Total Pageviews

Monday 15 January 2024

Health Benefits of a Lower Carb Diet

Health benefits of a low carb diet
Why would you consider eating fewer carbs? There are many potential benefits, proven by science and supported by clinical experience, like these:-

Lose weight
Most people start eating fewer carbs to lose weight. Studies have shown that low carb diets are at least as effective — if not more effective — than other diets.

Low carb makes it easier to lose weight without hunger and without having to count calories. According to recent studies, a low carb diet can even result in burning more calories than other diets.

Reverse type 2 diabetes
Low carb diets can help reduce or even normalize blood sugar and thus potentially reverse type 2 diabetes. As the American Diabetes Association notes, carbohydrate reduction of any level is likely an effective tool for blood sugar control.

Low carb can also be helpful in managing type 1 diabetes.

A grateful gut
Low carb might help settle a grumpy gut, often reducing symptoms of irritable bowel syndrome such as bloating, gas, diarrhoea, cramps, and pain. Indigestion, reflux and other digestive issues can sometimes improve, too.

For some, this is the best part of going low carb and happens usually within the first few days, or first week, of starting the diet.

Reduce sugar cravings
Are you struggling to stay away from sweet foods, even though you try to eat them in “moderation?” Many people do. A low carb diet can often reduce and sometimes even eliminate cravings for sweets.

Bonus benefits
Weight loss, lower blood sugar, improved mental clarity, and a calmer digestive system are the most frequently cited benefits of low carb eating. But some people experience even more improvements, some of which can be life-changing:-
Lower blood pressure and other improvements in risk factors for heart disease,
Less acne and better skin, 
Fewer migraines,
Improved mental health symptoms,
Better fertility, and more...

Words above taken from Diet Doctor site.
You can read more, with all related links, here

Related Posts
How Low Carb Can Help, plus a favourite low carb recipe - see it here
Introduction to low-carb for beginners - see it here


Please note
Articles / studies within this blog are provided for general information only, and should not be treated as a substitute for the medical advice of your own doctor or any other health care professional. If you have any concerns about your general health, including medication, you should contact your Doctor/local health care provider.

All the best Jan

26 comments:

Elephant's Child said...

Lots and lots of benefits - and relatively easily achieved too.

My name is Erika. said...

I've been trying hard to keep my carb levels low, but it's too bad bread has some kind of carbs. Smile. Happy new week.

Tom said...

..crabs are additive.

Anonymous said...

Very good advice -Christine cmlk79.blogspot.com

J.P. Alexander said...

Gracias por los consejos. Te mando un beso.

Angie's Recipes said...

I keep my carbs under 20, but usually just 5. Low carb is great, nocarb is even better :-))

Margaret D said...

It's got a lot going for it then Jan.

roentare said...

Ever since I have a keto diet, my life turns around

Linda said...

I need improvement in all those areas.

jabblog said...

Advertising has a lot to answer for, seducing us away from sensible eating habits.

eileeninmd said...

Great advice and information.
I try to stick to healthy foods.
Take care, have a great week!

Rustic Pumpkin said...

To my detriment, carbs are my soul mate. I must cut back, but my love affair with carbs began when I used to run and go to the gym daily.

Rain said...

Very good advice. I've reduced my carb intake a lot in the last few months (with the exception of pizza night!!)

Salty Pumpkin Studio said...

I'm still upset after learning that sweet potatoes are carbs. It is a good carb, but just the word carb makes me sad.

ashok said...

Very useful post

Valerie-Jael said...

Good post, as always. Have a great week, Valerie

Linda said...

Some people with digestive problems say that going low-carb was the only thing that helped them.

Jeanie said...

I"ve been relatively low carb for several months now. Not no-carb. But lower than before, with limited sugars (except for falling off during the holidays when there were too many cookies around!) I can attest to all of these good reasons!

R's Rue said...

True

Hena Tayeb said...

Great tips and wonderful info.

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

We try to do low-carb as no carb would be too much of a stretch for both of us. We do enjoy small servings of brown and wild rice with some meals.

TheAwakenedSoul said...

I definitely feel better when I eat less carbs. I am upping the salads to three per day. I just had one small scone with cherry jam and whipped cream. Less is more...

David M. Gascoigne, said...

Probably, as diets go, an easy one to follow. In fact it’s not really a diet at all, it’s just healthy eating.

Divers and Sundry said...

I went low carb for a while, but I do love carbs so! I should cut back again, though...

Teresa said...

Siempre interesantes tus reportajes. Besos.

Conniecrafter said...

I know I need to work on less this year!