Total Pageviews

Monday 12 September 2022

Kohlrabi, a lower carb vegetable


Kohlrabi is a wonderful low-carb vegetable chock-full of vitamins and may be used instead of potatoes, but also raw in salads. Looking something like a Sputnik in vegetable form, with a squat bulb and antennae-like shoots, kohlrabi is part of the cabbage family. The name translates as 'turnip cabbage' and the mild, sweet flavour is somewhere between a turnip and a water-chestnut, with a crisp, crunchy texture. It can be found in two colours, pale green and the less common purple.

Availability
All year round, but best from mid-July to mid-November.
Choose the best
Larger bulbs can be tough, so select a medium-sized one that feels heavy for its dimensions. The leaves should be crisp-looking and intensely green. Avoid any bulbs that have soft spots or yellowing leaves.
Prepare it
Snip off the leaf stems, trim off the base and top, then use a potato peeler or sharp knife to peel it as if it's an apple. Then thinly slice, chunk or cut into wedges. If you're using slices in a salad, blanch them first.
Store it
Trim off the stems and keep in a perforated bag in the fridge - it will last up to two weeks.
Cook it
To roast, steam the bulb for 5 minutes, then roast for 45 minutes. Steam (up to 12 minutes). Stir fry (up to 6 minutes). The leaves can be cooked like cabbage.
Alternatives
Try turnip.
Details and more about Kohlrabi from here

Töltött Karalábé: Hungarian Stuffed Kohlrabi



If you like stuffed cabbage rolls, try Hungarian stuffed kohlrabi instead. Hollowed out and filled with pork, beef, veal, lamb, or a mixture as well as garlic and onion, they make a hearty meal. For a vegetarian version, replace the meat with mushrooms and barley, millet, or another sturdy grain.
You can see the recipe and more details here

My thanks to fellow blogger Iris who gave me the idea for this blog post after I read her post here

Dear reader, you will find a variety of articles and recipe suggestions within this blog, and not all may be suitable for you. If you may have any food allergies, or underlying health issues these must always be taken into account. If you are a diabetic and not sure how certain foods may affect your blood sugars, test is best, i.e. use your meter. If you have any concerns about your health it is always advisable to consult your Doctor or health care team.

All the best Jan

25 comments:

Margaret D said...

Looks interesting.

dellgirl said...

This is very interesting, and it is also good to know. I had never heard of Kohlrabi, a lower carb vegetable until I read about it here. Thank you for sharing this.

Wishing you well, my friend. Have a wonderful Sunday night!

Conniecrafter said...

very interesting, that is another one that I am not sure I have seen, will have to check it out

Tom said...

...I've heard of it, but have never eaten it.

J.P. Alexander said...

nunca he probado esa verdura y me gustaría hacerlo. Gracias por la receta. Te mando un beso.

Carla from The River said...

My sister loves kohlrabi, I will share this with her. :-)

Christine said...

It sounds so healthy

Elephant's Child said...

Another vegie I don't use often enough. Thanks for the reminder.

Valerie-Jael said...

I love Kohlrabi! Have a great week, Valerie

eileeninmd said...

Hello,
Looks very healthy! Thanks for sharing.
Take care, enjoy your day! Have a happy new week!

Martha said...

I've never heard of kohlrabi. Sounds very interesting!

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

I've never had kohlrabi and have never seen it in the store where I shop. Maybe one of the specialty grocery stores/market in my town has it.

R's Rue said...

Yum

Jo said...

They're such funny looking things aren't they. It's something I've never tried though I did try growing them a couple of times without success, perhaps I should give them another go.

Pam said...

Not a veggie I have ever had. Looks interesting.

happyone said...

I've not heard of this before!!

CJ Kennedy said...

I don't think I've ever had this or seen it at the grocery store

Creations By Cindy said...

Well I have never heard of this veggie but that looks so good! Happy week to you. Hugs and blessings, Cindy

Sue said...

I remember having this vegetable once and I don't think I was that impressed - still you can't like everything! Take care and have a very happy week, Sue xx

Iris Flavia said...

I´ll fry mine tomorrow with veggie balls for brekkie.

DeniseinVA said...

I have never had this before Jan and will have to give it a try. Thank you and all the best!

Jenn Jilks said...

I have never cooked one! Interesting!

Ananka said...

I haven't heard of this one before! Looks interesting :-D

https://linsartyblobs.blogspot.com said...

I've not tried this but I think I've seen it.

William Kendall said...

That's new to me.