2 Medjool dates, stoned and finely chopped
50g butter, softened
400g ground almonds
1 tsp baking powder
2 tsp vanilla extract
1½ tsp almond extract
Zest of an orange, finely grated
3 egg whites, loosely beaten
15 walnuts, halved or flaked almonds to decorate
1. Heat the oven to 350 F/ 180 C / Gas 4. Melt the dates in 3 tbsp. hot water in a small bowl, 'bashing' them to a puree with a fork.
2. Push the puree through a fine sieve to get rid of the skins. Blitz with the remaining ingredients (not the walnuts) in a food processor.
3. Roll the mixture into walnut-sized balls and place on a greased baking tray.
4. Flatten them gently into circles about 4cm across. Push walnuts into the top of each.
5. Bake for 10 minutes, or until golden-brown. Remove from the oven and allow to cool for 5 minutes.
A serving (1/4 cup or 28 grams) of the almond meal has the same nutrition of almond flour of nearly 160 calories, 6 grams of carbs and 3 grams of fibre. Only 6 total carbs or 3 net carbs per serving.
You can learn more about low carb flours from Libby at 'Ditch The Carbs' site, she has a very good guide, which you can read here
All the best Jan