Saturday, 3 October 2026

Easy Baked Apples . . . are a delicious taste of Autumn


Growing up my dear Mum would often serve up a simple baked apple for dessert, they did taste good. This recipe I share is wonderful for the Autumnal months. Baked apples make for a cosy, autumnal pudding to please the whole family. You can easily make them ahead of time and warm through before serving.

Ingredients
Serves Four
50g/1¾oz butter
1 orange, zest and juice
50g/1¾oz light brown soft sugar
¼ tsp ground ginger
¼ tsp ground allspice
100g/3½oz mixed dried fruit (currants, sultanas, candied peel)
4 large sharp eating apples, such as Evita, Jonagold, Granny Smith, Braeburn
crème fraîche, to serve

Instructions
1. Preheat the oven to 220C/200C Fan/Gas 7. Melt the butter in a small pan over a medium–low heat. Take the pan off the heat and add the orange zest and juice along with the sugar and spices. Stir well to combine, then add the dried fruit. Set aside.
2. Core the apples, pushing the corer about three-quarters of the way through the apple, to make a container for the filling.
3. Put the apples cored side up into a deep-sided roasting tray, into which they fit snugly. Fill the empty cores with the spiced fruit mixture. Don’t worry if the filling spills over a little: when the apple releases its juices as it bakes it’ll create a delicious, spiced apple caramel in the bottom of the tray.
4. Bake the apples on the bottom shelf of the oven for 20 minutes, or until the apples are soft.
5. Serve the apples with generous spoonfuls of the roasting juices and a spoonful of crème fraîche.

Recipe Tip
The cooked apples will keep, well covered, in the fridge for up to 3 days. To serve, take them out of the fridge to come up to room temperature, or pop them back in a warm oven for 20 minutes.

Original recipe here

Please note: The above recipe may not be suitable for all readers. For those who prefer a lower carb recipe, have a look at this alternative Baked Apple recipe here



Dear reader, you will find a variety of recipe ideas within this blog. It is important to note, not all may be suitable for you. Always take account of your personal circumstances, needs, illnesses and medication you may be taking. If you may have any food allergies, or underlying health issues these must always be taken into account. If you are a diabetic and not sure how certain foods may affect your blood sugars, test is best, i.e. use your meter. If you have any concerns about your health it is always advisable to consult your Doctor or health care team.

All the best Jan

32 comments:

  1. I have made these and they are very good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks perfect for fall!-Christine cmlk79.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love baked apples, Jan! These look magnificent! Thank you so much for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh looks and sounds so yummy and great for the season ~ Hugs ^_^

    ps ~ thanks for commenting on my blog ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great idea! That's exactly what I will right now! Bake some apples. : )

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my, this brings back memories. My mom used to make these too. Now I need to try this recipe. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I haven't baked an apple for years. I'm not sure why not. They're easy and tasty.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Bom dia minha querida amiga Jan. O Parque Estadual dos Três Picos é maravilhoso. Confesso que nunca comi maçã assada. Uma excelente manhã de domingo, bom início de semana, para você e todos os seus familiares no Reino Unido e um grande abraço do seu amigo carioca.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Gracias por la receta. Te mando un beso.

    ReplyDelete
  10. The just scream autumn. They look so tasty!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Baked apples remind me of childhood suppers. They are so delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  12. An easy and delicious autumn dessert!

    ReplyDelete
  13. A neighbour here often makes baked apples and offers me one now and again, but I have seen her kitchen and don't like to eat from there.

    ReplyDelete
  14. It's a while since I've baked apples like that but they are delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I remember my grandmother baking these when I was a child. Thanks for the memories and the recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  16. These sound delicious. And I bet they smell amazing while they are being baked. X

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh, how delicious—I haven't made that in ages! Thanks, Jan, and have a lovely Sunday!
    Hugs, Elke.

    ReplyDelete
  18. So delicious!

    All the best to you,
    Hilly

    ReplyDelete
  19. GOOGLE TRANSLATE

    Luiz Gomes
    Bom dia minha querida amiga Jan. O Parque Estadual dos Três Picos é maravilhoso. Confesso que nunca comi maçã assada. Uma excelente manhã de domingo, bom início de semana, para você e todos os seus familiares no Reino Unido e um grande abraço do seu amigo carioca.

    Good morning my dear friend Jan. The Três Picos State Park is wonderful. I confess I've never eaten baked apple. Have a wonderful Sunday morning, a good start to the week, to you and all your family in the United Kingdom, and a big hug from your friend from Rio.

    J.P. Alexander
    Gracias por la receta. Te mando un beso.

    Thanks for the recipe. Sending you a kiss.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I've made them before, and I really like them.
    Best regards.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Probably the last thing I need to eat these days but they look so delicious I am saving the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  22. This has 60 grams net carb per serving.

    ReplyDelete
  23. That's definitely an autumnal recipe! Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  24. REPLY TO
    Lori Miller who said...
    This has 60 grams net carb per serving.

    Hello Lori
    Many thanks for stopping by ... and yes as I stated in the post
    Please note: The above recipe may not be suitable for all readers. For those who prefer a lower carb recipe, have a look at this alternative Baked Apple recipe here:-
    https://thelowcarbdiabetic.blogspot.com/2018/04/baked-apples-low-carb.html

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  25. When I was young, baked apples were a staple in our home. Sometimes with a little ice cream and sometimes some seasonal touches such as cranberries. thanks for the recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Good morning and have a great week!
    The list you prepared for us is very useful
    —thank you very much.
    I’ll try to visit some of them!

    ReplyDelete
  27. These look so good. I'm picking up apples next week and will give this a try.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Yum!! I have never had a baked apple. I am going to try and make these. Thank you for sharing.
    Carla

    ReplyDelete

The lowcarb team value your comments. Thank you for taking the time to contribute to our blog. Please note! negative comments and insults from anonymous idiots, with nothing to add to the debate will not be authorised. However, we welcome constructive criticism.

The best of health to you and yours.

Eddie