Monday, 27 July 2026

Beetroot/Beet ... a vegetable in season July

Beetroot or Beet as it's sometimes called ...
Sweet and earthy in flavour and a beautiful, vibrant purple in colour, beetroot is extremely versatile. Wash your hands as soon as you've finished preparing beetroot, as the purple juice can stain your fingers. Add beetroot to a range of dishes ... here are four suggestions you may like to try!

Cajun chicken with oodles of spice, tahini dressed beetroot,
oven crisp carrot fries and hardly any carbs
see details here


Poached eggs with avocado, beetroot and spinach
see details here


Beetroot and orange soup with mustard seeds
see details here


Baked beets with carrots and leeks
see details here


Beetroot
full of essential vitamins and minerals,
read about its health benefits here


Dear reader, you will find a variety of articles, studies etc. plus recent news/views and recipe ideas within this blog, something for everyone to read and enjoy ... but please note, not all may be suitable for you. If you may have any food allergies, or underlying health issues these must always be taken into account. If you are a diabetic and not sure how certain foods may affect your blood sugars, test is best, i.e. use your meter. If you have any concerns about your health it is always advisable to consult your Doctor or health care team.

All the best Jan

28 comments:

  1. I need to try some new dishes. I don't have much appetite and nothing sounds good. Did you go through this too Jan? Hugs, Diane

    ReplyDelete
  2. The poached eggs with avocado, beetroot and spinach sounds really good.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yummy and nutritious-Christine cmlk79.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love beets. I have some growing in the garden right now and some that I canned from last year. I really like all of your recipes. Have a good evening.

    ReplyDelete
  5. lot's of great recipes. i have never been a big fan, but the egg recipe sounds good!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm growing beets in my garden. I hope I get some good ones this year. These recipes sound great, and the last braised dish looks amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I find that yellow beets are just as good and far less messy than the red ones.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I do like beets, and we haven't had them in awhile I will have to get some next time I go to the store :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Dear Jan, the colours in these photos make everything look oh, so good!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love beetroot. Those meals look good, Jan.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I've never used beetroot other than in pickles. Maybe I should!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I only know them as side dish for or in Labskaus... They are too sweet for my liking.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hello Jan,
    It all looks delicious and healthy.
    Take care, have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  14. REPLY TO
    ~Lavender Dreamer~ who said,
    I need to try some new dishes. I don't have much appetite and nothing sounds good. Did you go through this too Jan? Hugs, Diane

    Hello Diane and thank you for your comment.
    Bereavement and loss is never easy.
    Since losing Eddie in August 2024 I have experienced a turmoil of emotions, which is understandable!
    I've found family and friends enormously supportive, and that includes blogland friends too :)

    Five things I found helpful and important to do:-
    1. Make time to talk to other people. ...
    2. Make time to remember and share happy memories of your loved one. ...
    3. Give yourself time to grieve. ...
    4. Make sure you eat regularly. ...
    5. Make sure to get enough physical rest, even if you can't sleep.

    Of course there will be days when you struggle, I found taking each day one step at a time worked well for me... and do not be surprised to have good and bad days.

    If at any time you feel you may need extra help never be afraid to ask.

    You specifically mentioned food. I recall my family (and friends) checking to see if I was eating well, and many would invite me for a meal.
    The other thing that took me a while to get used to was making smaller dishes i.e. for one and not two!

    They say time heals ... what I have experienced is that although it may take away some of the pain, sorrow, or other negative emotions associated with a loss/bereavement, time on its own is not a healer. Healing is an active process that requires effort, self-awareness, and the support of loved ones/friends.
    Those five points I mentioned above are important as you rebuild and re-engage.

    Since reading about your sad loss and following you on your blog, you are making good progress and you will get there.

    I will popover and also put this comment on your most recent post, which you do not need to publish if you'd rather not.

    For the meantime, I do send {{hugs}} and good wishes.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  15. Beetroot is such a beautiful and underrated vegetable. I love how versatile it is, from soups and salads to roasted dishes and even breakfast ideas. The colour it brings to a plate makes food look so inviting, and the earthy sweetness pairs well with so many flavours.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Jan what nice advice and taking time for her.
    I think beets lower blood pressure too.
    Looks good.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Jan, beetroot has a high natural sugar content, up to 10%, but it’s released slowly in the body, preventing sharp spikes in glucose.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Beetroot are great in salads with boiled potatoes and boiled eggs. Also to make chocolate cake.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  19. You know, Jan, my gastroenterologist, recommended I take a beet root supplement. And it does seem to help.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Growing up, the most common way to buy beets in the grocery store was sliced in a can. I've never seen that here.

    ReplyDelete
  21. They are all delicious recipes! hugs Elke

    ReplyDelete
  22. Beetroot is such a wonderfully versatile ingredient

    ReplyDelete
  23. I like the idea of roasted beetroot. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  24. La remolacha me encanta en la ensalada. Hace unos años las sembré en mi huerto y se dieron muy bien, tal vez las siembre el año que viene. Besos.

    ReplyDelete

The lowcarb team value your comments. Thank you for taking the time to contribute to our blog. Please note! negative comments and insults from anonymous idiots, with nothing to add to the debate will not be authorised. However, we welcome constructive criticism.

The best of health to you and yours.

Eddie