Total Pageviews

Friday 10 January 2014

Celery - Eaten Cold or Hot, it’s a winner!

Is celery one of those vegetables that you love or hate? Well I really enjoy it, and it’s so versatile. Great for a snack, with the added bonus, that it’s only 0.9 carbs per 100g, figures taken from the Collins gem calorie counter book, so great low carb food.

Here are two recipe ideas, neither my own, but you can see the original post in the links below



                                    Celery and cream cheese

I think Suzanne's picture says it all. Just use some fresh cut celery stems and spread on your favourite cream cheese. Caution, if you do count your daily carbs (I usually eat no more than 50 grams each day) then study the label on each pack of cheese. For instance plain cream cheese has a trace of carbs per 100g, but if you use something like ‘Boursin with fine herbs’ it’s 2.0 per 100 g. But what a great low carb snack.

 

 

                         Celery Quick Braised with Onion and Carrot

This is a delicious Delia recipe and goes great with a main meal such as pork, or beef - whatever you prefer. I know some use it as a supper type dish, they just adjust the quantities accordingly.

This recipe has slightly more carbs per 100gram content, but nothing too bad. However, if you are a diabetic, check out your blood sugar readings on your meter.

Link to Suzanne’s blog here.

Link to Delia’s recipe here.


Hope you enjoy these ideas.

All the best Jan

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Braised celery is a favourite, I prefer it this way to eating it cold.
Val

Anonymous said...

After a while of raw celery eating, I got into cucumber as a reasonable substitute e.g. for accompanying a hunk of cheese.
I eat about a third of a medium cucumber which is approximately 3 carbs (half that without the peel.)

I save celery for when I feel like a workout for my jaws : )

Geoff J

Lowcarb team member said...

Hi Geoff - Yes, celery is a little more work for the jaw and teeth , but I just love the crunch!

My grandchildren love eating cucumber. Their mother gives it to them as a snack instead of sweets. The 'little one' is often seen in their local supermarket chewing on a slice of cucumber - the other shoppers can't help smiling and commenting.


.......

Hi Val - Yes, braised celery tastes great and this Delia recipe is a good one


Thanks for reading and thanks for your comments .... appreciated

All the best Jan