Total Pageviews

Saturday 21 April 2018

Fried Fish, Snowpeas and a Yogurt and Walnut Dip : Low Carb



Did you know ... Snow peas are also known as Chinese pea pods since they are often used in stir-fries. They are flat with very small peas inside; the whole pod is edible, although the tough "strings" along the edges are usually removed before eating. Snow peas are mildly flavoured and can be served raw or cooked.

We like to eat them, and they do go so well with fish, so when I saw this recipe I thought ... yum!

Ingredients:
Serves Four
7g carb per serving
1¾ lbs / 800g white fish
½ teaspoon salt
3 oz. / 75g butter
¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
2⁄3 lb / 300g snow peas

Yogurt and walnut dip:
1 cup / 225ml Greek yogurt
2 tablespoons olive oil
2 oz. / 50g walnuts
½ teaspoon lemon, zest
salt and pepper
See instructions on Diet Doctor site here

Tips:
Of course, if preferred snow peas can be replaced with other low-carb vegetables such as courgette/zucchini, cauliflower or broccoli.

Make good use of the leftover lemon juice! Feel free to sprinkle a few drops over the fish if you’re looking for an extra punch of citrus flavour!

We bring a variety of recipe ideas to this blog, but please note, not all may be suitable for you. If you may have any food allergies, or underlying health issues these must always be taken into account. If you are a diabetic and not sure how certain foods may affect your blood sugars, test is best, i.e. use your meter.


... flowers can brighten up any day of the week ...
Wishing all readers a Happy Weekend.

All the best Jan

30 comments:

eileeninmd said...

Hello, the fish and snowpeas look delicious. The flowers do look cheerful, lovely image.
Enjoy your day and weekend!

Anonymous said...

Good Morning, The flower bouquet is so cheerful. We love fish. Thanks for the recipe. I confess, I've never prepared snow peas at home. I'll have to try some this spring/summer.

Cheryl said...

Looks like a great light lunch, minus the dressing for me :)

Ygraine said...

I have never heard of snowpeas before!
I am intrigued...I simply have to try this super recipe.
Many thanks for sharing this.:))

Christine said...

Looks delicious, I've also been using sugar snap peas lately, I get them pre trimmed in a package. Thanks for the flowers too.

Jo said...

It looks lovely, a nice light dinner for the warmer months.

Martha said...

This looks really delicious. And it reminds me that we are overdue for a nice fish meal.

Chris Lally said...

Great recipe & lovely flowers! What a great way to start the weekend.
Thank you, Jan! Wishing you a happy weekend, too!

Tom said...

...looks mighty good!

Valerie-Jael said...

I love how this sounds! Hugs, Valerie

Mary Kirkland said...

That sounds like it would be good.

William Kendall said...

Good for those who like fish.

Anonymous said...

I was just snacking on raw sugar snap peas, we also love them,, this fish looks lovely and i copied the recipe down! Beautiful flowers

Elephant's Child said...

Hooray for snowpeas. My father always called them Mange Tout.

Our photos said...

Hmm, that looks tasty !

DeniseinVA said...

Yum, thank you Jan. Another delicious recipe to enjoy.

carol l mckenna said...

Love snow peas ~ yummy looking and another great foodie post ~ healthy too!

Happy Week ahead to you,
A ShutterBug Explores,
aka (A Creative Harbor)

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

I grow snow peas in my summer vegetable garden. I like them better than regular peas. I'm always on the lookout for good recipes involving them, and this is a wonderful recipe even this vegetarian can appreciate and try. I love that you shared this with us Jan.

Also thanks for letting me know that "half and half" is also known as "Single Cream." I think my European friends can now understand what I'm talking about. I gave you credit for teaching it to me, too.

Bob Bushell said...

Nice to eat, I love mangetout very much, thanks Jan.

Zaa said...

Snow Peas are a family favourite and I think this recipe will be too( ha Ha)... Thank you for these wonderful recipes....Hugs

Bill said...

Looks delicious and I love fish.
Thanks Jan.

Sandra Cox said...

That yogurt and walnut recipe sounds delicious! I love snow peas:)
Hope your weekend has been as great as you are.

Magic Love Crow said...

This looks so good Jan! Thank you! I hope you had a great weekend!

Sara - Villa Emilia said...

Hello Jan and thank you for another great recipe!
Wishing you all a happy week! xx

Iris Flavia said...

Especially the dip sounds interesting!

Amy Purdy said...

I love fish and the dip sounds really good.

happyone said...

We like the snow peas here at my house.

Kezzie said...

I didn't know these were what snow peas were! I thought they were Mange tout!

Phil Slade said...

Never heard of Snowpeas but I guess they are very closely related to mange-tout?

Lowcarb team member said...

PhilSlade said:
Never heard of Snowpeas but I guess they are very closely related to mange-tout?

Hi Phil, many thanks for your comment and question.

Words from this article here explain more about snow peas, snap peas, sweet peas, and mangetout. How are they different from one another? How are they prepared for cooking?

Peas: small, round and green; sold fresh, frozen, dried or canned.

Snow peas: edible whole pods with unripened peas inside; pods rather flat; sold fresh or canned; called chicharo or sitsaro in the Philippines.

Snap peas: like snow peas, edible whole pods with unripened peas inside; pods rounder than snow peas; sold fresh or canned.

Mangetout: a French term for “eat all” refers to both snap peas and snap peas and is descriptive of the characteristics of both of having edible pods.

Read more here
https://casaveneracion.com/snow-peas-snap-peas-sweet-peas-mangetout-and-edamame/

All the best Jan