Total Pageviews

Thursday 29 July 2021

'Oh my back aches'

Tips To Keep Your Spine Healthy
Have you ever thought or said 'oh my back aches'? From time to time, I'm sure most of us may well have! There are things that you can do to help keep your spine healthy ... as Dr. Brent Wells writes:

"Whether you know it or not, your spine has a huge influence on your overall health and well-being. Not only is it the main support system for keeping your body upright and moving, but there are also plenty of internal systems that rely on a healthy spine to function properly.

With over 80% of people experiencing back pain at some point throughout their life, it isn't unlikely that you will become a part of that statistic. That is unless you take action now and work at building a healthy spine. By doing what you have to now in a preventative way you have a lot less chance of developing something later on.

These five daily habits that you can include in your normal rituals aren't anything overcomplicated either. You can start making small changes now and continue adding as you go along until all of the habits have become part of your lifestyle. Soon, you will be able to rest easy knowing that your spine is in good condition and so is your health.


How to Make Your Spine Strong
Research has proven that if you live a sedentary lifestyle, you are more at risk for developing issues with your spine including back pain. You need to get up and get moving and keep that a regular part of your daily activities. It doesn't necessarily mean that you have to go spend hours at the gym either. Do any of these healthy spine exercises to keep yourself moving and your spine strong:
Bike ride
Walk
Swim
Play with your kids
Go to the gym
Dance
Yoga
Any of the exercises that you do, if your focus is on how to keep a healthy spine for life, you need to choose ones that are a combination of strengthening, aerobic, and stretching exercises to see the best results.

Choosing the Right Food for Spine Health
Eating healthy and making the proper nutritional choices is always an important aspect to take into consideration not only for spine health but for your overall well-being. There are some foods that will help in reducing any inflammation and building strong bones which all lead to a healthier spine. Building strong bones now will help in protecting you from developing osteoporosis further on down the road as well, which is also a leading problem for back issues. Foods that are high in Vitamin D and calcium that should be included as part of your spine care tips are:
Leafy green vegetables
Fruits
Fatty fish
Beans
Eggs
Nuts
Milk
Yogurt
Cheese
Be sure to eat a well-balanced diet including any or all of these in the proper portion size for your body type.

Maintaining a Healthy Weight
While diet is essential for how to make the spine strong, it's just as important to reach and maintain a healthy weight. Obesity is an epidemic in the United States affecting over 39% of adults in the United States according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention from 2015 to 2016.

While there are major health concerns for people that overweight including heart disease, type 2 diabetes, and even cancer, those extra pounds also add stress to your muscles, ligaments, tendons, and your spine. Getting regular exercise and following a proper diet are essential parts of keeping your spine healthy and strong.

Be Mindful of Ergonomics
You spend the majority of your time at work. (Covid restrictions allowing). It could be a career in a factory where you are repeating the same motions over and over again or sitting at a computer desk all day that is adding pressure to your spine.
Whatever the case is, you need to do everything you can as far as ergonomics go to improve the conditions of your job and the effects it has on your body. That could mean getting a different computer chair, desk, or keyboard. It could also include changing up the way you complete your physical tasks by using equipment where you would have used your body strength before to prevent injury.
If you aren't sure about what can be done to improve your working conditions, talk with a medical professional first about your concerns. He or she can give you an idea and some recommendations that you can take to your manager or supervisor so that changes can be implemented.

Get a Good Night's Sleep
You think that you just have to go to sleep at night because you're tired, however, there is so much more going on while you're tucked comfortably in your bed. That's when your body has the opportunity to not only rest but also heal itself of any ailments that are occurring that you may not even be aware of. If you aren't getting a good night's sleep, your body doesn't have the opportunity to go through that healing process.
Start by investing in a mattress and pillow that support your neck and keep your body in proper alignment. By doing so, you will put less pressure on the spine, up to 50% less for some people. Additionally, sleep on your side instead of your stomach. When you are laying on your stomach you are only adding more pressure to the spine which will eventually lead to discomfort or pain.

Treatment for an Unhealthy Spine
If you do have problems with your spine, you may want to get treatment for it right away. It can have a huge influence on your daily activities if you can't move around properly..."
These words, and more, from article here

I wonder?
Have you a favourite exercise from the list given above that helps keep your spine that little bit fitter and healthier? Mine is walking.
Do you eat any of the foods, listed above, that can help spine health? What would be your favourite three? Mine would be leafy green vegetables, fatty fish and eggs, but I do enjoy them all.


Dear reader, you will find a variety of articles and recipe ideas, within this blog. It is important to note, not all may be suitable for you. If you may have any food allergies, or underlying health issues these must always be taken into account. If you are a diabetic and not sure how certain foods may affect your blood sugars, test is best, i.e. use your meter.

All the best Jan

30 comments:

Miss Val's Creations said...

Such great information Jan! The spine is so important. I also love walking and practice yoga too. Both do wonders for me since my lifestyle/work is very sedentary.

J.P. Alexander said...

Gracias por los consejos. De ejercicios. yo camino y hago la bicicleta estática. Te mando un beso

Lori Miller said...

I've found restorative yoga helpful.

Christine said...

Thanks for these great tips!

Angie's Recipes said...

Very helpful and great tips! I find yoga really helps.

William Kendall said...

Good advice!

Iris Flavia said...

I eat some of the food, walk and do sports. My back still kills me at times (might be the darn scoliosis) - off to LIDL, some 2km one way :-)

Margaret D said...

Back pain can be a great problem for those that have it or feel it now and then.
Nice article Jan.

Jo said...

I've been suffering with sciatica on and off for the past year and I'm now more aware than ever how important it is to look after your back. Some good tips here.

Valerie-Jael said...

My fave exercises are walking, stretching and swimming! Valerie

aussie aNNie said...

Great tips, hope they work for many sufferers. xx

DUTA said...

Walking should be a way of life, not an exercise, but people are in the car most of the time. A proper body weight is of great importance for the back and legs, but people keep indulging in eating the wrong products and gain weight.

Tom said...

...information that I need, thanks.

Creations By Cindy said...

Great read today. I have really tried to pay attention to how I sit at my desk. It's so easy to slump causing pain for neck and back. I've also found that yoga, for me that is gentle yoga and beginner yoga, has really helped me. Thanks for the tips on the food items too. Have a great day. Hugs and blessings, Cindy

DeniseinVA said...

I am going to bookmark this. Thanks so much for a great article!

Kinga K. said...

Amazing tips ❤

Salty Pumpkin Studio said...

How did you know! lol
Day 3 from wrong way weeding bent over, the discomfort has greatly decreased. I am reminded to stretch out my back regularly, and not bend the wrong way.

lenalima said...

Já passei por cirurgia na coluna, estou sempre na corda bamba.
Exercícios demais doem de menos também, ainda estou me adaptando.

Obrigada! bj

Debbie said...

i am eating a lot of the right foods but i am overweight and can't exercise right now!! i miss my bike and i really miss swimming!!

Sue said...

Some great tips here, I swim Monday to Friday and it definitely helps in lots of ways. I may not enjoy getting up so early but I shall be continuing. Take care xx

CJ Kennedy said...

Who knew about food for spine health?

happyone said...

I'm sure you know for me walking is my favorite thing to do!
My 3 favorite foods would be Milk, Nuts, and cheese, though I do like and eat most of the ones you mentioned.

Jeanie said...

The story of my life. Another hint -- if you are lucky enough to go to Physical therapy for your back, DO YOUR EXERCISES at home. They help!

linda said...

I have had back pain all week, I'm doing back strengthening exercises which help a lot. I walk a lot and eat all the right foods but I think once you have a weakness you have to be so careful.

Ananka said...

I do walking everyday with my wee one in the buggy! I hope that is okay for my back. I remember my dad always saying to respect your back and always wear comfortable shoes!

Conniecrafter said...

I am dealing with backache right now, think it is my sciatica again.
I do like to walk, although this excessive heat has made it harder, and eat at least half the stuff on the list, I think I just need to realize that my body can't do everything it use to :(

Practical Parsimony said...

Surgery is needed for my back to function. I do try the best I can to exercise a bit, not much...lol.

Teresa said...

Ahora mismo me está doliendo. Gracias por todo lo que nos dices. Besos.

DVArtist said...

A very good post.

https://linsartyblobs.blogspot.com said...

I eat most of those foods. I do enjoy walking but I find it gives me back ache, bad posture perhaps.