Total Pageviews

Monday 4 March 2024

Cream of Fiddleheads Soup!

Before I start this post, Eddie and I just want to say thank you to all our readers who visit this blog, and a special thank you for all who take time to leave a comment ... you are all appreciated 😊 

Now, on we go with today's post.

Well, I've heard the term 'fiddlesticks' but 'fiddleheads' was a new one for me!

The article I was reading (see link below) said the "early spring means fiddleheads. These are the ostrich fern’s young fronds. If you can’t find fiddleheads, try this soup with sliced fresh asparagus, but we urge you to try to hunt down these delightful tender plants of spring if you can.

Learn more
Fiddleheads are the tender, tightly furled fronts of the Ostrich fern and they are named for resembling the ornamental ends of fiddles and other stringed instruments.

You can harvest fiddleheads for free if you know where to find them. These edible ferns grow prolifically in wild and wet areas near water throughout New England and eastern parts of Canada.

Also, you can often find fiddleheads at local farmers’ markets and health food stores, but this short-lived delicacy can be pricey.

Very Important Note
The ostrich fern’s young shoots look like a number of other young ferns, many of which are inedible or even poisonous. ONLY consume foraged fiddleheads if you can CONFIRM that they are indeed those of the ostrich fern!


Ingredients
makes six servings
1-1/2 cups fiddleheads, cleaned and finely chopped
2 tablespoons butter
2 cubes chicken bouillon or 2 teaspoons chicken bouillon granules
1 small onion, minced
1 clove garlic, minced
2 cups milk
2 cups heavy (double) cream
salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste

Instructions
1. Steam the fiddleheads for 10 to 12 minutes or until tender. Set aside.
2. In a saucepan, melt the butter and bouillon cubes over medium heat. Add the fiddleheads, onions, and garlic, and cook for 10 minutes.
3. Add the milk, stir frequently, and heat thoroughly. Add the cream, stir to incorporate, and season with salt and pepper. Serve steaming hot."
From recipe details here

Need help with weight/measurement conversion see here
More about Fiddlehead Ferns here


Alternative Soup Recipes
Asparagus and Spinach Soup topped with chive crème fraîche - see here
Asparagus soup and more - see here

Although I share this recipe I haven't tried Fiddleheads Soup.
Have you tried it?
Do you forage for Fiddleheads?
Do please share your thoughts in the comments section.

You will find a variety of articles and recipe ideas within this blog, and not all may be suitable for you. If you may have any food allergies, or underlying health issues these must always be taken into account. If you are a diabetic and not sure how certain foods may affect your blood sugars, test is best, i.e. use your meter. If you have any concerns about your health, it is always advisable to consult your doctor or health care team.

All the best Jan

30 comments:

Christine said...

Looks good have never used fiddleheads

My name is Erika. said...

I do know what fiddleheads are, since I can actually find them in the market when they are in season. This soup sounds good, and I think I should try it. Thank you for the recipe.

Catarina said...

I have seen fiddleheads at the supermarket but never had the curiosity to buy some and see what they were good for.
Now I think I will buy some. : )

Sandi said...

They look good. I wonder if I could order them online.

Sandi said...

I looked online. The first site that came up had one pound for $16.99. The second site would send 3 pounds for $69.99. Yes, sixty-nine ninety-nine, but free shipping! 😂

Mari said...

I've heard these are very good, but have never tried them. It's still too cold for ferns here, but this is an interesting recipe!

Margaret D said...

How interesting is that. I will have to look up if these can be eaten in our area.

Kay said...

Believe it or not, I have heard of fiddleheads, but I don't think I've ever had them. That is so much fun!

jabblog said...

I didn't realise they came from just one species of fern. It's a good job I didn't try eating the ones I see in the forest. It is lovely to see them unfurling in the spring.

roentare said...

That looks creamy and refreshing to taste

Back2OurSmallCorner said...

Those fiddleheads look amazing just as a decoration on the soup. I'm sure the soup is delicious. I did find one company that sold them but they were out of stock. Still I can always try the alternative with asparagus as you suggest. Thank you for sharing this (unknown to me) vegetable x

eileeninmd said...

The soup looks pretty, I have never tried Fiddleheads.
Take care, enjoy your day and have a great week ahead.

Donna said...

You are welcome! I love your blog!
Never heard of them! Soup looks good though!
hugs
Donna

Rosemary said...

One good pointer when trying to recognise fiddleheads is that they do not have a smooth round stem. The stem has a deep groove running down the middle of it.

CJ Kennedy said...

The soup sounds amazing.

Tom said...

...I've heard of this, but have never had it.

Giorgio said...

It seems they are good.
I love asparagus and Spinach soup! Great post, Jan!

Chatty Crone said...

Well you gave me an education today!

Valerie-Jael said...

I've never tried this!

happyone said...

I've never eaten fiddleheads.

J.P. Alexander said...

Gracias por la reseña. No conocía esa verdura. Te mando un beso.

Debbie said...

the soup looks so "pretty"!! i have heard of fiddleheads, just as a plant, i did not know you could eat them...i guess i never thought about it really!!

Anonymous said...

Just checked here in the UK and we can get half a pound for $21.56 🤣. Bargain! Asparagus it is, then 😁

Fun60 said...

I have never heard of or seen fiddleheads before. I wander if they are available here.

baili said...

totally unfamiliar veggie to me dear Jan though dish looks appealing
blessings

Crafty Green Poet said...

I didn't realise fiddleheads were edible!

Snowbird said...

I had no idea you could eat these ferns! I wouldn't dare pick them in case they were the wrong variety. Dandelion greens are good at this time of the year too, I do pick those.xxx

Conniecrafter said...

I had never heard of them either

Teresa said...

No los conozco y tampoco había oído hablar de ellos. Besos.

William Kendall said...

I've heard of them, but never tried it