Total Pageviews

Friday 12 January 2024

Friday comes around again ... Some thoughts and a Provençal Chicken Recipe

Yes, Friday comes around again, and before we know it we'll be half way through the first month of 2024. The days seem to go by so quickly, and I still haven't decided is that a good thing or not? Good or bad I think the best thing is to enjoy each and every day.

Do you buy flowers? Sometimes I do and sometimes they are bought for me. I have seen some early bunches of daffodils in our local shops and tulips too - perhaps a sign that Spring is just around the corner (wouldn't that be nice) but we still have a few more months to go.

Blog friends around the world have been sharing details of their weather. Some have had very hot weather, others too much snow. Here in the UK we've recently experienced Storm Henk, and many have experienced power outages, travel disruption and flooding. We are now being advised that "a wintry snowstorm is expected to strike the UK from the weekend before snow covers much of the country next week, with the UK Health Security Agency (UKHSA) having put a cold-health alert in force" more details here

As if that isn't enough their is the inevitable winter coughs, colds and sneezes that do seem to be around, including Covid! If you are unwell at the moment, I send get well soon wishes.

Anyway, back to Friday, we quite often enjoy a fish dish on a Friday but today I think will be different! Yes, I'm thinking it may well be Provençal Chicken, it really is a tasty dish … she says with a big smile!

There are quite a few 'Provençal Chicken' recipe ideas around and you may indeed have your own particular favourite. Recipes to me are to be shared, enjoyed, sometimes amended to suit your particular likes and needs.

Now, how about the aroma of some great ingredients wafting whilst this tasty dish is bubbling in the pan! Then you can enjoy the taste of France at your table!


Ingredients
Serves Four
1 tbsp. oil
100 g lean smoked bacon medallions, roughly chopped
1 red onion, cut into wedges
1 courgette (zucchini), halved and cut into chunks
1 aubergine (eggplant), cut into small pieces
4 tomatoes, cut into large wedges
3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
1 red chilli, chopped
500 g carton passata
half a chicken stock cube, crumbled
460 g chicken thigh fillets
14g of fresh flat leaf parsley, washed and roughly chopped
2 tsp mixed herbs

Method
1. Preheat the oven to 200°C, 180°C fan, gas 6. In a large oven proof pan, heat the oil and cook the bacon for 5 minutes until crispy. Remove and reserve for later.
2. Add the onion, courgette (zucchini), and aubergine (eggplant) to the pan and fry for 5 minutes. Then add the tomatoes, garlic, chilli, passata, 50ml water and chicken stock cube. Bring to boil, then reduce the heat and simmer for another 5 minutes.
3. Add the chicken thigh fillets, half of the parsley, reserved bacon and mixed herbs. Stir to coat the chicken in sauce and cook for 30 minutes in the oven. Remove from the oven and serve straight away garnished with the remaining parsley and seasoned with freshly ground black pepper.

Make it veggie
Leave out the bacon and chicken, and replace the chicken stock cube with a vegetable stock cube. Cook the vegetables and serve with a nut roast.

Original recipe can be seen here
Bon Appetit.

You will find a variety of articles and recipe ideas within this blog and it is important to note, not all may be suitable for you. If you may have any food allergies, or underlying health issues these must always be taken into account. If you are a diabetic and not sure how certain foods may affect your blood sugars, test is best, i.e. use your meter. If you have any concerns about your health, it is always advisable to consult your doctor or health care team.

All the best Jan

32 comments:

Tom said...

...this looks great!

Inger said...

My eye caught the lemon souffle and I must go back and copy the recipe. There's just something so lovely about lemons in its many various forms, lemon cake, for example.

Mari said...

Oooh - that looks really good! I'm saving it.
Here we are supposed to have a Bomb Cyclone Winter Storm tomorrow. The barometric pressure drops rapidly, causing high winds. A Blizzard is predicted with 16 inches of snow by Saturday evening. I'm so thankful I can work from home!

Lorrie said...

The Provencal Chicken looks very appetizing. Here we are feeling the effects of the polar vortex with temperatures going down to -10 C tonight. We may set a record. There's a very very tiny bit of snow falling just now.

Christine said...

Looks good

J.P. Alexander said...

Gracias por la receta. cuidate del frio.

Elephant's Child said...

Stay warm and safe dear friends,

Angie's Recipes said...

That looks mouthwatering!

Margaret D said...

Nice recipe...no I don't buy flowers, flowers from the garden I use when in bloom.

Rustic Pumpkin said...

I wish time would slow down. Since my diagnosis everything takes twice as long to do.
I still wear my mask and will continue to do so. I also try to observe social distancing and get panicky if there are too many people about especially the ones who just cough without covering their mouths!

jabblog said...

That's a tasty, hearty dish, just right for a chilly January evening.

Cherie said...

That looks perfect for me to cook in the summer when I can pick all my own vegetables fresh from the garden

eileeninmd said...

I would like the dish with chicken or just veggie sounds nice.
The Fridays are rolling around pretty quickly.
Take care, have a great day!

David M. Gascoigne, said...

Looks quite wonderful. Let me know when you next make it and I will come to your house. I’ll bring wine!

Valerie-Jael said...

Yummy! Valerie

Phil Slade said...

It's peculiar that the common cold and flu disappeared during the "covid" scamdemic. We are keeping clear of colds and flu thank to eating properly plus an occasional vitamin C and zinc pill. Not sure if you have a Booths near you but look out for their 3 chickens for £12 deal. Quality fat chickens for a casserole or other chicken pot roasts. Must go -making pea soup for the weekend snow!

Donna said...

Something to help warm the bones in this cold time of year!
hugs
Donna

Salty Pumpkin Studio said...

Oh my! Does that look good!
A recipe for sure to try.

John's Island said...

Hello Jan, I just love your opening paragraph … “Yes, Friday comes around again, and before we know it we'll be half way through the first month of 2024. The days seem to go by so quickly, and I still haven't decided is that a good thing or not? Good or bad I think the best thing is to enjoy each and every day.” I think I will print that out, all by itself, on a little slip of paper and tape it to my mirror where I will be reminded of it every day. Your Provençal Chicken recipe does sound delicious. I will add it to my stack of “Jan’s Recommendations.” 😊 Best wishes to you and Eddie ... take care and stay warm. John

Divers and Sundry said...

I sometimes buy flowers when nothing's in bloom outside.

I have trouble using eggplant. It's so hard for me to cut!

Norma2 said...

Jan, around here the Provençal sauce is prepared with finely chopped parsley and garlic, oil and salt. It is a very tasty condiment for many preparations. Coincidentally, today I made a post on the subject of garlic.

DVArtist said...

Love this recipe. Think I will make it with tofu. Have a great day today.

Jenn Jilks said...

Nice one!

https://linsartyblobs.blogspot.com said...

mmm tasty

Carla from The River said...

We are going to be COLD!! COLD!!! COLD!!! Our high temp will be ZERO degrees F this Sunday.

And I agree, Friday again... so fast... yep, just when I get use to writing 2024 it will be 2025!
Ha ha, Carla

DeniseinVA said...

I think we are in for some snow soon. Thank you for another great post and delicious recipe. Stay warm and all the best :)

Rajani Rehana said...

Great blog

Jeanie said...

I need to look up what passata is -- this recipe sounds excellent and terrific for a wintry night. I hope you are safe in the storm -- enough snow to be pretty and not so much as to be dangerous. Stay safe, my friend.

carol l mckenna said...

Lovely and delicious looking recipe for the cold weather ~ thanks,

Wishing you good health, laughter and love in your days,
A ShutterBug Explores,
aka (A Creative Harbor)

Conniecrafter said...

Yes we are not sure what is going around here but my hubby has caught it bad, hoping I don't get it. We also have below 0 freezing temperatures, glad we don't have to get out in it.
The chicken looks great!

Teresa said...

Espero que todo vaya bien por ahí. La receta se ve genial. Besos.

Back2OurSmallCorner said...

I am closing my eyes and virtually enjoying the smell of this lovely dish cooking. Such a great meal.