Total Pageviews

Thursday 24 June 2021

Courgette / Zucchini Gratin : A tasty low carb light meal or side dish


This is a lovely recipe from 'The Hairy Bikers'. If you haven't heard of  The Hairy Bikers they are "David Myers and Simon King, two northern blokes with a passion for cooking and food." This simple gratin makes a great side dish as it’s creamy and flavoursome without being too rich - or why not serve with a salad for a light supper!

Ingredients
Serves Four
2 tbsp. olive oil
800g/1lb 12oz courgettes (zucchini), sliced into 5mm/¼in rounds
few sprigs thyme
few basil leaves
100ml/3½fl oz. crème fraîche
50ml/2fl oz. milk
1 tsp plain flour
75g/2½oz gruyère or similar cheese, grated
salt and freshly ground black pepper

Method
1. Preheat the oven to 200C/Fan 180C/Gas 6
2. Put the olive oil in a large, lidded frying pan. Add the courgettes and herbs and season with salt and pepper.
3. Cover and cook gently for 10 minutes, stirring every so often, until the courgettes have softened slightly but are still al dente. The oil should have taken on a deep, rich green colour from the courgettes.
4. Transfer to an oven dish. Whisk the crème fraîche, milk and flour together in a bowl and season with salt. Pour this mixture over the courgettes – it will not be enough to completely cover the courgettes, but this is fine – it will bubble up when cooking.
5. Sprinkle over the cheese. Bake in the oven for around 25 minutes, or until brown and bubbling.

Nutrition each serving
10g protein, 5.5g carbohydrate, 23g fat, 2g fibre, 0.7g salt.
Recipe from here
Read more about Gruyère cheese in this post here

Dear reader you will find a variety of articles/recipe ideas within this blog. Please note, not all may be suitable for you. If you may have any food allergies, or underlying health issues these must always be taken into account. If you are a diabetic and not sure how certain foods may affect your blood sugars, test is best, i.e. use your meter.

All the best Jan

31 comments:

Tom said...

...soon we will be looking for new ways to eat zucchini!

William Kendall said...

I have to admit that I have not generally been a fan of zucchini.

J.P. Alexander said...

Genial forma de hacer calabacin, gracias por la receta,

Christine said...

It looks delicious!

Elephant's Child said...

And when zucchini season comes round every recipe is welcome. Thank you.

Lee said...

I've just finished my lunch...a couple of small salmon fillets and salad... :)

Angie said...

Jan - great recipe, especially for people who might be growing courgettes and have too many!

Margaret D said...

Looking delicious.

Valerie-Jael said...

Looks delicious, I made a Zucchini lasagne recently, it was wonderful, too! Valerie

Jo said...

It looks lovely, and a good way of using up those courgettes when there's a glut.

baili said...

this is absolutely mouthwatering dear Jan

thank you for sharing the tasty recipe
more blessings to you and yours!

Enara Girl said...

It looks yummy! I post a lot of recipes without sugar in my instagram @enarasgram because my baby eats without sugar and me too, almost always. You have better recipes than me anyway. I will follow you, if you want follow me you would make me happy. xoxo

sheila 77 said...

This has come along at just the right time as we picked our first courgettes this morning.
Thanks!

Sue said...

This looks delicious, you had me with anything to do with cheese! xx

My name is Erika. said...

This really looks good too. Oh I can't wait for my garden to start producing yummy veggies.

At Home In New Zealand said...

I always enjoy watching The Hairy Bikers on TV :)
I like the sound of this recipe and will have to put it on my To Try list.

eileeninmd said...

Looks delicious! I would love to try this recipe.
Have a happy day!

Martha said...

Delicious for sure!

Miss Val's Creations said...

Yum! One of my favorite veggies. I love how zucchini sort of melts in the mouth!

R's Rue said...

These recipes always leave me craving them and cooking in the kitchen.

Divers and Sundry said...

This looks delicious and doesn't sound hard at all. It'll make a nice change. Thx!

Ygraine said...

Oh I really must try this...SOON! It looks so delicious, a real comfort food!!😊😊
Many thanks for sharing...and for your kind and thoughtful comments on my blog.

I do hope all is good with you!

Hugs xxx

Bill said...

That looks delicious!

Mary Kirkland said...

That sounds delicious. I love zucchini.

Elkes Lebensglück said...

What a delicious casserole!
Greetings Elke

Practical Parsimony said...

I was drooling reading the cooking directions!

DVArtist said...

Oh this is one I will try tomorrow with fresh squash from the garden.

Ananka said...

That looks great, I do love courgettes :-D

Teresa said...

Una receta interesante. Besos.

Martha said...

This looks really good!

Magic Love Crow said...

I love your recipes Jan! Thank you!