Total Pageviews

Saturday 10 June 2023

Broccoli Love it or Hate it ?


Do You Absolutely Hate Broccoli?
If your answer is yes, "it may well be because of your genes according to an article at SBS.com. Particular genes determine whether you can detect a bitter chemical (called PTC) in broccoli and other brassicas like cauliflower and brussels sprouts.

“On average, about 70% of us can taste something bitter in broccoli or PTC, but those with two copies of the bitter sensitivity gene are closer to 20%, and they are much more likely to hate it.”

U.S. President George H.W. Bush said in March 1990, “I do not like broccoli. And I haven’t liked it since I was a little kid and my mother made me eat it. And I’m President of the United States and I’m not going to eat any more broccoli!” He banned it on Air Force One."
More to read here

h/t Steve Parker, M.D. here
Steve says "Most of us at the Parker Compound like broccoli. My wife usually sautés it in olive oil and seasons with garlic, other herbs, and salt."

Do You Absolutely Love Broccoli?
If your answer is yes, then you may like to try this recipe (it's a popular one I've featured before) Broccoli and Chickpea Frittata - see details here


This blog offers a wide variety of articles and recipe ideas, and not all may be suitable for you. If you may have any food allergies, or underlying health issues these must always be taken into account. If you are a diabetic and not sure how certain foods may affect your blood sugars, test is best, i.e. use your meter. If you have any concerns about your health, it is always advisable to consult your doctor or health care team.

All the best Jan

33 comments:

Tom said...

...I like it.

roentare said...

I like it being stir fried in Thai Gra Pow. The sauce would cover its original taste lol

Salty Pumpkin Studio said...

I loved broccli until I developed an allergy to it, severe nausea. Sigh.

happyone said...

I like broccoli!!

bobbie said...

Hate, hate, HATE it! Just the smell makes me want to puke!!

Elephant's Child said...

My genes let me enjoy Broccoli. They do NOT allow me to eat coriander leaves. Even a little taints a dish for me.
Minus the coriander that frittata sounds good. Thank you.

J.P. Alexander said...

Ni me gusta ni me disgusta lo como por que es saño. Te mando un beso.

Unknown said...

Broccoli soup is my favorite and I could eat it all day long. Raw broccoli, not so much.

Practical Parsimony said...

I love it. One day, when I was an adult, I came in and daddy was cooking something strange. He cooked broccoli and cauliflower and mashed them like mashed potatoes. It was delicious. But, I like broccoli in any shape or form.

Margaret D said...

Love it, just love it.

Donna said...

Only with cheese...lol
hugs
Donna

eileeninmd said...

Hello,
I like broccoli but it doesn't like me.
Take care, enjoy your day and have a happy new week!

David M. Gascoigne, said...

Overall I like broccoli but sometimes it can be a little bitter, especially raw in a salad.

My name is Erika. said...

I like it, but can't say I love it. It would taste great in that quiche though. Yum! Hope it's been a nice weekend.

Rajani Rehana said...

Good for health

William Kendall said...

I do like broccoli.

CJ Kennedy said...

Himself hates broccoli and cauliflower. I like both.

J C said...

ah...broccoli. Cauliflower. Brussels Sprouts. My LEAST fav of all veg. Broccoli I can eat...only occasionally. Cauliflower is tasteless. And B.Sprouts...yuk. Well, sauted w/garlic edible. Just barely. What an interesting and informative post! Thanks!!

~Lavender Dreamer~ said...

I have a love/hate relationship with it! haha! I don't like it plain but I love it with cheddar cheese and I make the best soup...with LOTS of cheddar cheese in it!

Debbie said...

i love broccoli raw, with vegetable dip. i don't like the smell of broccoli cooking.

Bill said...

Love broccoli sandwiches with melted pepper cheese.

Snowbird said...

How interesting! I absolutely love broccoli!xxx

Christine said...

It depends on the recipe whether I love it or like it.

Mary Kirkland said...

I love broccoli but I like most vegetables.

Teresa said...

A mí me gusta el brócoli, sobre todo con pimentón y ajo. Besos.

Lori Miller said...

I like cooked broccoli florets and my dog liked the stalks, sliced and raw.

kitty@ Kitty's Kozy Kitchen said...

I love broccoli, cauliflower and Brussels sprouts, Jan. For me, Brussels sprouts are the most bitter of the three. Thanks for the info!

Jeanie said...

It's not my favorite but I am trying to love it more because I think it's so good for us!

Iris Flavia said...

I half go with kitty - but Brussels Sprouts is not bitter to my tastebuds...

Conniecrafter said...

I am not big on it, I don't eat it but my hubby loves it so I make it for him

Crafty Green Poet said...

I love broccoli! Especially with mushrooms.

This N That said...

I will eat it if it is put in front of me..Not crazy about it..

Lorrie said...

Broccoli is a regular dish around here. So versatile! Soup, salad, side dish - the frittata looks delicious.