Total Pageviews

Wednesday 18 October 2023

Not Everyone Loves Avocados !

We love avocados in our house, but not everyone does.


We certainly consider avocados one of our top five favourite low-carb, high-fat foods. They are packed with healthy fat, fibre, and micronutrients. However, even though avocados have so many benefits, they are not for everyone! If you are a person that cannot stand them, then ideally you need to find substitutions that contain similar amounts of healthy fats without the carbs.

Today, I share seven foods that have similar nutrient profiles to avocado to help you keep your low-carb diet/menu plans on track!

The Nutrient Break Down of an Avocado
Avocados are high in fat and fibre with a small amount of protein. For example, one half of an avocado has about 160 calories and 15 grams of fat. It also contains 9 grams of carbs and seven grams of fibre. The high fibre content of avocado makes it an excellent food for hunger control and your overall health.

How to Find Avocado Substitutes
You may be wondering why I am sharing the nutrient breakdown of an avocado when this is the food we are trying to substitute. The reason is that when you are looking for a suitable substitute for a portion of food, you want to match its nutrient breakdown as closely as possible. With that said, here are seven healthy foods you can use as an avocado substitute.

Avocado Substitutes
Raw Nuts
Raw Seeds
Nut Butters
Olives
Eggs
Soft Cheese
Pesto

The Bottom Line
To conclude, the seven foods that you can swap with avocados are raw nuts, raw seeds, nut butter, stuffed olives, eggs, soft cheeses, and pesto.
The above taken, with much more to read, from an article by Dr. Becky Gillaspy, DC here

Related Post
Reasons To Love Avocados? Well Here Are Twenty! read more here

Dear reader, please be aware that you will find a variety of articles and recipe ideas/suggestions within this blog, but not all may be suitable for you. If you may have any food allergies, or underlying health issues these must always be taken into account. If you are a diabetic and not sure how certain foods may affect your blood sugars, test is best, i.e. use your meter. If you have any concerns about your health it is always advisable to consult your Doctor or health care team.

All the best Jan

24 comments:

roentare said...

I have been having daily avocado since your last post about it.

My name is Erika. said...

I love avocados, but not the hubby. Thanks for this interesting read. I'm glad their so good for me! (and everyone else too.)

J.P. Alexander said...

A mi también me gusta los aguacates. Te mando un beso.

Catarina said...

I love avocados!!

Angie's Recipes said...

I enjoy them once a while, but not crazy about them.

Elephant's Child said...

I really like them - but I also like their substitutes.

Margaret D said...

They are ok but not very tasty in my book.

Rustic Pumpkin said...

I love avocados and could happily eat them everyday. However. the most difficult part of eating avocados is finding ones that are perfectly ripe and don't rot in your fridge.

Salty Pumpkin Studio said...

Avocadoes, I have the worse luck picking one out that hasn't gone bad.

Valerie-Jael said...

I LOVE avocados. Have a nice day, Valerie

eileeninmd said...

Hello,
I like avocados, I just do not have them often.
The list of substitutes looks good too.

Take care, have a great day!

Tom said...

...I'm not a fan.

John's Island said...

Hello Jan! Happy Wednesday to you and Eddie. I absolutely love avocados. My challenge with them is how to select one at the grocery that is at a perfect stage of ripening. The results I’ve had when trying to find one with just a very slight amount of softness has been hit and miss. I was usually trying to find one that was read to eat on the day I purchased it. My more recent practice has been to buy them at the store when they are really hard and watch them at home for that perfect amount of softness. How does this compare to your experience? Thanks for sharing this post and have a great day. John

Divers and Sundry said...

I like them and try to keep one around all the time. They make a great side item (1/4 avocado) to go with cottage cheese and other fruit and nuts for lunches.

Francisco Manuel Carrajola Oliveira said...

Gosto de abacate nas saladas.
Um abraço e continuação de uma boa semana.

Andarilhar
Dedais de Francisco e Idalisa
Livros-Autografados

happyone said...

I'm one of those who don't like them.

Laura. M said...

No lo consumo, prefiero otros sustitutos. Gracias
Un abrazo.

Lowcarb team member said...

Hello everyone, just popping in to comment here.

Firstly thank you to all for taking the time to comment on this post ... and others.

Secondly, I think like me many of you experience problems when getting a perfectly ripe avocado. When shopping for an avocado at the supermarket/local grocery store, I look for one that yields to gentle pressure and is dark green in colour. A ready-to-eat avocado will range from very dark green to dark brown to eggplant/aubergine purple, and the skin will be a very bumpy texture. It will yield to gentle pressure, but shouldn't feel mushy or leave any indentations. If you find an avocado with these indicators, buy it and best to eat it on the same day!

Note - if you gently squeeze an avocado in the palm of your hand and it retains a large indentation where you pressed, the fruit is overripe and likely spoiled.

Enjoy your avocados :)

All the best Jan

Jeanie said...

It's their loss. They are wonderful!

Christine said...

Love them!

Alicia said...

Your post just reminded me that we have several ripe avocados in the fridge. I love them. Right now as I write this it's 7:02 am and I love to eat Avocado toast for breakfast...Yum!

Conniecrafter said...

I have only had them in hummus and wasn't all that impressed, but I probably should give them another try

Teresa said...

Donde más nos gustan es en ensaladas. Hoy he recogido unos cuantos, los aguacates no se maduran en el árbol, se maduran después en la casa. Besos.

William Kendall said...

Never had them.