Total Pageviews

Sunday 28 May 2023

Not everyone likes Kale !

image from here

Tess Patrick writes:
"For years, we’ve been told to eat our kale. I’m not sure about you, but until recently, I thought kale was hugely overrated. Its leathery texture, its green-ness - it was all a turn-off. In fact, the only kale I could stand was crispy kale chips. And it’s just as good as other salad greens, like baby spinach or arugula, right?

It turns out I was wrong. There’s a reason why every healthy foodie craves the leafy greens; they’re packed with so much nutritious goodness it would be a crime not to include them in your salad. If you need a little more convincing to pick up a bunch this week, I’ve uncovered some amazing health benefits of kale, so be sure to give them a try.

1. More Calcium-Dense Than Milk
We all know that we need milk to build strong bones, or so we’ve been told. But what if that’s not necessarily the case? While 100g of traditional milk offers approximately 110mg of calcium, 100g of kale offers more than twice that amount - at 250mg. Sure, 100g of kale is comparatively a lot more in volume than 100g of milk, but this framework will allow you to switch our mainstream sources for healthier alternatives in the long run.

2. Rich In Nutrients, Low In Calories
This is the number one reason why superfoods get the name they do - they’re able to offer concentrated widespread macro and micronutrients, with very little in the way of calories. One cup of kale, for instance, contains 684% of the Vitamin K RDI, 134% of the Vitamin C RDI, and 206% of the Vitamin A RDI< plus iron, folate, omega-3s, magnesium, calcium, iron, fibre, and 2 grams of protein - with only 33 calories!

3. Rich In Phytonutrients - Everyone’s Favourite Antioxidants
By now we all know about antioxidants’ ability to fight free radicals off, which supports the body through all manner of sins. But what foods should we reach for when we need an antioxidant top-up? Kale contains essential phytonutrients, which ease inflammation, improve the liver’s detox ability, and can even protect brain cells from stress. This is thanks to beta-carotene and vitamin C, as well as various flavonoids and polyphenols, such as quercetin and kaempferol.

4. Easy To Grow, Meaning Regenerative Agriculture
For the amount of kale required for healthy nutrients, the growing process is incredibly easy. A full bunch will grow from seed in as little as two months (when planted at the right time) and requires a relatively small area of land for growth. Sustainable agriculture is currently one of the major shifts needed to support a healthy, thriving planet and counteract climate change, which in turn impacts the overall health of the humans on it. In short, kale is a win for the climate - and it’s even better if you can grow it at home!

5. Kale Can Support Healthy Weight Loss
There’s a reason why kale has developed the reputation it has; kale smoothies and massaged salads support healthy weight loss for those struggling with excess weight. This is in part because it is low in calories, but rich in bulk and water content - making you feel fuller for longer. As it also contains protein and fibre, two essential nutrients for weight loss, it is considered to be a superfood in that respect. Some theories also suggest that including more kale in the diet is often adopted alongside other healthy dietary or lifestyle habits, which may influence weight loss further.

So for whatever reason you’re working on your health, be it chronic illness and weight loss, or simply meeting your daily requirement of greens, I hope these health benefits are enough to convince you start massaging your kale (it releases the oils that help with the texture), and hide it through your next salad today."
Above words taken from article here

Benefits of Massaging Kale
It softens and tenderizes kale leaves by breaking down tough fibres.
It reduces the bitterness of raw kale and brings out great natural flavours.
Read more about this, and how to do it here

Not everyone likes Kale, do you? There maybe another leafy green vegetable you prefer, do please share your thoughts in the comments below.

image seen here

You will find a variety of articles and recipe ideas within this blog, and not all may be suitable for you. If you may have any food allergies, or underlying health issues these must always be taken into account. If you are a diabetic and not sure how certain foods may affect your blood sugars, test is best, i.e. use your meter. If you have any concerns about your health, it is always advisable to consult your doctor or health care team.

All the best Jan

33 comments:

Elephant's Child said...

I am a big fan of leafing greens but had never heard of massaging kale before. Thank you.

Tom said...

...I've never tried it.

eileeninmd said...

I like kale but my hubby is not a fan.
Take care, have a great day and happy week ahead.

CJ Kennedy said...

Kale tastes like grass clipping. 😺

Practical Parsimony said...

I love greens of all kinds. I cannot eat cooked spinach. Well, I can eat it, but for some reason, even though I love it, cooked spinach comes right back up.

Catarina said...

It was a colleague of mine who told me a few years ago to massage the kale to make it softer. I started eating kale on a weekly basis from then on. : )

My name is Erika. said...

I've started growing it in my garden and finally, the husband will eat kale. These are really fascinating facts! Enjoy what's left to your weekend.

Christine said...

I learned to chop the kale into small bits and toss them into a salad, no massaging necessary here.

Jeanie said...

The only way I can handle it is small and in a salad... otherwise, no thank you!

Jenn Jilks said...

I like our local kale. It's a bit early for now.
I saw on a cooking show that they recommended severing the thicker stalks and cooking them first, then adding the leaves. It works for me!

William Kendall said...

No, I'm not a fan of the stuff.

Always CraveCute said...

Thanks for all the information on kale. We love it cooked or raw. I find it lasts so much longer in the fridge than some of the other greens.

Elkes Lebensglück said...

With me in northern Germany, a lot of kale is a traditional dish and you know how healthy it is.

Greetings Elke

Pam said...

I was unfortunately turned off of Kale when I went to see a talk the Barefoot Farmer gave....he past out kale leaves for us to enjoy and I did not enjoy. It was washed, and that was it. It was bitter and tasted like crap. I have had dehydrated kale chips and that was pretty good...

Stefania said...

Non ho mai provato questo tipo di verdura ma hai spiegato così bene le sue proprietà che mi è venuto voglia di provarla

Miradas desde mi lente said...

A mí me gusta bastante. Es una buena fuente de vitaminas.
Un abrazo

DMS said...

I need to add more kale to my diet. I like it- but never think to add it to my salads. Great post!
~Jess

Valerie-Jael said...

Sorry, I still don't like it! Valerie

happyone said...

Don't eat kale very often. I will have to change that!!

Creations By Cindy said...

I enjoy Kale in soups for sure! It's a great addition to a salad as well for me. Happy Week to you. Hugs and blessings, Cindy

DUTA said...

I'm fully aware of the health benefits of kale and broccoli, yet I seldom buy them as I believe no thourough wash will ever eliminate the bacteria in their leafy heads.

Lorrie said...

I'm a fan of kale and massaging the raw leaves does help make a good salad.

Anonymous said...

Sure looks good to me!

peppylady (Dora) said...

I like kale.
Coffee is on and stay safe.

J.P. Alexander said...

La col es rica a mi me gusta y tiene muchos beneficios. Te mando un beso.

Conniecrafter said...

I have tried kale a couple ways and just couldn't stomach it, but I do eat my spinach almost every day

Margaret D said...

Not a fan of Kale.

roentare said...

Despite all the good things you wrote about kale, I just cant stand the taste of it lol

Donna said...

A Big Noooo to kale! lolol
hugs
Donna

David M. Gascoigne, said...

Kale has but one function - to torment everyone sane person on Earth! I think the very word should be struck from the dictionary!

Teresa said...

Creo que no la he comido nunca, pero seguro que me gustaría. Besos.

sandy said...

lol poor bird - kale chips.

Cherie said...

I love kale finely shredded in a mixed leaf salad.