Total Pageviews

Monday 23 September 2019

Ginger Loaf ... it's low in carbs and gorgeous, enjoy a slice with butter


Now, I love ginger and this Ginger Loaf recipe, by Julia McPhee, uses a combination of fresh and powdered ginger, you may wish to give it a try. This loaf is great served with butter.

Ingredients:
1 1/2 cups Almond meal
½ tsp Baking powder
¼ tsp Baking soda
2 tbsp. Dried ginger (I like a 'gingery' loaf but you may want to reduce this to 1 tbsp. for a milder flavour)
1 tbsp. Ginger (fresh grated)
1 tsp Mixed spice
¼ cup Walnuts, chopped (optional)
100g melted butter or ½ cup mild olive oil
4 Eggs
1 tbsp. vanilla essence
1 tbsp. Natvia (sweetener of your choice)

Instructions:
Mix all dry ingredients.
Add beaten eggs, vanilla, oil.
Mix well and pour into a loaf tin.
Bake at 175º C,  350º F,  Gas Mark 4 for around 30 minutes until loaf is firm and browned on top.

Nutrition Information:
Serves: 10
Serving size: 1
Calories: 217
Fat: 20.7g
Saturated fat: 6.4g
Carbohydrates: 1.4g
Protein: 6.0g

Fresh ginger can be purchased in most supermarkets. Mature ginger has a tough skin that requires peeling. Fresh ginger can be stored in the fridge for up to three weeks if it is left unpeeled. Whenever possible, choose fresh ginger over dried since it is superior in flavour and contains higher levels of the active component gingerol. The root should be fresh looking, firm, smooth and free of mould with no signs of decay or wrinkled skin. If choosing dry ginger, keep it in a tightly sealed container in a cool, dark dry place for no more than six months.
You can find out more about ginger and it's health benefits here

Need help converting measurements cups to grams etc. or oven temperatures then have a look here

I hope you may enjoy a slice of ginger loaf soon ... don't forget to enjoy it with a cuppa … w
ill you prefer coffee or tea?


You will find a variety of articles/recipe ideas, within this blog. It is important to note, not all may be suitable for you. If you may have any food allergies, or underlying health issues these must always be taken into account. If you are a diabetic and not sure how certain foods may affect your blood sugars, test is best, i.e. use your meter.

All the best Jan

36 comments:

Tom said...

...I can almost smell it!

Valerie-Jael said...

Thanks, I'll take mine with coffee sounds sooooooooooooooooo yummy! Valerie

Laura. M said...

Para hacer buenas tostadas.
Un abrazo.

The Happy Whisk said...

Happy Autumn, Jan!!!!

Love to use ginger in my bakes. So so good. Yum.

JFM said...

Look delicious...I will bring the coffee :)

Sandi said...

I am going to try this!

Elephant's Child said...

I add ginger to savoury dishes but rarely to sweet treats. However my partner would really like this one, and I may make it for him. Thank you.

Jeanie said...

I'm ginger's biggest fan! This one sounds to die for!

happyone said...

That is different and sure looks wonderful.

Evi Erlinda said...

Yummy ginger loaf! My ice tea is ready :)

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...


This has made me very hungry. Yum!

Christine said...

This looks so good.

Lee said...

I love anything with ginger in it!

I'll be making a carrot-pineapple-ginger cake shortly. I might just have to make two when I do...one for me, as well!!

My name is Erika. said...

This sounds the perfect afternoon snack for a cool fall day.

Lorrie said...

I can just imagine how wonderful this would smell as it bakes!

CJ Kennedy said...

Mmmm. I love ginger. That loaf looks gorgeous!

Jeff said...

A delicious looking loaf to enjoy with coffee!

peppylady (Dora) said...

Love ginger.
Coffee is on

Nas said...

This looked so yummy that I just messaged my daughter to buy a loaf!

mamasmercantile said...

Yum, a perfect recipe for this time of year.

Natalia said...

Oh yum, it is perfect for Fall, looks so good! I think I will bake it for my son in the future,cos I like him to eat more alternatives to regular flour☺

beautyshapes3 said...

Great post, enjoyed reading it! :)
Hope we can follow each other, if you're interested let me know by leaving a comment on my last post --> http://beautyshapes3.blogspot.com/2019/08/cooking-with-me-3-mini-chessecake.html

Victor S E Moubarak said...

Sounds tasty. I love ginger.

God bless.

Pam said...

Oh my...that sounds amazing and looks yummy. I love ginger, used to make me a ginger tea to drink but I don't normally do hot tea unless its winter. Isn't that funny, I will do hot coffee all yr. haha

Sandi said...

I made it!

Surprisingly fluffy. Crust is yummy and lightly crunchy. It is delicious.

I did not have fresh ginger. I think that would have given it a special zing. I will make it again once I get some.

Sami said...

Now you've made me "hungry for cake", lol.
I might have to bake this one on the weekend :)

Chris Lally said...

Love the comfort food the change of seasons offers! Thanks, Jan!

NatureFootstep said...

sounds delicious alraight. I will save it. :)

J C said...

All your recipes always look so good. I wish you could come and cook for me! :)

sandy said...

I love ginger bread. When we go to the Loso Angeles County Fair they use to have the Gingerbread House where they sold lots of ginger goodies. Last few times we haven't seen it. (sigh)...saving off this receipe.

Mary Kirkland said...

That looks so good.

Lowcarb team member said...

Sandi said...
I made it!

Surprisingly fluffy. Crust is yummy and lightly crunchy. It is delicious.

I did not have fresh ginger. I think that would have given it a special zing. I will make it again once I get some.

Hello Sandi
Many thanks for your comments and follow up on this post.
I am so pleased that you enjoyed this recipe suggestion.

Although dried ginger is great and very useful to have in the cupboard, fresh ginger does have a better flavour. I am sure once you make this again with fresh ginger it will give an extra zing! If I lived nearby I would love to come over and sample a slice! LOL!

Many thanks for your feedback, it is appreciated.

All the best Jan

William Kendall said...

I'd give it a try.

kitty@ Kitty's Kozy Kitchen said...

I would love this with a cup of tea!!

Snowbird said...

Oh my!xxx

Magic Love Crow said...

My mom says thanks for this one Jan! Big Hugs!