Total Pageviews

Thursday 15 April 2021

Tarragon ... a popular and versatile herb, and some recipe suggestions


Tarragon is a popular and versatile herb, it has an intense flavour that's a unique mix of sweet aniseed and a mild vanilla. The leaves are narrow, tapering and slightly floppy, growing from a long, slender stem. It's a key herb in French cuisine (it's an essential ingredient in sauce Bernaise), and goes very well with eggs, cheese and poultry.

Choose the best:
Go for fresh-looking leaves, with no dis-colouration or wilting. French tarragon is considered to be the best - its flavour is more subtle than the coarser Russian tarragon. Dried tarragon is also available. Or, for a ready supply, keep a pot on your windowsill, or grow in your garden or window box.

Prepare it:
Wash, then use whole sprigs or strip the leaves from the stalks and use whole or chopped.

Store it:
Fresh cut tarragon should be wrapped in damp kitchen paper, placed in a perforated bag and stored in the fridge. It will last for around 4-5 days. Dried tarragon should be kept in an airtight container in a cool, dark place - it should last for 4-6 months.

Cook it:
Use to make sauces for fish and poultry. Add to salad dressings; use to flavour butter or white wine vinegar.

Here are some recipes featuring Tarragon you may like to try

 
Chicken Thighs with Mushrooms, Shallots and Tarragon : Low Carb
more details here


Sea Bass with a Tarragon Crust : A Mary Berry Tasty Dish
more details here


Lamb Chops with a Carrot and Tarragon Mash
more details here


Chicken, Avocado, Bacon and Tarragon Salad : LCHF
more details here

Dear reader, this blog offers a wide variety of articles and recipe ideas, not all may be suitable for you. If you may have any food allergies, or underlying health issues these must always be taken into account. If you are a diabetic and not sure how certain foods may affect your blood sugars, test is best, i.e. use your meter.

All the best Jan

31 comments:

Elephant's Child said...

Thanks for the reminder. It is a herb I too often forget.

Ananka said...

I don't remember the taste of this but must have tried it!

My name is Erika. said...

I don't usually use tarragon, but I love the flavors you described it to have. Maybe I will get a plant when the herbs come out for sale and give it a try. Thanks!

Tom said...

...I've heard of it, but don't use it.

happyone said...

I've not used fresh tarragon but do use it in dry form.

Martha said...

Tarragon is very good and all the recipes sound fantastic!

Christine said...

Delicious ideas!

J.P. Alexander said...

Gracias por las recetas no suelo poner mucho estragón pero lo voy intentar. Te mando un beso

magiceye said...

Delicious ways to use it.

William Kendall said...

I don't recall hearing of this herb before.

Fun60 said...

I can't recall ever using fresh tarrogon. I think I am missing a trick here.

Valerie-Jael said...

More wonderful and tempting food! Valerie

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

I tried growing tarragon, but it didn't overwinter. I love it fresh so I plan to buy another plant this spring. Several of the recipes sound great.

eileeninmd said...

Hello,

They all look like delicious dishes using the Tarragon. I would love trying the salad, yum!
Have a great day and a happy weekend!

Jenn Jilks said...

I don't think I use it much! Great post.

CJ Kennedy said...

I don't think I've ever used tarragon. The flavor notes you described are two that I like.

PerthDailyPhoto said...

Going to try all of these Jan, not the lamb though, I've never eaten lamb or pork, get told constantly that I'm missing out there 😀

Bill said...

I've heard of it but never had it.

Inger said...

I like tarragon and your dishes look just so good. Thanks for this,

Stevenson Q said...

Oh dear Jan, I am so in love with taragon tea! And Whenever I see live herbs from a restaurant's patio, whenever I see taragon I get a couple of leaves and crush it on my finger tips, smells like Sarsi Soda!

Susan Zarzycki said...

Yum! The recipes look very interesting. Thanks for sharing. This is one herb that I seldom think about.🌷🌸🌷

sandy said...

I haven't seen that herb since my mom had some in her c abinet in the 60's I believe. It's actually a beautiful word..."Tarragon"..

Luiz Gomes said...

Boa tarde acho que estragão é uma erva que nunca provei em nenhum prato, obrigado pela dica maravilhosa.

R's Rue said...

Yum

Jeanie said...

I love tarragon but I don't cook with it nearly so often as I should so thanks for sharing these. Have a wonderful weekend!

Teresa said...

Buenas recetas. Besos.

Kay said...

I think I've only used tarragon with our turkey stuffing during Thanksgiving. Sounds like it can be quite versatile. What fun!

baili said...

what a wonderful use of tarragon in such delicious looking dishes:)

thank you for sharing ,they all are so appealing

pam nash said...

Tarragon is one of my favorite herbs. I can't grow it here (too hot/humid) but Texas Mint Marigold has the same flavor and grows like a champ!

DVArtist said...

I do like using Tarragon and these meals look fabulous.

Magic Love Crow said...

Very interesting post! Thank you! I have never used tarragon! Thanks for the recipes! Big Hugs!