Total Pageviews

Wednesday 12 May 2021

Ginger Loaf, enjoy a slice with butter : Low Carb Recipe, so delicious


I know many who like ginger it's such a wonderful warm flavour. So today I'm sharing this Ginger Loaf recipe, by Julia McPhee. She uses a combination of fresh and powdered ginger, you may wish to give it a try. This loaf is great served with butter.

Ingredients
1 1/2 cups Almond meal
½ tsp Baking powder
¼ tsp Baking soda
2 tbsp. Dried ginger (I like a 'gingery' loaf but you may want to reduce this to 1 tbsp. for a milder flavour)
1 tbsp. Ginger (fresh grated)
1 tsp Mixed spice
¼ cup Walnuts, chopped (optional)
100g melted butter or ½ cup mild olive oil
4 Eggs
1 tbsp. vanilla essence
1 tbsp. Natvia (sweetener of your choice)

Instructions
Mix all dry ingredients.
Add beaten eggs, vanilla, oil.
Mix well and pour into a loaf tin.
Bake at 175º C, 350º F, Gas Mark 4 for around 30 minutes until loaf is firm and browned on top.

Nutrition Information
Serves: 10
Serving size: 1
Calories: 217
Fat: 20.7g
Saturated fat: 6.4g
Carbohydrates: 1.4g
Protein: 6.0g

Recipe Notes and Tips
Fresh ginger can be purchased in most supermarkets. Mature ginger has a tough skin that requires peeling. Fresh ginger can be stored in the fridge for up to three weeks if it is left unpeeled. Whenever possible, choose fresh ginger over dried since it is superior in flavour and contains higher levels of the active component gingerol. The root should be fresh looking, firm, smooth and free of mould with no signs of decay or wrinkled skin. If choosing dry ginger, keep it in a tightly sealed container in a cool, dark dry place for no more than six months.
You can find out more about ginger and it's health benefits here

Almond Meal/Low Carb Flours; if you are just starting a low carb diet/lifestyle you may feel confused with which low carb flours to use. You may never have used any of them before and how to use them properly can be daunting. Low carb flours do not behave like wheat flour.

For example, Ground Almonds/Almond Meal... it is made slightly different than almond flour. Instead of blanching the almonds to remove the skins, the skins on the almonds are kept on. It’s a little bit coarser than almond flour and still bakes the same. For baked goods, perhaps use a super fine ground almond flour but equally almond meal can perform just as well in most recipes, at a reduced cost.

Almond meal may also be known as ground almonds. You can grind almonds using a blender to make your own almond meal, the power of your blender will dictate how fine your almond meal will become.

A serving (1/4 cup or 28 grams) of the almond meal has the same nutrition of almond flour of nearly 160 calories, 6 grams of carbs and 3 grams of fibre. Only 6 total carbs or 3 net carbs per serving.

You can learn more about low carb flours from Libby at 'Ditch The Carbs' site, she has a very good guide, which you can read here

Help needed converting measurements cups to grams/or oven temperatures etc. then have a look here

I hope you may enjoy a slice of ginger loaf soon, and don't forget to enjoy it with a cuppa … will you prefer coffee or tea?



You will find a variety of articles/recipe ideas, within this blog. It is important to note, not all may be suitable for you. If you may have any food allergies, or underlying health issues these must always be taken into account. If you are a diabetic and not sure how certain foods may affect your blood sugars, test is best, i.e. use your meter.

All the best Jan

41 comments:

This N That said...

Yum.... warm with ice cream sounds good too

Martha said...

I can only imagine how delicious this is!

Tom said...

...looks yummy!

J.P. Alexander said...

Gracias por la receta adoro hacer pan. Te mando un beso

Kay said...

Oh yes! That does sound very wonderful and tasty. I love ginger.

Lee said...

I love ginger...ginger in anything! This looks delicious! :)

Diane said...

Wonderful recipe Jan, thanks for sharing it.

Hugs diane

William Kendall said...

I find that ginger is something I tend not to favour.

Angie said...

Jan - I love ginger, so this is definitely one I am going to try!

peppylady (Dora) said...

I would like to try fresh ginger in bread.
Coffee is on and stay safe

Pat @ Mille Fiori Favoriti said...

I love ginger! This sounds like a delicious recipe to try once I finish the cake my daughter made for me for Mother's Day. I pinned it--thanks!

Elephant's Child said...

I like ginger in savoury dishes, but not nearly as much in sweet ones.

Phil Slade said...

I do love parkin but I'm not sure if that is the same as ginger cake. Once again, I don't think our supermarkets "up North" necessarily have ingredients you mention. Maybe we shoppers need to try harder? Thanks for the recipe though.

Jo said...

I love ginger loaf. We have Parkin here in Yorkshire, particularly around Bonfire Night, which is very similar.

Juvenal Nunes said...

Uma publicação útil, considerando os conselhos que transmite nos cuidados e preservação da saúde das pessoas.
Abraço amigo.
Juvenal Nunes

Mrs.B said...

This sounds a lovely recipe and as I love ginger, I'll give it a try. Thanks for sharing.
Avril xx

eileeninmd said...

Hello,

The ginger loaf sounds delicious, a great recipe.
Thanks for sharing! Take care, have a happy day!

Margaret D said...

That looks delicious and lovely.

Francisco Manuel Carrajola Oliveira said...

Deve de ser muito bom este pão.
Um abraço e continuação de uma boa semana.

Andarilhar
Dedais de Francisco e Idalisa
Livros-Autografados

Christine said...

Looks delicious.

CJ Kennedy said...

Oooh, this would make a great breakfast!

Jeff said...

I love ginger. I will have to try almond meal and flour.

DVArtist said...

Ooohhh this is my kind of recipe. In fact I am going to make this today. Thank you for the recipe. Have a great day.

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

I always buy fresh ginger, but I have kept it longer than three weeks unpeeled. It doesn't diminish the flavor, either. This recipe sounds great.

R's Rue said...

Yum

Sue said...

Ooh I love ginger, I quite often make ginger cake for my son. This sounds delicious warm, and with a cup of coffee for me. Take care and have a great week, Sue xx

Lorrie said...

The combination of fresh and dried ginger sounds delicious. I like ginger cakes and cookies with a zing to them!

Bob Bushell said...

Pure Ginger loaf, what a winner.

Mary Kirkland said...

Oh that sounds so good.

My name is Erika. said...

Sounds delicious. There's nothing better than a quick bread loaf. Thanks for sharing.

Snowbird said...

I just love all things ginger. This looks delicious.xxx

happyone said...

I'm sure I'd like that. Looks delicious.

sandy said...

Looks delicious.

Rose said...

I bet we would like this...

Caroline said...

Hi Jan, thank you for visiting my blog. It's looking delicious. Greetings Caroline

carol l mckenna said...

Oh bet this is yummy ~ thanks for recipe and photo ~ Xo

Living moment by moment,

A ShutterBug Explores,
aka (A Creative Harbor)

Martha said...

Oh my goodness, this looks really delicious!

Teresa said...

Nunca he comido pan con jengibre. Besos.

aussie aNNie said...

Not a ginger fan but this sounds delish. x

Magic Love Crow said...

Thanks Jan! My mom says thanks too! She loves this one! Big Hugs!

Jeanie said...

I adore ginger anything so this recipe is perfect for me. Thanks, Jan! (And for your visits, too!)