Total Pageviews

Friday 24 January 2020

Seafood Chowder : Low Carb : Keto




Elegant layers of flavour combine with flaky, tender chunks of salmon, shrimp, and wilted spinach, giving this cream-based seafood chowder absolute rave reviews! It's colourful, beautiful, delicious, easy and low carb / keto! A winner all around!

Ingredients
Serves Four
6g carbs per serving
4 tbsp. butter
2 garlic cloves, minced
5 oz. (150g) celery stalks, sliced
1 cup (225ml) clam juice
1½ cups (350ml) heavy (double) whipping cream
2 tsp dried sage or dried thyme
½ lemon, juice and zest
4 oz. (110g) cream cheese
1 lb (450g) salmon or other firm fish, pin bones removed, fillets cut into 1" pieces
2 oz. (50g) baby spinach
8 oz. (225g) shrimp peeled and deveined
salt and ground black pepper
½ tbsp. red chili peppers

fresh sage, optional for garnish
Instructions
can be seen here

Did you know that, "Chowder is a type of rich soup, usually made with seafood, vegetables, and cream. Traditionally, it includes a base of bacon and is thickened with broken up crackers, although variations of the dish with slightly different ingredients are made in many seafaring communities. Often likened to a stew, this soup is thick with chunks of ingredients, and has a very hearty, warming flavour. In the United States, chowder is frequently made with clams, and two varieties are very popular: New England style, which uses cream, and Manhattan style, which uses a base of pureed tomatoes. 

In many seafaring communities, fishers would throw samples of the catch into a large cauldron and boil the chunks of fish with an assortment of vegetables such as potatoes. In France, this dish was called Chaudière, after the pot it was cooked in. The French also added broken biscuits or crackers to make the dish thicker. It is probable that Americans adopted chowder from French settlers in the Northern areas of the colonies, because of the name, although the British have a long tradition of seafood stews as well. 

The word first appeared in English within a recipe header in 1751, although there is evidence that the dish was popular well before then. This recipe included onions, bacon, fish, an assortment of spices, biscuits, claret, and water. In the 1800s, American cooks began to make the transition to clams, because of the abundance of shellfish in the new colony. Cooks also began to add cream to the soup, and to differentiate unique types depending on the ingredients."
Words above and more to read here



As regular readers know, this blog is presented in a magazine style - we hope something for everyone. You will find a variety of articles, studies, thoughts, photographs, music and recipes! 

However, not all the recipes ideas featured in this blog may be suitable for you. If you may have any food allergies, or underlying health issues these must always be taken into account. If you are a diabetic and not sure how certain foods may affect your blood sugars, test is best, i.e. use your meter.

All the best Jan

31 comments:

Rain said...

Oh I LOVE seafood chowder...any chowder in fact! I'm definitely craving some right now!!

Miss Val's Creations said...

Funny, I have never eaten chowder and lived my first 44 years in New England! The smell of fish was never my favorite scent. I do however make a vegetarian chowder with potatoes and corn.

Elephant's Child said...

It looks hearty and intriguing. I assume the cream cheese is used as a thickener rather than the crackers.

Sandi said...

I wish I could dive right into this!

DeniseinVA said...

Very interesting Jan. My favorite clam chowder was at a seafood restaurant 200 miles south of here near the ocean. They always served it with a small glass of sherry, which you poured onto the top of the chowder. I thought it was very odd when I first saw it, but then I tasted it and it went together like bread and butter :) Delicious!

CJ Kennedy said...

Here in Boston we pronounce it: chowdah 😻

Blog Enfim... said...

Our mouth watered!Very tasty
http://unhasdaraquel.blogspot.com

dellgirl said...

Oooo This looks so yummm-ily delicious it’s making my mouth water. Thank you for sharing this recipe.

Wishing you a wonderful weekend!

Ti M said...

Hi,
I follow you #214 ,follow back?

https://fashionisbiglove.blogspot.com/

Christine said...

Yummy and comforting!

My name is Erika. said...

Oh yum. Chowder is an absolute favorite soup. I'e never had salmon in it though.

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

Now THIS sounds good. I like anything with salmon and shrimp.

Mary Kirkland said...

I've made something like this so it sounds good to me.

Sami said...

The seafood chowder looks great.
Have a great weekend :)

aussie aNNie said...

yum....my DIL eats food like this and maybe I may have to convert...xx

Lorrie said...

We love seafood and chowder is a delicious way to eat it. Sounds like a wonderful recipe.

Valerie-Jael said...

Sounds good! Valerie

Ygraine said...

Oh WOW, this looks truly amazing!!
I love seafood, and have never tasted chowder before...so here goes!
Many thanks for sharing! :))

Have a super weekend!

Hugs xxx

R's Rue said...

Yum.

roughterrain crane said...

I would like to have this on a cold day in winter.

Sussi said...

looks and sounds delicious!

mamasmercantile said...

That looks amazing.

Tom said...

...yummmmmmm!

Jeanie said...

That looks especially great on a cold day like today!

Fun60 said...

Looks delicious.

Gloria Baker said...

absolutely love this xoxo

Lee said...

When my now late ex and I managed a restaurant at the coast (Sunshine Coast...Noosa area) I made pots of seafood chowder. Every day I made a huge pot of delicious chowder for the restaurant menu. It was a seafood restaurant...When we weren't tied up at the jetty on the Noosa River..."The Laguna Belle" was a cruising restaurant. :)

I have, over the years, written about it on my blog.

I love seafood chowder! :)

Sue said...

It looks great but I'm really not a lover of seafood x

Angie said...

Jan - I can't wait to try this!

baili said...

looks delicious dear Jan though i prefer the fish of sweet water (river,lake) than sea
thank you for sharing !

William Kendall said...

Not for me, though.