Total Pageviews

Friday 17 April 2020

Six Healing Benefits of Cumin


"One slightly-bitter, fragrant, and healing spice has been a mainstay in our kitchen for the longest time. Cumin, in all its forms, is one spice I can’t resist including in any dish. It adds the perfect amount of depth to Mexican flavours, a rich and healing element to Indian dishes, and a bite to my favourite Middle Eastern cuisines. The real reason I love cumin? It’s so much more than the taste. This ancient spice has been used since the beginning of time for it’s healing properties. In fact, Ancient Roman and Greek societies used to use it as a cheaper alternative to black pepper! But our love for the spice goes deeper than that...

1. Powerful Digestive Aid

Cumin is one of the most vital ingredients in Ayurvedic Kitchari, noted as being an extremely powerful digestive aid. There’s a number of reasons our gastrointestinal tract responds to the seed; most importantly, cumin contains oils that stimulate secretion of pancreatic enzymes that are crucial for both digestion and nutrient absorption. There’s a reason cultures like those in India and the Middle East have such great digestion, and it’s thanks to this humble seed. 

2. Contains Anti-Cancer Properties
This term gets thrown around a lot in natural nutrition, but there’s an incredible amount of research going into how effective the healing properties of cumin really are. The seed is packed full of nutrients with free-radical scavenging tendencies, prompting a closer look from the scientific community into the healing properties that have been used in Ayurvedic practice for centuries.

3. Rich Source of Iron
While it’s not advised to get all of your Recommended Daily Intake from a spice jar, getting creative with the cumin in your meals can help boost those vital iron levels. 100gm of the spice contains 66.4mg of the essential mineral, and while we don’t recommend eating cumin seeds by the spoonful, a pinch here and there can all add up at the end of the day.

4. Beat The Bloat & Increase Urine Flow To Detoxify
We’ve established (and if we’ve ever eaten too much, it’s pretty easy to tell) that cumin has wonderful digestive properties, but there’s another way that the spice can help us fight that bloated feeling. Cumin is a natural diuretic, promoting healthy kidney function and ridding of toxins within the body. Increased urine flow within the body helps to tackle any blockages and let go of any water retention. In essence, the seed serves to promote detoxification within these pathways.

5. Gives Power To Reproductive Health
There are two ways that cumin helps to keep our reproductive systems thriving. The spice is a natural aphrodisiac, increasing sexual desire by way of chemical reactions in the brain - so put down the oysters and pick up a spice jar instead. Cumin has also been noted for playing a role in a healthy menstrual cycle. It helps to contract the uterus, which can release any trapped blood. If you are having issues with an irregular cycle, try soaking two tablespoons of the seed in a glass of water overnight, and drinking first thing the next morning. This can be repeated until your cycle becomes regular.

6. Adds Punchy, Salivating Flavour 
My favourite part about the spice is it just smells so nourishing and homely when it’s heated on the stove. The sound of the seeds popping and the smell of the spice emulsifying get me salivating; there’s a good reason for this. Science tells us that even the mere mention of a food can trigger a reaction in the brain to stimulate saliva production, which produces vital enzymes to help break down our food from the outset."

Some Recipes That Use Cumin

Cumin, alongside all the wonderful health benefits, has so much versatility in the kitchen. 

Cumin Scrambled Eggs - more details here
Takka Dhal With Spinach And Fresh Tomato - more details here
Locro Southern American Stew, so warming - more details here
Roasted Lamb Steaks with almonds and a tomato ragu - more details here

Do you like to use cumin in your cooking?
Why not consider these recipes to get inspired in the kitchen and serve up your most healing dish yet...
See original article with more recipes here

As regular readers know, we bring a variety of articles, studies etc. plus recent news/views and recipe ideas to this blog, we hope something for everyone to read and enjoy... but please note, not all may be suitable for you.

If you may have any food allergies, or underlying health issues these must always be taken into account. If you are a diabetic and not sure how certain foods may affect your blood sugars, test is best, i.e. use your meter.

All the best Jan

27 comments:

Tom said...

...something that I know little about!

Christine said...

Good to know, I often use cumin.

R's Rue said...

Good to know

Pom Pom said...

Hi Jan! So good to know!

JFM said...

I am so grateful to you and your team for all of the research that you and your team share with us.

Thank you!
Stay Safe 🌷

Valerie-Jael said...

I use cumin a lot. It's good. Valerie

Jo said...

I don't use cumin but it's got so many benefits, I shall have to give some of those recipes a try.

CJ Kennedy said...

I don't think I've ever used this spice.

My name is Erika. said...

This is interesting. I've heard people talk about cumin but didn't know what it did.

Caty said...

It is a very interesting post, thank you very much for sharing it. I did not know all the properties of cumin, I think I will gradually add it to my dishes.
Wish you a very nice weekend, stay safe and well, and
big hugs,

Elephant's Child said...

Cummin is one of my go to spices. I add it to lots of things and love its distinctive smell and taste.

Jeanie said...

Cumin is one of my favorite spices but I had not idea about the additional benefits! Now I know!

Chris Lally said...

Great info on cumin! We put it in our homemade hummus.

happyone said...

We use cumin but didn't know it was good for all those things.

Lorrie said...

Very interesting. I like using cumin in Mexican food.

peppylady (Dora) said...

I can believe it

Iris Flavia said...

I love Cumin and use it often - now probably even more, thank you for the info!

mamasmercantile said...

I learnt a lot from that. Thank you.

Miss Val's Creations said...

Cumin is delicious and smells amazing! It is a spice we use often in our kitchen. All those health benefits are such a bonus.

dellgirl said...

This is a really interesting and informative post. It is very helpful. Thank you for sharing such an informative article. This is good to know.

DVArtist said...

I use Cumin in almost everything I make. Plus I have a tea I drink too.

Blue Grumpster said...

Cumin... Will give it a try as too mny people are dying of cancer these days. Thanks for the tip, and thank you for always stopping by, even when I'm blue.

Stay safe,
Blue

Carola Bartz said...

I love love love cumin. It's one of my favorite spices and so versatile. Mexican dishes, Chinese dishes, Middle Eastern dishes... ah yummy!

Snowbird said...

You have inspired me to use cumin more often.xxx

Magic Love Crow said...

Very interesting! Thank you Jan! Something I will have to look into!!!

Conniecrafter said...

I have heard it is very good for you but didn't really know what to put it in and was worried about it making something taste bad. Thanks for the ideas!
Hope you are all taking care of yourself!

baili said...

i cannot imagine my daily dishes without cumin :)

it is essential part of everyday cooking here
good to know how it works to better our healthy dear Jan!
more blessing to your days!