Total Pageviews

Friday 13 October 2023

Socks and Sleep !


How to sleep: Doctors shares simple sock hack that can help you sleep better and longer

A doctor has revealed how sleeping with socks on can improve your sleep.

This follows a number of studies pointing to the sleep-inducing benefits of wearing socks in bed.

For example, research has suggested that the simple hack improves your ability to get to sleep and the quality of your slumber.

But what's behind this effect? The working theory seems somewhat counterintuitive at first glance.

According to biomedical scientist Dr Biquan Luo, the key lies in warming up your feet to lower your core temperature.

"Warming the feet can have a positive impact on sleep for many people, primarily because of its effect in promoting lower core body temperature and relaxation," she told Fox News Digital.

As the doc explains, core body temperature is instrumental in regulating the sleep-wake cycle. "As we sleep, our core temperature naturally drops as part of our circadian rhythm," she said.

"This decline starts at the beginning of sleep and reaches its lowest point during the early morning hours. Decreasing the core body temperature helps the body fall and stay asleep."

A couple of studies support Dr Luo's claim. In one study, published in the Journal of Physiological Anthropology, six young males were randomised into groups: those wearing socks to sleep and those without.

Researchers recorded several metrics, such as sleep efficiency, total sleep time, number of awakenings, wake after sleep onset and average awakening length.

A questionnaire on sleep quality was obtained after awakening in the morning.

The results showed that in the group donning socks, the time it took to get to sleep was on average 7.5 minutes shorter, total sleep time was 32 minutes longer, the number of awakenings was 7.5 times smaller, and sleep efficiency was 7.6 percent higher.

"Feet warming using bed socks during sleep in a cool environment had positive effects on sleep quality by shortened sleep onset, lengthened sleep time, and lessened awakenings during sleep but had no significant influence on core body temperature," the researchers concluded.

Another research study demonstrated that warming feet for 20 minutes before bed reduces insomnia symptoms.

Above image and words, with more to read, from article here

xxx ooo xxx

Do you sometimes wear bed-socks?
I do find that if I'm cold they do help keep you warmer, and it's easier to sleep.
Please share your thoughts and comments about this article.

Related Post
Simple Steps To A Better Night's Sleeps, see here

All the best Jan

38 comments:

Anonymous said...

I do wear socks in bed if my feet are cold

Anonymous said...

I do wear socks in bed if my feet are cold -Christine cmlk79.blogspot.com

Jenn Jilks said...

There is a good idea!

My name is Erika. said...

Funny, I cannot sleep with socks on. If I wear them when I go to bed, I wake up and have to take them off. Hmmm. It was still an interesting article. Have a great end of the week.

Tom said...

..this something that I should try.

Jeff said...

Interesting. I don't like socks, but do like my feet to be warm, which in winter can easily be done by not running around barefoot while getting ready for bed and my using an electrical blanket to pre-warm the bed (But turn it off before climbing in). I will have to think about trying this.

Elephant's Child said...

Interesting. My feet often overheat and I stick them out of the bed to cool them down. I would be reluctant to try this but since I sleep badly perhaps I should.

Kim said...

Interesting. Sometimes I wear socks and sometimes I don't. I know I can't sleep with cold feet!

J.P. Alexander said...

Gracias por el consejo. Pero yo no puedo me incomoda. Te mando un beso.

Jeanie said...

I heard this a long time ago. I don't usually wear socks to bed but several nights here at the lake this time I did - and was glad for it, even though I kicked them up sometime in the middle!

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

I wear socks to bed whether it's summer or winter. Never knew why. Guess I thought my feet felt naked otherwise. Now I have a scientific excuse for wearing them year round. Thanks, Jan.

Salty Pumpkin Studio said...

Wearing socks to bed is super comfortable. The problem is that if you wake up, you push them off.

Margaret D said...

That is interesting, socks keep the feet warm.

John's Island said...

Who knew? 😊 I have sometimes worn socks in bed in the winter, but didn’t really pay attention to whether or not I slept better … I was simply looking to sleep with warmer feet. 😊 I definitely appreciate the post and will be experimenting with socks! Thanks Jan and have a great weekend ahead! John

Breathtaking said...

Hello Jan :=)
I do wear warm bed socks in winter as I have poor circulation, and my feet are often cold.
Have a good day.
Sonjia.

roentare said...

I will try sleeping with socks on

Rosemary said...

Interesting article Jan - socks worn here - I am going to treat myself to a couple of pairs of cashmere socks now having read your post.

eileeninmd said...

Interesting post. I do wear socks to bed, I do not like my feet cold.
Have a great day and a wonderful weekend!

Anne C said...

I absolutely can't sleep in socks. I need to feel the sheets against my feet when I move or my brain registers that something isn't right. My feet also tend to feel warm in the night and using a cooling lotion on them helps, which seems to run counter to the study. The researchers would have thrown me out for skewing their data for sure if I'd been one of their test subjects!

gluten Free A_Z Blog said...

Such interesting information. My husband wears socks and a hat to bed. He is always feeling cold when he sleeps.

Lucinalva said...

Bom dia
Postagem interessante, nunca usei meias para dormir, um forte abraço.

Bill said...

I've been sleeping with socks on for years keeps my feet nice and toasty.

Valerie-Jael said...

I don't like wearing socks in bed! Hugs, Valerie

happyone said...

How interesting. I've never worn socks to bed. I'm going to start and see if it makes a difference.

Pom Pom said...

Interesting! I like wearing socks to bed but I thought they made me too hot. Now I will say to myself, "They are actually cooling your core." Thank you!

peppylady (Dora) said...

I heard about the socks on news.

Norma2 said...

Jan, in winter I sleep in socks. With cold feet I can't fall asleep.

aussie aNNie said...

Oh yes indeed I wear socks in winter and a light pair in summer, due to arthritic toes in my right foot from a nasty fall, it helps and keeps my toes from curing under xx

Iris Flavia said...

I do wear socks in the cold half, of course! I freeze like crazy but around say... 3am I get so warm I have to take them off!

Divers and Sundry said...

I find socks constricting and just can't sleep in them. If I do I find myself waking up trying to kick them off lol

Lorrie said...

What an interesting idea. My feet often get hot at night and I put them out into the cold to cool them off. Socks would be just too warm for me. I might mention this to my husband, though, who complains of cold feet more often than he used to.

Mrs.B said...

I think this is something I should try as I struggle to get off to sleep if my feet are cold.
Avril xx

kitty@ Kitty's Kozy Kitchen said...

Yes, I do wear socks in the winter, but often have to take them off when my feet get too warm.

Phil Slade said...

That is so interesting, especially for me who suffers sometimes from cold feet. I am definitely going to try this now. I have some nice brand new bamboo socks that I will experiment with .

Crafty Green Poet said...

I wear bed socks when it's cold but not otherwise. But this article prompts me to try wearing them even when it's not particularly cold.... Interesting

Conniecrafter said...

Yes I do wear socks a lot in the winter time because we usually turn down our heat at night and my feet still get cold under the covers.

Teresa said...

Nunca uso calcetines para dormir, pero mi hermana sí. Muy interesante el reportaje. Besos.

William Kendall said...

I'll try that. Never have been one for socks in bed.