Total Pageviews

Saturday 14 December 2019

Poinsettia's - Rosemary Christmas Trees ... and Rosemary !



image from here

Poinsettia - have you got yours yet ?
One thing that is always part of Christmas in our house is the Poinsettia, at least one ... if not more, are purchased, and they do look so warm, cheerful and welcoming dotted around on tables, shelves etc. Of course there are many varieties available but for me my favourite is the wonderful RED ones, they are brilliant. We also have some cheery Father Christmas 'wooden' ornaments and decorations and they sit well together on the hall table!
Read a little more about Poinsettia's here


image from here

Rosemary Christmas Trees
It’s Christmas time again and maybe you are looking for another decorating idea, or you live in a small apartment and just don’t have the room for a full size Christmas tree. Of late, rosemary Christmas trees plants have become popular nursery, garden centres and grocery store items.
Not only is rosemary used as a Christmas tree festive ornamental for the season, but it is predominantly disease and pest resistant, aromatic, a culinary treasure, and responds beautifully to pruning to maintain the shape. Additionally, a rosemary tree for Christmas can be planted in the garden to wait the following holiday season while maintaining its role as an indispensable herb.
Read a little more about Rosemary Christmas Trees here

Rosemary
This fragrant herb is great for perking up dishes as it retains its flavour and aroma even after slow-cooking. Traditionally associated with roast lamb and savoury dishes, you could try something different with this hardy herb, such as using it to infuse soft drinks. 
Some recipes using Rosemary:-
Roasted Celeriac & Brussels Sprouts with Rosemary & Duck Fat, details here
Garlic and Rosemary Cauliflower Bread, details here
Lamb Rump with Rosemary Cauliflower Mash, details here
Pomegranate rosemary spritzer, details on this post here

Rosemary and citrus spritz, see here


I wonder do you like Poinsettia's at Christmas?
Have you tried a Rosemary Christmas Tree? 
Do you like cooking with/using Rosemary?

Dear reader … you will find a variety of articles, studies etc. plus recent news/views and recipe ideas within this blog, we hope something for everyone to read and enjoy. It is important to note, not all may be suitable for you. If you may have any food allergies, or underlying health issues these must always be taken into account. If you are a diabetic and not sure how certain foods may affect your blood sugars, test is best, i.e. use a reliable meter.

All the best Jan

38 comments:

Tom said...

...wonderful signs of the season.

pam nash said...

I don't care too much for poinsettias. I do love rosemary though and use it for many things.

Christine said...

love the idea of a rosemary tree

Valerie-Jael said...

Wonderful ideas! Valerie

Chris Lally said...

A rosemary tree is a wonderful idea - will be on the hunt for one! And thanks for the recipes using rosemary! Will add them to the collection:)

JFM said...

How beautiful, festive and informative this post is...thank you 🎄

Gloria Baker said...

what lovely Christmas post!!

CJ Kennedy said...

Poinsettias are beautiful. I love all the colors. That rosemary Christmas tree sounds like a nice idea.

Divers and Sundry said...

I love Poinsettias but don't ever get one until Christmas Day when the church is done with them. I've seen more of the rosemary Christmas trees this year and like them, but I've never had one. My potted rosemary on the patio isn't robust enough to decorate. I use rosemary to cook with sometimes, and it's fun to be able to pinch off a piece of my own :)

Mary Kirkland said...

Those are pretty.

It's me said...

Mmmmmmmm......🎄🎄🎄

Elephant's Child said...

I do like Poinsettias but cant keep them alive. So I admire them elsewhere. The Rosemary Tree is new to me - and I love the idea. Thank you.

Jo said...

I can't say I'm a lover of poinsettias but I do occasionally buy one at Christmas time. I haven't seen those rosemary trees, I shall have to look out for those.

DVArtist said...

I love rosemary. I don't celebrate Christmas so no decorations for me.

carol l mckenna said...

Wonderful festive post ~ love the Rosemary Tree and ideas for flavoring foods ~ ^_^

Happy Moments to You,
A ShutterBug Explores,
aka (A Creative Harbor)

Jules said...

I'm another who's not really a fan of poinsettias. For some reason I enjoy seeing them in stores, just not in my house.
I've never seen rosemary trees before. What a wonderful idea. X

Maria Rodrigues said...

The poinsettias are so beautiful.
I really enjoy using rosemary in food, but I didn't know about its use as a Christmas tree, great idea.
A big hug
Maria

happyone said...

I think poinsettias are beautiful but don't have one.
Never had a rosemary tree but I do like cooking with it.
May next year a rosemary tree will be at my house. I like that idea.

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

I tried to save my poinsettia two years ago. It did ok for awhile, but the summer heat got to it. I have rosemary, but it is not shaped like a tree, unfortunately.

My name is Erika. said...

I have never seen rosemary Christmas trees here in the US. But what a great idea. I am not sure I would like the smell as much as I do the fir trees we have here, but it is still a marvelous smell.

Miss Val's Creations said...

I love Poinsettias but never buy them. Maybe I should pick up a couple to decorate. The rosemary Christmas trees are so fun with their curly leaves and functional since they can be consumed or dried later.

DeniseinVA said...

I enjoyed this very much, thanks Jan! Bad colds and home repairs and visitors have put us behind for decorating the tree, but hope to rectify that situation first thing on Monday :)

sandy said...

I haven't gotten one yet but I do love them.! thanks for the link.

Teresa said...

Interesante el árbol de romero, me gusta la idea. Un beso.

Margaret D said...

Rather like poinsettia's often see them in the gardens in certain areas in winter when we travel, bit cool for them in Tasmania outdoors.

Khaya Ronkainen said...

A lovely Christmas post that delights all senses. "Poinsettia - have you got yours yet ?" It's a constant season's feature in our home; and a common gift from others. The Rosemary Christmas tree is adorable and handy, especially for apartments. And as always, I got a few recipes to try this Christmas from your recipes. Thank you. :-)

Martha said...

All so pretty. I'd enjoy having a rosemary tree.

Rose said...

For me, it is the red poinsettia, too. The others are pretty, but they don't say Christmas to me as much as the red ones.

Jeanie said...

I love poinsettias but need to be careful where I place them, thanks to plant-loving Lizzie! And rosemary trees are wonderful. I adore rosemary, one of my favorite herbs!

Lady Caer Morganna said...

These are some very interesting and lovely ideas! I love poinsettia's as well - very pretty indeed! I apologize regarding my blog - I have no idea why you are having much trouble getting onto it? I know last night we had trouble with everything with our internet service at our house -perhaps that is a factor? Have a wonderful holiday, Jan!! Much love.

DMS said...

I have never had a rosemary tree, but I do like poinsettias. :) And as for cooking- I only like the slightest hint of rosemary.
~Jess

https://linsartyblobs.blogspot.com said...

I've got a small poinsettia this year. I like the idea of a rosemary Christmas tree. I use rosemary in my cooking, I've got several plants growing in the garden.

Snowbird said...

Lovely ideas especially the rosemary Christmas tree.xxx

angryparsnip said...

The Rosemary tree looks so great.
parsnip

Conniecrafter said...

I love poinsettia's, usually the church gives the ones away that they have after Christmas and I take one or two, but I think they are poisonous and we have a little curious kitten, so we won't be taking one this year. I hadn't seen the rosemary trees, and I don't use it much in my cooking but I love the idea!

Debbie said...

i really love the scent of fresh rosemary, the tree is beautiful!!!

William Kendall said...

A pretty tree.

Magic Love Crow said...

I have to admit, my mom doesn't like poinsettias. I don't know why? I would like to get a rosemary tree!!!