Total Pageviews

Wednesday 7 September 2022

Pork Chops with broccoli mash ... low carb

Broccoli mash is the answer for mashed potato lovers looking for a low carb alternative. It makes a tasty green side dish, and it's packed with vitamins and nutrients too! Served with succulent pork chops cooked in a skillet, I hope you may give this recipe a try.


Ingredients
Serves Two
Pork chops
2 pork chops, approx. 9 oz (260 g) each
1 tbsp butter or olive oil
2 tsp dried thyme (or barbecue seasoning or Italian seasoning) - optional
salt and ground black pepper
Broccoli mash
1 lb (5 cups) broccoli
2 tbsp butter or olive oil
salt and ground black pepper to taste
1 garlic clove, minced (optional)

Tips
i) You can use fresh or frozen broccoli for this recipe. If using fresh broccoli, save the stalk, peel, and slice it. Chop the rest of the broccoli into smaller florets, roughly equal in size.

ii) If using frozen broccoli, place frozen florets in boiling water for 2-4 minutes until fork tender. Drain well before proceeding.

iii) Feel free to substitute olive oil for some of the butter in any proportion you choose.

Recipe Instructions
can be seen here

Alternative recipe you may like to try
Cauliflower Broccoli 'Macaroni' and Cheese - Low Carb - see it here

Broccoli ... is brimming with good nutrients
read more here

"What Is The Definition of a Skillet?
At its simplest, a skillet is a pan with a flat bottom and angled sides that can either be used with or without a lid. Often skillets are used for braising, searing or grilling meat as well as frying, the latter of which often leads to confusion between a frying pan and a skillet.

Frying Pans VS Skillets
Whilst both can be used for frying, the way they are used often differs. For example, a frying pan will often be used for shallow frying food that only needs to be flipped occasionally. As such the sides of a frying pan are typically not very tall.

Skillets on the other hand have a taller and slanted side which allows for the ingredients in the pan to be shaken or stirred without spilling. Additionally, the slanted sides make it easier to add and remove ingredients from a more complex dish. Both features are incredibly useful whilst braising and stir-frying.

This distinction is even more noticeable with a French skillet as they will likely be more spacious and have much higher sides than your average frying pan. Additionally, the majority of skillets you’ll encounter will be cast iron skillets, whilst most frying pans are made of aluminium or stainless steel. Despite this though, it is possible to get a cast-iron frying pan, they are just less commonly seen."
Words above and more about Skillets can be seen here

For those readers in the Northern Hemisphere 
Autumn/Fall is getting nearer
~ wishing all readers an enjoyable day ~

You will find a variety of articles and recipe ideas within this blog, and not all may be suitable for you. If you may have any food allergies, or underlying health issues these must always be taken into account. If you are a diabetic and not sure how certain foods may affect your blood sugars, test is best, i.e. use your meter. If you have any concerns about your health it is always advisable to consult your Doctor or health care team.

All the best Jan

26 comments:

eileeninmd said...

Looks like a yummy meal! Have a great day!

Angie's Recipes said...

The pork chop looks so juicy and flavourful!

Jenn Jilks said...

That looks like a fun one to do!

Catarina said...

It looks pretty good!

William Kendall said...

I've always liked both.

Jo said...

Yum. I must admit that I love my mashed potatoes, though I do love broccoli too.

Elephant's Child said...

Brocomash has never occurred to me. I will have to give it a try.

DeniseinVA said...

I have never had broccoli mash before, this looks delicious! Thanks Jan!

Snowbird said...

Brocolli mash, how wonderful. I've just bought a cast iron pan with a lid.xxx

Valerie-Jael said...

Sounds wonderful! Valerie

Ananka said...

Oh the broccoli mash sounds amazing. :-D

happyone said...

Don't think I'd care for mashed broccoli. I've tried the cauliflower mash and didn't care for that either. Guess I just like mashed potatoes too much!!! :)

Lorrie said...

I tried mashed broccoli awhile ago and was surprised at how good it tasted, with a little olive oil and lemon.

Gloria Baker said...

Looks really good

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

I love broccoli, but will pass on the pork chops. Great idea, though.

BTW, what do you and Eddie think of your new PM?

J.P. Alexander said...

Gracias por las recetas. Te mando un beso.

Margaret D said...

Very yummy Jan.

Iris Flavia said...

Hmmm, I´ll definitively try the Broccoli mash! Good idea, thank you!

Sami said...

I was wondering what to serve with the low carb chicken stir fry I made for dinner, and I have broccoli in the fridge, so might just do this.
Thanks Jan, enjoy the rest of the week

Teresa said...

Me encanta el brócoli. Besos.

Barwitzki said...

Wonderful :-) I'll try the broccoli puree right away...
many greetings to you.
I wish you a happy Thursday. Viola

Inger said...

Mashed broccoli may be the answer to -- how can I possibly make myself enjoy broccoli?
I've discovered a butter in the grocery store here that claims to taste just like European butter. I don't know if it does, but it's far superior to regular good old American butter.So lots of that, maybe a whiff of Creole seasoning and maybe even I will enjoy a dish of broccoli.

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

My sincere condolences on the passing of your beloved Queen.

Lowcarb team member said...

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...
My sincere condolences on the passing of your beloved Queen


Thank you.
Queen Elizabeth II will be greatly missed; she was a most special person.
I have copied your comment here and put it on my newer post.

Jan

baili said...

Thanks for making me familiar with skillet a pan with taller sides
Mashed broccoli looks yummy wow

Conniecrafter said...

Pork chops sound good, I have pork ribs in the fridge thawing right now :)