Total Pageviews

Sunday 15 April 2018

Asparagus - Reasons Why You Should Eat More !

Daisy Coyle APD writes:

"Asparagus, officially known as Asparagus officinalis, is a member of the lily family. This popular vegetable comes in a variety of colours, including green, white and purple. It’s used in dishes around the world, including frittatas, pastas and stir-fries. Asparagus is also low in calories and packed with essential vitamins, minerals and antioxidants. 



Seven Reasons Why You Should Eat More Asparagus:
1. Many Nutrients But Few Calories
Asparagus is a low-calorie vegetable that is an excellent source of essential vitamins and minerals, especially folate and vitamins A, C and K.

2. Good Source of Antioxidants
Asparagus provides a good source of antioxidants, including vitamins C and E, flavonoids and polyphenols. Antioxidants prevent the accumulation of harmful free radicals and may reduce your risk of chronic disease.

3. Can Improve Digestive Health
As a good source of fibre, asparagus promotes regularity and digestive health and may help reduce your risk of heart disease, high blood pressure and diabetes.

4. Helps Support a Healthy Pregnancy
Asparagus is high in folate (vitamin B9), an important nutrient that helps reduce the risk of neural tube defects during pregnancy.

5. Helps Lower Blood Pressure

Asparagus contains potassium, a mineral that can help lower high blood pressure. In addition, animal research has found that asparagus may contain an active compound that dilates blood vessels, thus lowering blood pressure.

6. Can Help You Lose Weight
Asparagus has a number of features that make it a weight-loss friendly food. It’s low in calories, high in water and rich in fibre.

7. Easy to Add to Your Diet
Asparagus is a delicious and versatile vegetable that’s easy to incorporate into your diet. Add it to salads, frittatas, omelettes and stir-fries.

The Bottom Line
Asparagus is a nutritious and tasty addition to any diet. It’s low in calories and a great source of nutrients, including fibre, folate and vitamins A, C and K. Additionally, eating asparagus has a number of potential health benefits, including weight loss, improved digestion, healthy pregnancy outcomes and lower blood pressure. Plus, it’s easy to prepare and makes a delicious addition to a number of recipes."

The above words have been taken from Daisy's article, read it in full here 

searching for asparagus recipes ...


Asparagus Crustless Quiche
see more details here


Asparagus soup 
see more details here


Asparagus Wrapped With Prosciutto
see more details here


Bon Appetit !

You will find a variety of articles and recipe ideas, are within this blog. It is important to note, not all may be suitable for you. If you may have any food allergies, or underlying health issues these must always be taken into account. If you are a diabetic and not sure how certain foods may affect your blood sugars, test is best, i.e. use your meter.

All the best Jan

30 comments:

William Kendall said...

I've still never tried them.

Catarina said...

I love asparagus, even raw.
I buy the green ones. I have seen the white ones, which are much more expensive, but have never seen the purple ones.

Christine said...

I feel hungry now.

Tom said...

...it's one of my favorites!

Martha said...

All good stuff about asparagus. I didn't discover it until my older years and now I'm enjoying it.

Elephant's Child said...

All those things - and delicious too.

The Joy of Home with Martha Ellen said...

I love asparagus, Jan. Especially when the fresh is available at the farmer's market. I can remember my Mama eating it out of the can--yuck for me, but I love the fresh. ♥

Lorrie said...

I disliked asparagus as a child, but have grown to like it now. The prosciutto-wrapped stalks look delicious.

Pam said...

Oh..I love asparagus! Broiled in the oven with just salt and pepper on it....oh yum.

Margaret D said...

Often make asparagus soup. If not with fresh asparagus then tinned ones.

Iris Flavia said...

Here the white asparagus is more common and sadly I don´t like it fresh.
But I really did plan for quite a while to try green one this week, if available!

Draffin Bears said...

Hi Jan,

Asparagus are one of my favourites, shame I have to wait till the season comes around again about Christmas time.
Happy new week
hugs
Carolyn

Valerie-Jael said...

Asparagus is one of my faves. The fresh, local asparagus will hit the shops soon, and I am looking forward to it. Hugs, Valerie

Jo said...

That quiche looks lovely.

eileeninmd said...

Hello, I love asparagus. Usually just steamed is fine for me.

Happy Monday, enjoy your day and new week!

Carol Blackburn said...

I will have to try the asparagus quiche real soon. I know Mike will love it too. Have a great week!

Anonymous said...

Thank you for the info and link to the recipes.

DMS said...

I love asparagus! Loved seeing all the pictures of ways to make it and the recipes. Thanks!
~Jess

Amy Purdy said...

I love asparagus. I usually roast it with a little olive oil, salt and pepper.

The Happy Whisk said...

LOVE these!

VENTANA DE FOTO said...

Los espárragos siempre han sido objeto de mi predilección, me gusta ponerlo bastante a menudo.

Besos

Lowcarb team member said...

VENTANA DE FOTO:
Literal Google Translation!
Asparagus has always been the subject of my predilection, I like to put it quite often.

... which I think means, 'Ventana' likes Asparagus and eats it often!

All the best Jan

PS Thanks to everyone for your comments

Rose said...

I can't wait until the asparagus in my garden is ready to pick! My husband and I both love it, and it's good to know how healthy it is. I usually steam it or roast it with a little olive oil and seasonings, but I sometimes add it to pasta recipes as well. My mother used to make a very simple spring supper of creamed asparagus over toast. That brings back so many memories. Hope all is well with you, Jan!

Snowbird said...

I just love asparagus, it grow wild here but is perfectly edible. xxx

Lee said...

I eat a lot of asparagus...fresh and canned. I love it! At present I've a few containers in my freezer of my homemade asparagus soup.

Lady Fi said...

I love asparagus fried with olive oil, garlic and then a sprinkling of parmesan on top.

baili said...

Thank you for such useful sharing my friend!

I would love to try all the recipes of this amazing vegetable

sandy said...

oH all of these photos look so good!! Which reminds me I need to buy some when i go shopping. I'm waiting for four first farmers market to open up in our small town - it will be something the town hasn't done before so I'm looking forward to all the veggies and fresh fruit.

Magic Love Crow said...

Excellent list! Thank you Jan! Big Hugs!

Lisa said...

My dad once cooked me asparagus and I surprised myself my liking it. I have tried to cook it and it's been awful. I wish I knew how to cook it like he did!
Lisa x