Total Pageviews

Saturday 8 May 2021

Weekend Frittata : Baked Avocado, Sweetcorn and Feta


Yes, the weekend is here! How about enjoying a 'Weekend Frittata' with wedges of avocado baked in, it adds extra creaminess and goodness! A very nice weekend brunch! So lovely, and low carb too!
What do you think?

Ingredients
Serves Eight
(amend recipe to suit) 
2½ tbsp. oil, plus extra for greasing
2 large red onions, sliced
2 garlic cloves, crushed
2½ tsp ground cumin
2 tsp smoked paprika
12 large eggs
2 tsp fine sea salt
150ml soured cream
30g coriander
50g Parmesan, finely grated - use vegetarian cheese, if required
1x198g tin sweetcorn, drained
3 tbsp. lime juice
200g feta, crumbled - use vegetarian cheese, if required
2 ripe avocados
100g cherry tomatoes, halved

Method
1. Preheat the oven to 180°C, fan 160°C, gas 4. Grease and line a 20cm x 30cm x 5cm deep ovenproof dish or roasting tin.
2. Heat the oil in a frying pan and fry the red onions with a pinch of salt for 12-15 minutes until soft. Add the garlic and spices and cook for a further 2-3 minutes, stirring. Spread out on a plate to cool.
3. In a large bowl, whisk the eggs with the salt and soured cream. Chop most of the coriander, reserving a few leaves for garnish, then stir through the eggs along with the cooled onions, Parmesan, sweetcorn, 2 tablespoons of the lime juice, half the feta and some freshly ground black pepper.
4. Pour this mixture into the prepared dish. Slice the avocado, brush the tops of the slices with the remaining lime juice and gently arrange over the top, taking care not to let them sink too much. Nestle the halved tomatoes in between and scatter over the remaining feta.
5. Bake for 40-45 minutes until golden brown and set. Leave to rest for at least 5-10 minutes before cutting into squares and garnishing with a few coriander leaves. Best enjoyed warm or at room temperature, not fridge cold.

Tip
The cooked and cooled frittata will keep in the fridge for up to 2 days. Remove from the fridge 30 mins before serving.
Nutritional Information
Per Serving Fat 29g Carbs 9g Protein 21g
Need help with weight measurement conversion
see here
Recipe
from an original idea here


more about avocados here

You will find a variety of articles and recipe ideas within this blog. It is important to note, not all may be suitable for you. If you may have any food allergies, or underlying health issues these must always be taken into account. If you are a diabetic and not sure how certain foods may affect your blood sugars, test is best, i.e. use your meter.

All the best Jan

32 comments:

linda said...

This sounds really healthy, I wish I liked Avocado 🤔 have a great weekend.

kathyinozarks said...

Wow this sounds really delicious-will pin this on my pinterest board thanks

Christine said...

Looks so good!

Valerie-Jael said...

How delicious! Happy weekend, Valerie

eileeninmd said...

Hello,

Sounds like a delicious recipe and meal.
Have a happy day and a great new week!

William Kendall said...

Sounds good.

Elephant's Child said...

Yum.
Frittata is always on my go to list - though I rarely bake them.

Tom said...

...something to try!

Teresa said...

Me encanta el aguacate. Feliz domingo.

CJ Kennedy said...

Looks so pretty!

DVArtist said...

Ohh this looks so good. I am going to the store in the morning I will get some avocados.

Rose said...

I would love to taste these!

J.P. Alexander said...

Gracias por la receta he hecho fritatta pero no de esa forma. Te mando un beso

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

I try to eat an avocado a day, but I never thought of cooking them. This looks delicious.

Gloria Baker said...

This sounds really amazing Jan!! hugs!

Jo said...

This looks delicious. I don't like avocado but I've never tried cooking with them so perhaps I'll give this a try.

Margaret D said...

Looks rather good.

My name is Erika. said...

This looks amazing. I've added avocado to egg dishes before, but never corn. Oh yummmy! Happy Sunday.

Jenn Jilks said...

You create the best stuff!!!

R's Rue said...

👌

Martha said...

What a lovely recipe! Thank you for sharing it. I hope you've had a lovely weekend.

Debbie said...

oooooh this looks so good!! i always have trouble buying avocado, i am going to give it another go!! happy mothers day dear friend!!

Jeanie said...

This sounds delicious and healthy too!

Lisabella Russo said...

I love avocados, thank you for the recipe!

Magic Love Crow said...

This looks so good!! I'm making this! Thanks Sandra! Big Hugs!

Magic Love Crow said...

Jan, did I call you Sandra in my last comment? LOL! If I did, sorry! LOL! Thinking too much about making the recipe, I lost my mind! LOL! Big Hugs!

Miss Val's Creations said...

This is up my ally! I have only baked avocado once before. Now I feel inspired to do so again!

Sondra said...

wow that looks amazing I eat avocado almost daily I put it on an English muffin for Breakfast most mornings...I want to try this one. Have a great week.

Ygraine said...

A bit late for the weekend...but this looks perfect for Monday supper!😉😊
Thank you so much for sharing...

Have a great week!

Hugs xxx

Inger said...

Those avocados look heavenly! And what a great recipe, thank you.

Sue said...

I would have to pass on the avocado, definitely not one of my favourites, but the rest of it looks delicious! Take care and have a wonderful week, Sue xx

Francisco Manuel Carrajola Oliveira said...

Hummmm delicioso.
Um abraço e continuação de uma boa semana.

Andarilhar
Dedais de Francisco e Idalisa
Livros-Autografados