Total Pageviews

Thursday, 13 August 2026

Did You Know ... about this secret vault ?

 

Did you know there’s a secret vault that holds nearly every type of crop seed?

It’s the Svalbard Global Seed Vault, located in one of the coldest corners of the world: an island on the Svalbard archipelago, between Norway and the North Pole. This remote location allows the natural permafrost cooling necessary for proper storage of the world’s largest collection of crop diversity. If the zombie apocalypse were to become a reality, or just if farmers’ fields start to dry out, this seed vault would come to the rescue. The facility has a storage capacity of 4.5 million seed samples. Norwegian law has prohibited the storing of genetically modified seeds at the vault.
More to read here

All the best Jan

17 comments:

Linda's Relaxing Lair said...

What a wealth of fascinating and important information, Jan! Thank you so much for sharing.

Mari said...

Well, that is very interesting! And a good idea to have seeds stored. I'm glad they don't store the genetically altered seeds.

Granny Marigold said...

I had heard of that place in fact I believe we watched a documentary on TV.
Thanks for reminding me.

HappyK said...

Yes, I did know that. Pretty amazing.

Tom said...

...yes, I had heard about this.

J.P. Alexander said...

muy interesante. Te mando un beso.

Susan Kane said...

That is amazing.

Dianna said...

I did not know this information, so thank you, Jan, for sharing it with us. xx

Angie's Recipes said...

Learned about it years ago on TV..

River said...

I did know and hope this will be what saves the world when everything else fails.

Elkes Lebensglück said...

Yes, I saw a documentary about it and I think it's very important! hugs Elke

jabblog said...

I knew of this, but mistakenly thought it was at Kew.

roentare said...

The Svalbard Seed Vault quietly preserving the genetic heritage of our crops beneath the Arctic permafrost, like a time capsule safeguarding the future of humanity.

Margaret D said...

That is interesting and I had no idea about seeds being kept, but it all makes sense.

Victor S E Moubarak said...

What? They even have broccoli?

God bless.

Iris Flavia said...

Sad and very, very clever at the same time! I never knew, thank you.

Giorgio said...

Great to hear that genetically modified seeds can't be stored at the Svalbard Seed Vault.