Total Pageviews

Saturday 15 May 2021

Celery - Healthy Benefits of Adding it to Your Diet



Five Healthy Benefits of Adding Celery to Your Diet

At just 10 calories a stalk, celery’s claim to fame may be that it’s long been considered a low-calorie "diet food." But crispy, crunchy celery actually has a number of health benefits that may surprise you. Here are five reasons you should consider adding celery to your diet, plus a few recipes to make it easy.

1. Celery is a great source of important antioxidants.
Antioxidants protect cells, blood vessels, and organs from oxidative damage.
Celery contains vitamin C, beta carotene, and flavonoids, but there are at least 12 additional kinds of antioxidant nutrients found in a single stalk. It’s also a wonderful source of phytonutrients, which have been shown to reduce instances of inflammation in the digestive tract, cells, blood vessels, and organs.

2. Celery reduces inflammation.
Chronic inflammation has been linked to many illnesses, including arthritis and osteoporosis. Celery and celery seeds have approximately 25 anti-inflammatory compounds that can offer protection against inflammation in the body.

3. Celery supports digestion.
While its antioxidant and anti-inflammatory nutrients offer protection to the entire digestive tract, celery may offer special benefits to the stomach. Pectin-based polysaccharides in celery, including a compound known as apiuman, have been shown to decrease instances of stomach ulcers, improve the lining of the stomach, and modulate stomach secretions in animal studies. And then there’s the high water content of celery — almost 95% — plus generous amounts of soluble and insoluble fibre. All of those support a healthy digestive tract and keep you regular. One cup of celery sticks has 5 grams of dietary fibre.

4. Celery is rich in vitamins and minerals with a low glycemic index.
You’ll enjoy vitamins A, K, and C, plus minerals like potassium and folate when you eat celery. It’s also low in sodium. Plus, it’s low on the glycemic index, meaning it has a slow, steady effect on your blood sugar.

5. Celery has an alkalizing effect.
With minerals like magnesium, iron, and sodium, celery can have a neutralizing effect on acidic foods — not to mention the fact that these minerals are necessary for essential bodily functions.

Tips for Buying and Storing Celery
Sturdy stalks. Look for celery that has sturdy, upright stalks. They should snap easily when you pull them, not bend.
Crisp leaves. Leaves should be crisp and fresh, ranging in colour from pale to bright green. Avoid celery with yellow or brown patches.
Wait to chop. Chop celery just before cooking or serving to maintain nutrients. Even celery that has been chopped and stored for just a few hours will lose nutrients.
Steam it. Steamed celery will retain flavour and almost all of its nutrients.
Eat in five to seven days. Eat fresh celery within five to seven days to enjoy its maximum nutritional benefits.
Eat the leaves. Don’t discard the leaves — that’s where celery has the most calcium, potassium, and vitamin C. But because they don’t store well, consume celery leaves within a day or two of purchase.

In addition to its many health benefits, celery is a versatile veggie. You can eat it raw or cooked, and it makes a great addition to smoothies, stir-fries, soups, and juices.
Words above from article here

We bring a variety of articles and recipe ideas to this blog, and not all may be suitable for you. If you may have any food allergies, or underlying health issues these must always be taken into account. If you are a diabetic and not sure how certain foods may affect your blood sugars, test is best, i.e. use your meter.

All the best Jan

27 comments:

Jo said...

It certainly has lots of health benefits, it's not something I eat regularly though.

Divers and Sundry said...

I like celery but don't eat it as much as I could. I tend to forget it's there.

Tom said...

...I have some growing in my garden.

J C said...

I had no idea celery was so healthy. I will be buying more now. Thanks.

linda said...

I do love celery but tend to store in the fridge for quite a while, it's probably lost all it's nutrients by the time I eat it all.

Elephant's Child said...

Inflammation is a problem for me at the moment. I must get some celery. Thank you.

Martha said...

Lots of health benefits but I'm not a big fan of celery. I hope you are having a great weekend Jan. :)

William Kendall said...

Quite informative. It's been awhile since I've had any.

Teresa said...

El apio no lo suelo comer, no me gusta mucho. Besos.

Victor S E Moubarak said...

We love celery. What else can I say?

God bless.

J.P. Alexander said...

El apio es bastante nutritivo y ami me gusta en jugos y otras comidas . Te mando un beso

Magic Love Crow said...

I have to get some celery! I love celery!
Thanks for the information about blogger! Truly appreciate it! Big Hugs!

peppylady (Dora) said...

I actual eat quite bit of celery
Coffee is on and stay safe

Valerie-Jael said...

Who doesn't love celery?! Valerie

Practical Parsimony said...

Celery leaves are where any toxins are stored. I no longer eat the leaves,

Flowermouse Design ❀ Lone said...

Thank you for your post Jan. So very informative. I eat it everyday as I like it so much. But I didn’t know about the leaves. Thank you!!! All the best to you❣️

Miss Val's Creations said...

Great information Jan. I did not realize how nutritious celery is. That is good to know about storage. We tend to clean it, chop it and store is so it is ready to eat. Now I will make sure we only cut what we need when we are ready to eat some!

Sue said...

I love celery, and always eat the leaves chopped into my salad. Have a very happy week Jan & Eddie, Sue x

Practical Parsimony said...

Maybe I should have said pesticides are stored in the leaves of celery.

Lowcarb team member said...

Practical Parsimony said...
Celery leaves are where any toxins are stored. I no longer eat the leaves

Maybe I should have said pesticides are stored in the leaves of celery

Hello there, many thanks for your comments here
Looking at various articles about celery and toxins, "It’s true that celery contains some natural toxins – it produces psoralens, compounds that sensitize the skin to the harmful effects of ultraviolet radiation in sunlight. You only have to be concerned about these when you are dealing with raw celery – the psoralens are broken down by cooking. These toxins come from a common fungus called pink rot that affects celery. Pink rot is responsible for the brownish patches that discolour many celery stalks. If you avoid celery with the brownish patches, you shouldn’t have to worry about the psoralens."
https://www.drweil.com/diet-nutrition/nutrition/does-celery-contain-too-many-toxins/

Although often more expensive it can also be advantageous to buy organic, if possible.
However, if you are still doubtful (and those who may have other contra-indications) then do as you do and avoid eating the leaves.

Once again many thanks for sharing your thoughts here, it is appreciated.

All the best Jan

aussie aNNie said...

This is my main summer food, love it just nibbling outside by the pool xx

Rose said...

This makes me hungry for celery...I did not dream it was such a beneficial food.

Martha said...

Very informative! Celery is something I use in many of my dishes, especially soups.

David M. Gascoigne, said...

We don't eat celery nearly as much as we should. We use it in the cold weather months as an ingredient in stews, but we should add it to salads more frequently.

DVArtist said...

Ohhh this is a fantastic post. Thank you so much.

Conniecrafter said...

I didn't know that celery had that many goodness in them, and never heard of steaming them.

Pat @ Mille Fiori Favoriti said...

I do like and use celery. I often make soups and sites and celery s always a part of them, I also chop it into salads ad love its crunch.