtic mythology.

In the mid-1500s, the unicorn was introduced to the royal coat of arms of Scotland, representing the natural enemy of England’s national animal, the lion.

Since the 1707 union of England and Scotland, the royal arms of the United Kingdom include a unicorn and a lion, displaying unity between the two countries.

--------------

I hope you enjoyed these five questions/facts - did you know any of them?
Do please share your thoughts in the comments.


~ enjoy your September days ~

This blog is presented in a magazine style, and you will find a variety of articles, studies, thoughts, funnies, photographs, music and recipes. However, not all the recipe ideas featured in this blog may be suitable for you. If you may have any food allergies, or underlying health issues these must always be taken into account. If you are a diabetic (more about this here) and not sure how certain foods may affect your blood sugars, test is best, i.e., use your meter. If you have any concerns about your health, it is always advisable to consult your doctor or health care team.

All the best Jan

36 comments:

  1. Oooh, some I did know and some I did not know, Jan! Thank you so much for sharing, dear friend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those are all interesting things. I wonder how they can tell what colors a baby can see?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Regarding the main part of ocean floor, world governments will hold the same international collaboration as we see in Antarctica.

    Great post, Jan.
    Greetings,
    G.

    ReplyDelete
  4. ...if this were a test in school, I would failed it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. How interesting. I didn't know any of them.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What might lie at the bottom of those oceans that have not yet been explored?

    ReplyDelete
  7. I did not know the answers to these questions. Getting wiser

    ReplyDelete
  8. REPLY TO
    Mari who said ...
    Those are all interesting things. I wonder how they can tell what colors a baby can see?

    Hello Mari
    Thank you for your comment and question.
    Scientists cannot ask a baby what they see. Instead, researchers rely on behavioral methods to infer colour perception. The most common technique is the visual preference test. An infant is shown two identical shapes — one in colour and one in grey. If the baby stares longer at the coloured shape, researchers conclude the baby can tell the difference.
    Much more to read here:-
    https://hbmag.com/do-infants-see-in-color-complete-guide/

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  9. Boa noite Jan. Acho que não conseguiria responder, todas as suas perguntas. Uma excelente manhã de quarta-feira e um grande abraço carioca, para você e todos os seus familiares no Reino Unido.

    ReplyDelete
  10. REPLY TO
    Giorgio and Norma2 who both commented on the ocean, question 3.
    My thanks to you both.

    Giorgio; I think it is good that world governments will hold the same international collaboration as we see in Antarctica.

    Norma2; it will be interesting in the years ahead to see what is discovered.

    It may interest you both, and other readers, there is a very interesting read/article by the Royal Museums Greenwich:-

    How much of the ocean has been explored?

    The ocean may be the 'largest unexplored place on Earth', but we are learning more all the time. Discover how people and technology are helping to make sense of our blue planet.

    Lots to read on the link below, plus of course other articles on the internet:-
    https://www.rmg.co.uk/stories/ocean/how-much-ocean-has-been-explored

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete

  11. GOOGLE TRANSLATE
    Luiz Gomes
    Boa noite Jan. Acho que não conseguiria responder, todas as suas perguntas. Uma excelente manhã de quarta-feira e um grande abraço carioca, para você e todos os seus familiares no Reino Unido.

    Good evening, Jan. I don't think I could answer all your questions. Wishing you a wonderful Wednesday morning and sending a big *Carioca* hug to you and all your family in the UK.

    -------

    Thank you for your good wishes Luiz. Have a happy Wednesday.

    All the best Jan

    Obrigado pelos seus votos de felicidades, Luiz. Tenha uma ótima quarta-feira.

    Tudo de bom, Jan.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow I did not know any of these, I had no clue that babies can't see all colors when they are born, and I feel I should have known at least that one :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Muy interesante. Te mando un beso.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I didn't know any of them (but now I do, thank you) and I really like the unicorn!

    ReplyDelete
  15. They are all very interesting, but 5 miles for a lion's roar. I would have never guessed. A fun post. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I did not know about the Unicorn. I have heard a lion roar, at the zoo long ago we were there in time for the lion feeding and as he got impatient he roared several times. I was very impressed., I love Lions.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I enjoyed that. I do know about babies seeing red first and I think black - they have red and black little 'first' books.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I didn't know any of that—it was interesting. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I knew about the baby and the color red from my cognitive psychology class. I also know that every few month, some scientist discovers a new species in the ocean. I didn't know 1, 4, and especially 5!!!

    ReplyDelete
  20. These are interesting and I don't think I knew any, Jan.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Very interesting, especially about the ocean. With a Brother as optometrist, who has two daughters I "of course" knew about what babies see. It was so cute how excited he was over his first daughter! She´s 16 now...

    ReplyDelete
  22. Interesting facts, Jan. Thank you so much.
    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  23. All fun facts. I never knew that about the lion and the unicorn!

    ReplyDelete
  24. I knew about the unicorn, and I had known and forgotten about the babies' color perception from something I read as a new parent (38 years ago??). Thank you for educating us.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Hi Jan,
    Super interesting.
    I didn't know the answers to those questions.
    We are always learning.
    Hugs and all the best for you
    Maria

    ReplyDelete
  26. I didn't know any of thse interesting facts. Thanks Jan, enjoy the rest of the week Jan.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Interesting post..I had forgotten some of the baby facts and others I never knew..Thanks for the refresher!!

    ReplyDelete
  28. A unicorn.. couldn't have imagined a better one for the magical lands of Scotland.

    ReplyDelete
  29. I didn't know red was the first color babies can see.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Hello Jan. Thanks for sharing the linf of the article published by the Royal Museums Greenwich. It reminds us how much of the Earth is covered by water.
    Greetings,
    G.

    ReplyDelete
  31. I can actually say I hadn't heard of any of these..........

    ReplyDelete
  32. I did not know any of these. So interesting!

    ReplyDelete
  33. Que interesante, me encantó saber de ellos. Besos.

    ReplyDelete

The lowcarb team value your comments. Thank you for taking the time to contribute to our blog. Please note! negative comments and insults from anonymous idiots, with nothing to add to the debate will not be authorised. However, we welcome constructive criticism.

The best of health to you and yours.

Eddie