Total Pageviews

Thursday 16 January 2014

How I accidentally cured my painful Acute Gout with baking soda in water.

A guest post from our friend Geoff

Later this morning, following Eddie's post yesterday featuring an NHS Support Federation story about private contracts, I revisited their website for more useful information about health-related matters. One story took me to a Guardian article. Beside that article was a list of other recent stories, the first of which was this


The question of gout is of interest to me because I USED TO BE a sufferer. And I remember the articles I found at the time warning me off red meat and beer. What else was there to live for ?

I had learned that anyone can find a tremendous amount of useful information on the internet, following my desire to understand all I could about having low thyroid symptoms, whilst having normal thyroid blood results. I could apply this research to my latest condition.

It didn't take too long to find out that all sorts of people have all sorts of remedies for this condition, but one website stuck out for me in my search for relief :


where the author states "The purpose of this webpage is to share with fellow sufferers my experiences in how I accidentally cured my painful Acute Gout with baking soda in water. It sounds impossible, but it is true. If this information is useful, please pass it on."

Baking soda in water was the route I followed, and the route which WORKED for me. This condition came on before my diabetes diagnosis, and at the time I had been drinking a lot of (no, not beer) fruit juice, under the impression it might help with the increasing tiredness I felt. Initially I didn't connect the fruit juice with increased acidity in my joints, so I sometimes used the baking soda to deal with an attack I was still fuelling. When i connected the dots, I dropped the fruit juice, and now rarely take any baking soda.

Gout is typically, but not exclusively, suffered in the big toe. This is where mine was. But I also experienced an onset, from time to time, in my elbows and wrists. All of these symptoms have now gone.

Others swear by apple cider vinegar. For some reason I can't stand the smell of vinegar so I wasn't attracted to this method. I would say that at the first sign of symptoms of arthritis, I will start a regime of baking soda in water. This is what works for me.

If you or a friend is affected by gout, then point yourself/them in the direction of the link above. A great deal of suffering (believe me !) may be avoided.

Good health to all

Geoff J - still enjoying his red meat and occasional beer : )

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

My father suffered gout and I can remember him being in a lot of pain. Too much port his friends used to joke with him. Apparently many thought too much drinking port caused gout. I don't know if there was any truth in this but my father never drank port. The occasional half a lemonade shandy was often his drink. He took tablets daily to reduce acid levels. Pity we didn't have access to sharing other peoples experiences as we have now.Things could have been different for him.

Kay

Lowcarb team member said...

Geoff J - still enjoying his red meat and occasional beer

Well you've done it now Geoff you mentioned booze in your post. You will now be forever classed as an alcoholic and accused of using booze to control your BG.

Those holier than thou teetotal self flagellating bigoted anti's will have you in their sights.

Cheers
Graham

WWSuzi said...

I have been told for at least 15 years that I have gout. Every time I have a physical and they do blood work. However I've never had any symptoms and the only thing I can think of is that I drink a lot of water with a tbsp or 2 of apple cider vinegar. Whether it works or not I feel great :)

Lowcarb team member said...

Hi Suzanne - thanks for stopping by.

As you say " Whether it works or not I feel great :)" and that is what counts.

...........

Hi Kay - many thanks for your comments, as long as the tablets took away the pain for your father, that is the main thing. It is true, with the internet we can share others experiences so much easier now and do our own research of course.

............

Hi Geoff - thanks for another great post

............

Thanks to all readers - have a good weekend,

All the best Jan