Total Pageviews

Thursday 7 March 2024

Did You Know !


Do please share in the comments - did you / do you know these five facts?

1. Crows often hold grudges against specific people.
Crows are excellent at recognizing people’s faces and are able to remember people for a long time! This can be either a negative or positive fact, depending on how nice you are to them.
While crows can tell us apart, we would find it difficult to distinguish one crow from another.

2.You get Goosebumps when you’re scared to make yourself look bigger.
If you look at a cat that’s facing off against a dog, you’ll often see its hair standing on edge. But you don’t see the Goosebumps hidden underneath their fur, which they also get when they’re scared.

Goosebumps are a reaction to increased adrenaline, which is why we get Goosebumps when cold or emotional. Although we don’t really need them now, our ancestors would have needed them when facing off against large beasts before the age of humanity began!

3. On average, men get bored of a shopping trip after 26 minutes.
Meanwhile, women don’t get tired of shopping until around 2 hours have passed! On top of this, it’s been found that eight in ten men hate shopping with their partner.

Men who are promised a treat at the end of a joint shopping trip are likelier to pretend to enjoy shopping with their partner for longer.

4. Honeybees can recognize human faces.
For a long time, we believed that only large-brained mammals could distinguish faces. But the humble honeybee shook that theory up!

Bees can distinguish between many different flowers, so it was theorized that they might tell people apart. Scientists discovered that honeybees could recognize a familiar face, even days after being trained to do so.

Fun Fact: Bees see faces in a compilation of 5,000 individual images – kind of like pixels.

5. Human blood cells have different lifespans.
Red blood cells circulate the human body for about four months. In comparison, white blood cells range from a few hours to several days.

Platelets circulate the body for about nine days. Platelets are cells that circulate our blood, and they bind together when they find damaged blood vessels.

~ ooo xxx ooo ~

I can relate to number three, and I did know number five.

~ wishing you a happy day ~

As regular readers know this blog is presented in a magazine style - we hope something for everyone. You will find a variety of articles, studies, thoughts, photographs, music and recipes. 
However, not all the recipes featured in this blog may be suitable for you. If you may have any food allergies, or underlying health issues these must always be taken into account. If you are a diabetic and not sure how certain foods may affect your blood sugars, test is best, i.e. use your meter. If you have any concerns about your health, it is always advisable to consult your doctor or health care team.

All the best Jan

30 comments:

My name is Erika. said...

I knew numbers 4 and 5. And I'm not surprised honeybees recognize faces having a honey bee hive. They do get to know you if you go into the hive frequently. But these facts are fun! Thanks for sharing.

aussie aNNie said...

I knew 1, 3, 5. Crows are similar to our magpies in Australia they either love you or hate you and will swoop with the latter

Tom said...

...I get bored in less than 26 minutes!

DMS said...

I love the fact about honeybees. How cool! I knew that about crows- I have always thought that was fascinating. :)
~Jess

Chatty Crone said...

I don't think I really knew any of those things. Man, it was very interesting though.

Christine said...

Very fun facts, I didn't know any. So interesting about the bees. -Christine cmlk79.blogspot.com

Catarina said...

1. no
2. no
3. no. it thought it was after 5 minutes.

Catarina said...

4. no
5. yes... but not specifically

Linda said...

Number 3 sounds about right. The rest I knew.

Margaret D said...

I find what's written very interesting Jan.
We have a particular bird down here not in Tasmania but up the East Coast of Australia who take a dislike to people, and even a family - we have seen this bird in action thankfully it wasn't us.

jabblog said...

I knew 1 and 2. I would disagree with 3 - I get bored with shopping after 26 minutes, too. I'd love to know what sort of treat a man would be promised!
I found 4 fascinating.

Jo said...

My husband isn't the average man, he's bored of a shopping trip before we've even set off, and to be honest, I'm the same, haha.

roentare said...

I did not know about honey bees

eileeninmd said...

Fun facts! My hubby only likes food shopping.
Take care, enjoy your day!

Caroline said...

Interesting info. Have a nice day. Greetings Caroline

Mari said...

Very interesting! I knew that crows were very smart.
My husband is bored of shopping after 10 minutes. He likes to stop, grab something and get out!

Jeanie said...

Rick gets bored before 26 minutes (unless it's a bike store!). I get bored too (unless it's an art store or a book store!) I knew that about crows but not bees. Very interesting. That's odd about wanting to be bigger when scared. I want to be smaller! (Lizzie, however, seems to double in size!)

Laura. M said...

Curiosos datos que algunos si conocía. Los hombre no están hechos para ir de compras :))
Buen jueves para Todos.
Un abrazo.

Snowbird said...

I knew about the crows. Many moons ago hubs threw apples at crows to stop them nesting on the roof, everytime he went out after that they dive-bombed him. Crows that I have released from the rescue have often flew onto my shoulder. Fascinating about the bees.xxx

Salty Pumpkin Studio said...

I knew less than I didn't know. Crows for sure. Any time they are around a store where I bought a lottery ticket, they hint I'm a loser. :)

Mrs.B said...

Interesting about the crows and I can definitely relate to no. 3, and I did know about the Goosebumps. Thanks for sharing.
Avril xx

happyone said...

I knew number 1.
I'm not a great shopper and I get bored with it pretty quick too. :)

J.P. Alexander said...

Lo de los cuervos si sabía. Les mando un beso.

DeniseinVA said...

Fascinating topics Jan, thank you for sharing them and all the best :)

roughterrain crane said...

I agree the third. Happy March with shopping.

Valerie-Jael said...

TFS, that cake looks yummy! Happy weekend, hugs, Valerie

Lorrie said...

I knew numbers 1 and 3 - crows are highly intelligent creatures. And as for shopping - it depends what we're shopping for!

Conniecrafter said...

I didn't know any of these, my hubby is great and either he is or acts well that he is interested in what I buy, I am not a big clothes or shoe shopper, mainly just for my crafts :)
It is so interesting what we are finding out about animals and what they know

carol l mckenna said...

Wonderful tidbits of info ~ hugs,

Wishing you good health, laughter and love in your days,
A ShutterBug Explores,
aka (A Creative Harbor)

Teresa said...

Todo me ha parecido muy interesante. De acuerdo con la tercera. Besos.