Total Pageviews

Friday 2 June 2023

I think I will just enjoy eating mine !

I think I will just enjoy eating mine ! ... Cheese that is !

Just recently (29 May) "hundreds of people took part in the annual cheese rolling extreme sporting event. Competitors chased a 7lb (3kg) Double Gloucester cheese wheel down the almost-vertical Coopers Hill in Brockworth, near Gloucester.

A view down Cooper's Hill, from the start point of the race to the finish (where the dog-walkers are). 

The world-famous event went ahead despite safety fears.

Matt Crolla, 28, from Manchester, won the first race. The women's race was won by Delaney Irving who was knocked unconscious as she chased the cheese.

"I'm glad I'm pretty conscious and I've not got many serious injuries," said Mr Crolla. Asked how he prepared for the race he said: "I don't think you can train for it, can you? It's just being an idiot."

Women's champion Ms Irving, 19, from Vancouver Island in Canada, said the race was "good... now that I remember it". "I remember running, then bumping my head, and then I woke up in the tent," she said. "I still don't really believe it, but it feels great."

See pictures and read more here

Double Gloucester is a traditional, full fat, hard cheese made from pasteurised or unpasteurised cow's milk. The cheese, made from the milk of once nearly extinct Old Gloucester cows, traces its origins to 1498 in the City of Gloucester.

Gloucester comes in both single and double varieties. While Single Gloucester is made from skimmed milk, Double Gloucester uses full fat milk. In addition, Double Gloucester is twice the height of Single Gloucester and more flavourful. It is also said that Double Gloucester uses the whole milk taken from two milking or a mixture of milk and cream.

The double variety has a smooth and buttery texture, rich and nutty yet mellow flavour and apricot colour thanks to the addition of annatto plant extract. Vegetarian rennet is used and the cheese is aged for at least 4 months. If the cheese is allowed to age further, it will develop more complex and nutty flavours. Moreover, the texture tends to become very hard and flaky.

Double Gloucester participates every year in the Cooper's Hill Cheese-Rolling and Wake where buyers jump on the cheese to evaluate its quality and sustainability. A traditional British Ale or red like Syrah will perfectly complement a Double Gloucester.
These words and more can be seen here

If you would like to use Double Gloucester cheese in a great tasting recipe, then this one may suit you ... it's a 'cheese and asparagus soufflé' ... you can find it here

This blog is presented in a magazine style - we hope something for everyone. You will find a variety of articles, studies, thoughts, photographs, music and recipes! However, not all the recipes ideas featured in this blog may be suitable for you. If you may have any food allergies, or underlying health issues these must always be taken into account. If you are a diabetic and not sure how certain foods may affect your blood sugars, test is best, i.e. use your meter.

All the best Jan

31 comments:

Donna said...

Cheese rolling? lol...how fun!
hugs
Donna

eileeninmd said...

The cheese with a red wine sounds nice!
Take care, enjoy your day and happy weekend.

Tom said...

...this is a new one for me.

Lori Miller said...

There are cheese snacks here called Whisps or Part Crisps: shredded cheese baked into pieces the size of coins. Now they're going to remind me of people rolling cheese down a steep hill in a sort of oddly specific Redneck Rave type of event.

CJ Kennedy said...

It's a wonder anyone survived the race. I'm not a fan of cheese so I know I wouldn't go chasing after it. 🌕 Now, chasing a wheel of chocolate would be another story 😺

William Kendall said...

Madness, of course, but hilarious to watch.

baili said...

well this is something totally unfamiliar dear Jan
thank you for sharing

more blessings to you and loved ones

Christine said...

Sounds fun!

Lorrie said...

This race has been all over our news lately, given that the woman who won is from here. That's quite a wild hill to go down! I'm with you, I'll just eat the cheese!

Valerie-Jael said...

Cheese is there to eat! Valerie

Jules said...

Much like yourself, I think I will just enjoy eating mine instead. X

Salty Pumpkin Studio said...

A goal to add to the bucket list. Looks like tons of fun

Debbie said...

ooooh i love cheese but this is new to me!!

Bill said...

I'll stick to eating the cheese. :)

Elephant's Child said...

That story made it over here. Like you, I would rather eat cheese than chase it.

Chakra Series said...

I love nature :)

roentare said...

I just love cheeses!

Teresa said...

Disfruta. Feliz fin de semana.

happyone said...

Rolling cheese down the hill is a new one for me. :)
I think I'd rather just eat it. :)

Catarina said...

I had never heard of a cheese rolling race. Just saw one on youtube. That's crazy!!! But fun if you do not participate in the race. : ))

Granny Marigold said...

Chasing a round of cheese down a steep hill sounds a little crazy. Nice that a B.C. woman won for the ladies. ( Can you tell I'm a BC'r?) Too bad about her concussion.

Pam said...

Yep, like you, I rather eat mine, seems like a waste to roll it down the hill! lol...

Margaret D said...

Well I never :)

Conniecrafter said...

It is amazing to me the things people will think up to try :)
I say just eat it too!

This N That said...

That's a new one on me..What will they think of next??

sandy said...

wow, that's an amazing race to get to the cheese, ...i would have passed.

Kim said...

I love cheese!!

Lee said...

I love cheese, and rarely does a day pass without me having some. :)

Phil Slade said...

I think I will stick to just eating cheese. Chasing cheeses down a hill sounds far too energetic for me, but thanks for the suggestion. And anyway, cheese doesn't come in rolling format anymore, just in square blocks covered in plastic that you cant cut.

Jeanie said...

I saw this on the news here! They said there were a lot of injuries -- I'm not surprised. There are easier ways to get the cheese!

Anne (cornucopia) said...

I'm with you - I'll stick with eating cheese. :-)