(makes one burger)
1 ripe avocado
2 bacon rashers
1 tbsp. low carb mayonnaise
Sea salt, to taste
3. Slice the avocados in half width-wise. Remove the pit and use a spoon to scoop it out of its skin.
4. Fill the hole where the pit used to be with the low carb mayonnaise.
5. Layer with lettuce, tomato, onion, bacon, and fried egg.
6. Season with sea salt.
7. Top with the second half of the avocado.
1. They fit all diets!
No matter what eating guidelines you follow, the humble avocado works for all!
2. They're nutrient dense
Avocados are packed with beneficial nutrients to enhance the nutrient quality of your meals.
3. Avocado makes an awesome spread
Substitute butter and margarine for a healthy spread of avocado. You'll boost your nutrient intake, and it tastes great!
4. Boost your fruit intake!
7. They're low in sugar
They may be a fruit, but they contain less than 1g of sugar per ounce!
8. Avocados make great baby food!
They're firm enough for tiny fingers, yet mashable and soft enough to be gentle on gums. Rich in healthy fats, fibre, and other nutrients, it makes a great addition to your baby's first foods.
9. They're full of healthy fats
Over 75% of the fat content in an avocado is great for your heart! In fact, having more of these healthy unsaturated fats is better for your heart than eating low fat!
10. Avocado boosts your eye health
Avocados contain 81mg of lutein & zeaxanthin, antioxidants known to support eye health as we age.
11. An avocado is an edible bowl for your favourite fillings!
Simply cut an avocado in half, and fill with all sorts of things, from sauerkraut and salsa to diced roast vegetables, a few spoons of curry or bake an egg in it!
12. They nourish your brain and nervous system
A serve of avocado contains 3.5g of unsaturated fat required for healthy brain and nervous system development
13. They make a great fat substitute in baking!
Swap butter or coconut oil for pureed avocado. You won't taste it, trust us!
14. They make all things creamy and delicious!
Need something to be thicker, creamier, like say, a decadent chocolate mousse, or healthy banana thick shake? Add some avocado!
15. They'll keep your cholesterol on track!
Battling a cholesterol problem? Avocados are the richest known fruit source of phytosterols, a natural plant compound that competes with dietary cholesterol absorption.
16. Avocados contain nutrients essential for a healthy pregnancy
Containing folate, vitamin E, B vitamins, iron, choline, and fibre, they're great for both yourself and your growing baby throughout the entire pregnancy, from conception, birth and beyond.
17. They have more potassium than a banana!
Bananas are known for their potassium content, but per 100g, the avocado fruit contains 485mg of potassium, that's 127mg more than bananas!
18. They make a satisfying snack
All you need is a little sea salt, cracked pepper and a spoon!
19. There are plenty of ways to eat them
You can grill them, bake them, or eat them raw.
20. You can make ice cream with avocado!
A brilliant, dairy-free, vegan alternative to store-bought ice cream varieties, simply blend 1/2 an avocado and a squeeze of lime juice with 2 tbsp. of maple syrup and 1 cup of your milk of choice. Pour into ice block molds and freeze. Delicious!"
All the best Jan