Thursday, 1 October 2026

Mushroom, Bacon and Leek Casserole ... a tasty dish

 

This quick, creamy mushroom casserole may well become a favourite dish. Served with pasta, rice or a hunk of crusty bread. Of course if you are diabetic or a 'low carber' you may prefer to swap the pasta for courgetti, rice for cauliflower rice and bread - just use a lower carb alternative - see here.

Ingredients
Serves Four
50g/1¾oz unsalted butter, plus extra to finish
1 leek, sliced
3 rashers smoked streaky bacon, diced
100ml/3½fl oz dry white wine
5 Portobello mushrooms, chopped
350–400ml/12–14fl oz beef stock
100ml/3½fl oz crème fraîche
¼ tsp paprika
salt and pepper
small handful of freshly chopped flatleaf parsley, to garnish

Method
1. Heat a deep non-stick frying pan over a medium heat. Add the butter and when it sizzles, add the leek and bacon and fry for 6–8 minutes, until the leek is softened and caramelised and the bacon crispy.
2. Pour in the wine and allow to bubble for a couple of minutes before adding the mushrooms. Cook for 2–3 minutes to soften, then add 350ml/12fl oz beef stock and season well with salt and pepper. Reduce the heat to low and simmer for 25–30 minutes, adding a touch more stock if needed.
3. Stir in the crème fraîche, paprika and a knob of butter and simmer for a further 5 minutes.
4. Check the seasoning and serve garnished with chopped parsley.
From original idea here

For those that may like a vegetarian mushroom dish ...
Mushroom Bourguignon with Celeriac Mash, see it here


~ enjoy your October days ~

Dear reader, you will find a variety of recipe ideas within this blog. It is important to note, not all may be suitable for you. Always take account of your personal circumstances, needs, illnesses and medication you may be taking. If you may have any food allergies, or underlying health issues these must always be taken into account. If you are a diabetic and not sure how certain foods may affect your blood sugars, test is best, i.e. use your meter. If you have any concerns about your health it is always advisable to consult your Doctor or health care team.

All the best Jan

34 comments:

  1. If I can ever find leeks where I live, I'll try them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. REPLY TO
    Mary Kirkland who said ...
    If I can ever find leeks where I live, I'll try them

    Hello Mary ... many thanks for your comment.
    If you can't get leeks the closest substitutes for them are green onions (scallions), shallots, and sweet/yellow onions, with scallions being the best 1:1 swap for most cooked dishes.

    It's a tasty dish.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, Jan, this sounds absolutely scrumptious!!! Thank you so much for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gracias por la receta. . Te mando un beso

    ReplyDelete
  5. Another delicious looking recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This sounds very good. Thanks for the info on substitutions for the leeks, we don't see them around here either.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think that is looks amazing - do you make all the food you show? Yummy?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Fall is a great time for casseroles. This looks really good.

    ReplyDelete
  9. The Mushroom Bourguignon (spelling?) looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  10. my stores don't always have leeks. if i can't find them, i use scallions or sweet onions. i love october but the temperatures are getting warmer, no colder!! i'm ready for snow..

    ReplyDelete
  11. You have so many delicious looking dishes.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Jan, thanks for this recipe, I love dishes you eat with a spoon, especially now that winter is coming and it will be colder, it will be nice to eat something warm :))
    Friday hug to you, Andreja!

    ReplyDelete

  13. That looks delicious with the mushrooms—thanks!
    Have a lovely October day. Hugs, Elke

    ReplyDelete
  14. Looks like it warms you up. Brrr, I´m so cold!

    ReplyDelete
  15. That recipe is perfect, Jan, as I've just bought some mushrooms from a local farmer.

    ReplyDelete
  16. This looks wonderfully rich and comforting, with the earthy mushrooms, smoky bacon and creamy crème fraîche making a particularly tempting combination.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh my goodness, Jan! That looks delicious! We love mushrooms here so I will need to give this a try. Thanks for sharing the recipe. Hope you are doing well. xx

    ReplyDelete
  18. Another delicious recipe! Happy Friday, have a great day and a happy weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Looks delicious-Christine cmlk79.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  20. This looks amazing Jan. Happy FRiday. I hope October has started well for you.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Another great Fall recipe. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Love portobello mushrooms ~ great recipe for cooler days ~ Hugs ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  23. I have used leeks in the past and mushrooms are a favorite of my husbands, so this recipe may be in a future meal plan.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Looks very tasty!It is probably good for my diabetes as well😊

    ReplyDelete
  25. That's an interesting dish. I've never used creme fraiche.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Soup for October seems like a lovely idea!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Looks nice, thanks. Although 3 rashers of bacon and 5 mushrooms doesn't sound enough to feed 4.

    ReplyDelete
  28. This does sound extremely wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  29. I am so enjoying our October day, we are having lovely weather just now, so thankful!

    ReplyDelete
  30. This looks so good. Happy October.

    ReplyDelete

The lowcarb team value your comments. Thank you for taking the time to contribute to our blog. Please note! negative comments and insults from anonymous idiots, with nothing to add to the debate will not be authorised. However, we welcome constructive criticism.

The best of health to you and yours.

Eddie