Total Pageviews

Thursday 12 December 2019

Eggs Benedict on Avocado : Low Carb, Keto and delicious !


"What's a classic brunch dish? Eggs benedict, of course! You can make it low carb / keto by replacing the traditional English muffin with a bed of creamy avocado. Same poached eggs, smoked salmon, and hollandaise sauce, but none of the carbs. A fresh, healthy and completely delicious take on an old favourite."

Ingredients 
Four Servings
3g carbs per serving
Hollandaise
3 egg yolks
1 tbsp. lemon juice
salt and pepper to taste
8½ tbsp. unsalted butter
Eggs benedict
2 avocados, pitted and skinned
4 eggs
3½ oz. (100g) smoked salmon
Instructions
more details here

Do you know, the origin of Eggs Benedict ... 
Eggs Benedict has been on American menus for almost one hundred years. There are several stories about the origins of eggs Benedict – all surrounding late-nineteenth-century New York.

It is a very popular brunch and breakfast item. The word first appeared in print in 1893.

During the late 1880s, financier Le Grand Benedick complained to the chef of New York’s Delmonico restaurant that the restaurant breakfast menu was stale. The c
hef, Charles Ranhofer, claimed that he was then inspired to create what he called ‘Egg a la Benedick’ and there is a recipe for it in his book The Epicurean (1894).

A second claim to the dishes origin comes from stockbroker, Lemuel Benedict, who wandered into the Waldorf Restaurant Astoria Hotel in New York, suffering from a debilitating, carousal induced hangover in 1894. He claims to have ordered dry toast topped with bacon, poached eggs and hollandaise to cure his hangover. The chef, Oscar Tschirky, actually substituted English muffins and Canadian bacon and truffles and came up with eggs Benedict in honour of the hung-over stockbroker. 

Mary Lincoln in the 1896 edition of her book Mrs. Lincoln’s Boston Cook Book includes a recipe for ‘Dropped or Poached Eggs on Toast’. She cuts the toast with a round cutter and suggests making a thin cream sauce to pour around them. 

Around 1970, Jack in the Box began serving an Eggs Benedict sandwich.

In 1971 Herb Peterson a McDonald’s operator in Santa Barbara, California modified the Eggs Benedict sandwich and ended up with the Egg McMuffin!

keep your eggs happy and healthy
see post here

Dear reader, you will find a variety of articles, studies etc. plus recent news/views and recipe ideas within this blog, we hope something for everyone to read and enjoy. Please note, not all may be suitable for you. If you may have any food allergies, or underlying health issues these must always be taken into account. If you are a diabetic and not sure how certain foods may affect your blood sugars, test is best, i.e. use your meter.

All the best Jan

32 comments:

Valerie-Jael said...

This egg dish would certainly make me happy! Valerie

Elephant's Child said...

Love the twists you provide to transform recipes. Thank you.

VENTANA DE FOTO said...

Se ve un plato muy apetitoso y sobretodo con pocas calorías.

Besos

Sandi said...

deliriously delicious looking...did I spell that right?? 😀

Tom said...

...I like my eggs over easy, thanks!

Kay said...

Would you believe I never actually knew what eggs Benedict were until I was on a cruise?

Chatty Crone said...

That looks so incredibly good - but I have never ever had luck with getting my avocados right.

Lee said...

I've just sent this on to a friend of mine who is on the Keto Diet.

This N That said...

They look good..nice change..

Bill said...

I might have to give this a try.

DVArtist said...

It looks so good but Hollandaise sauce just never agreed with my taste buds.

My name is Erika. said...

I never thought of serving eggs that way, but it sounds fabulous.

Christine said...

looks good, interesting combination.

Chris Lally said...

Never met one I didn't like:) Thanks, Jan!

Carola Bartz said...

Oh I love this take on Egg Benedict. I can eat avocados every day, and they're so yummy here (with the right degree of ripeness). I think I will try this (even though I am not a low-carb believer).

Lorrie said...

A delicious looking take on Eggs Benedict, a favourite of mine!

Angie said...

We'll have to try this - my hubby loves Eggs Benedict!

Karen said...

Love those smiling egg faces. I used to gather eggs from grandmother's hen house. Eggs and avocado,,,sounds good!

Jo said...

It looks very tempting. I love eggs any which way.

Margaret D said...

Interesting read about the eggs - had no idea where they came from but then never thought about it.

Francisco Manuel Carrajola Oliveira said...

Uma combinação muito interessante.
Um abraço e bom fim-de-semana.

Andarilhar
Dedais de Francisco e Idalisa
O prazer dos livros

Victor S E Moubarak said...

I guess egg benedict is a poached egg with some sauce on top. Have you tried egg Victor? A poached egg with peanut butter on top.

God bless.

eileeninmd said...

Hello,

This looks yummy! I would like to try it. Thanks for sharing! Enjoy your day, have a happy weekend!

Ygraine said...

This is something I have never tried - eggs with a twist...and it looks absolutely delicious!
Thank you so much.😊😊

Have a great weekend!

Hugs xxx

Divers and Sundry said...

Egg on avocado sounds delicious, definitely something I'll try. Thx!

R's Rue said...

Yum.

carol l mckenna said...

Yum ~ great recipe with avocado ~ ^_^

Happy Moments to You,
A ShutterBug Explores,
aka (A Creative Harbor)

Pam said...

That was an egg-cellent post. I have always been the deviled egg maker at the holidays but this Thanksgiving I added some chopped jalapeno in them.....YUM.

Phil Slade said...

Trust McDonald's to mess everything up.

William Kendall said...

I still have never had avocado.

Magic Love Crow said...

Yes, this is for me!!! Yummy!

Linda said...

That looks good. I've made mayo that way.