Cue some Moroccan style music for this is an impressive dish that's fantastically easy to make, and perfect for a relaxed dinner with friends.
Ingredients - Serves 4
1 tbsp olive oil
1 large onion, thinly sliced
1 garlic clove, crushed
2 tsp grated fresh ginger
1 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp turmeric
1 cinnamon stick
pinch cayenne pepper
400g/14oz can chopped plum tomatoes
500g/1lb 2oz firm white fish fillets (cod, snapper or ling) cut into chunks
400g/14oz can chickpeas, rinsed and drained
2 tsp honey
salt and freshly ground black pepper
fresh coriander leaves
flaked almonds lightly toasted
Preparation and method
1. Heat the olive oil in a large heavy-based pan over a medium heat. Add the onion and cook, stirring occasionally, for five minutes, or until the onion is translucent.
2. Add the garlic, ginger, cumin, turmeric and cinnamon stick and cook for two minutes, stirring regularly.
3. Add the cayenne pepper, tomatoes, salt and 250ml/9oz of water and cook, stirring frequently, for ten minutes.
4. Add the fish and simmer for five minutes, or until the fish is almost cooked through and tender.
5. Add the chickpeas and honey and cook for a further 2-3 minutes, then season, to taste, with salt and freshly ground black pepper.
To serve, spoon out the tagine into bowls and garnish with fresh coriander leaves and flaked almonds