Total Pageviews

Sunday 1 September 2024

Welcome September 2024

Well. as regular readers will know August was not a good month for me with the sad passing of my beloved husband Eddie. As much as I often feel my world has stopped, the calendar tells another story. It doesn't seem possible that we are now saying goodbye to August and hello to September. Yes, the ninth month of the year is here!


If you live in the northern hemisphere September brings the last days of summer and the first days of Autumn.

"September, in Old England, was called Haervest-monath (Harvest Month). This is the time to gather up the rest of the harvest and prepare for the winter months.

There are flowers enough in the summertime,
More flowers than I can remember—
But none with the purple, gold, and red
That dye the flowers of September!
Mary Howitt (1799-1888)

September’s name comes from the Latin word septem, meaning "seven" This month had originally been the seventh month of the early Roman calendar. It wasn’t until 451 BC that the months of January and February were added to the calendar, making September the ninth month.

The Romans often associated different months with different gods. September is associated with Vulcan, the Roman god of fire.

September’s zodiac signs are Virgo (Aug. 23–Sept. 22) and Libra (Sept. 23–Oct. 22). Virgos are said to be analytical and hardworking people, while still being kind and loyal. Libras, on the other hand, value harmony and diplomacy, and are said to be both intelligent and kind.

September’s birth flowers are the aster and the morning glory. The significance of both flowers is actually very similar, with the aster being said to represent love, while the morning glory represents affection.

The September birthstone is the sapphire, which was once thought to guard against evil and poisoning. The sapphire, along with the related ruby, are the second-hardest natural gemstones, with only the diamond being harder.

September is National Happy Cat Month, and I know we have a lot of cat lovers who read this blog 😺

September 5th is National Cheese Pizza Day, Have a Pizza Night, the Low Carb Way - more details here


September 19th is International Talk Like a Pirate Day

September 21st is recognized as the annual International Day of Peace."

There are so many interesting things about September, I've only included some - you may know of others!

~ Wishing you a happy September 2024 ~

Dear reader, you will find a variety of articles, studies etc. plus recent news/views and recipe ideas within this blog, hopefully something for everyone to read and enjoy ... but please note, not all may be suitable for you. If you may have any food allergies, or underlying health issues these must always be taken into account. If you are a diabetic and not sure how certain foods may affect your blood sugars, test is best, i.e. use your meter. If you have any concerns about your health, it is always advisable to consult your doctor or health care team.

All the best Jan

45 comments:

CherryPie said...

I am hoping that September will bring us an Indian Summer. This year I have missed the opportunity to dine outside in the warm air.

Jeanie said...

I'll have to tell Lizzie it's happy cat month -- though I suspect she'll be anything but that when we put her in her carrier for the road trip home!

Linda said...

Lovely graphic! I look forward to the cool days, but I don’t feel like I had a real summer. It went so fast!

J.P. Alexander said...

Te un lindo mes. Te mando un beso y gracias por la receta.

Tom said...

...Jan, I wish you a Specular September.

Victor S E Moubarak said...

I agree with the pizza bit of your Blog. Just simple mozzarella cheese and tomato. No fuss with other ingredients.

God bless.

Linda said...

September 11 is my birthday and 27th is birthday of my youngest.

Elephant's Child said...

How I wish that every day was International Peace Day. I hope September is a much, much better month for you. Hugs.

Angie's Recipes said...

You too have a wonderful harvest month!

gluten Free A_Z Blog said...

Thank you for all the interesting information about the month of September! Although we still have a few more weeks left, soon we'll be officially saying good bye to summer and anticipating all things fall! Again, sorry for your loss.

Rebeca Muñoz López said...

How interesting what you share with us here. My father suffered from diabetes two years ago. I am glad that you share your experience and that you are correcting it. I am sure that it is very useful for many people who have this condition.

Jules said...

Every month is Happy Cat Month in my house :)
Thinking of you, Jan. Xx

Rustic Pumpkin said...

We each deal with grief in our own way, and yours is new and raw, but may the turning of the seasons begin to bring you peace as you find your way through the darkness.
Your blog today is full of joyful interest as we move into my favourite time of year. Thank you, Debbie

chica said...

Que SETEMBRO chegue trazendo alegria aos corações !
beijos, tudo de bom,chica

jabblog said...

Two family birthdays this month - both Librans.
The year marches on, the new school year starts this week.

eileeninmd said...

Wishing you a happy September! A national cheese day sounds great to me.
Take care, enjoy your day and have a great new week!

roentare said...

Wish you a great September! Love cheese at any day

Rose said...

Interesting fact about the ruby and sapphire. I did not know that. It is hard to believe anither month has come and gone!

Margaret D said...

Hope you are doing ok Jan.
Good read about this month.

Valerie-Jael said...

Sheese pizza sounds great. Thanks for the good wishes you left on my blog, much appreciated. I still need time to heal. Have a great September , hugs! Valerie

My name is Erika. said...

Happy September Jan. I hope you are hanging in there. And I'm glad there are some pizza days in September too. You can't go wrong with pizza.

♥ Łucja-Maria ♥ said...

I strongly believe that September will be a lucky month for you. I love cheese. I only don't eat sheep's cheese.
I send you hugs and greetings.

Catarina said...

Wishing you a calm month.
Can't believe that summer is almost over.

CJ Kennedy said...

There's still 21 days of Summer left for me. 😉Rabbit, rabbit. White Rabbit.

Shari Burke said...

I'm always happy to see September. Also happy to eat cheese pizza! :-)

HappyK said...

September has come along way too fast. :)

Ananka said...

I cannot believe it is September already! The year has flown in!

Divers and Sundry said...

I observe the meteorological seasons so am all in for Autumn now👍

Lady Caer Morganna said...

Great post about the month of September!

Lady Caer Morganna said...

I LOVE the poem!!

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

Oh Jan. I have been unable to leave comments for so long, it didn't hit me until I read that you had lost your beloved Eddie. I hope you are taking care of YOU! I always loved "Talk like a pirate" day.

Conniecrafter said...

I can only imagine how August is not going to be a very good month for you for some time. Sending hugs to you :). Yes we have two cats, one of them is being a little stinker as I write this just getting into everything.
Hope you find peace and comfort in this month ahead!

Iris Flavia said...

It is wonderful to see you back, Jan.
I hope I´ll have your strength one day. Ingo was sick this weekend again. I thought of you.
19th would be my Mum´s Birthday. I think I´ll talk like a pirate, driving my colleagues nuts to honor her.
Wishing you strength.

Back2OurSmallCorner said...

Having just returned from summer holidays I am so sorry to hear about Eddie. I will be thinking of you as you start to adjust to a new way of life.
Thank you so much for all the wonderful things you have both shared here and I am so grateful for the short time I have been a visiting blogging friend.
We will definitely be looking at the cheese pizza day and a visit to see our son's cats is sure to be a good time too. Take care x

David M. Gascoigne, said...

Happy September. I am looking forward to a cooler weather and the vibrancy of Fall. I will not miss summer’s heat.

DeniseinVA said...

A very nice post Jan. I've been thinking of you a lot. Take good care of yourself my friend.

Maria Rodrigues said...

Hi Jan,
Time flies by so fast.
Very interesting information about the month of September.
I wish you a peaceful and happy month.
Many greetings from Maria

Mrs.B said...

So many interesting things to Celebrate in September!
Hoping the weather holds for a while, although there's definitely a nip in the air here in the N.E. of England.
Hope you have a good month. Avril xx

carol l mckenna said...

Oh Jan ~ lots of healing energy hugs to at the loss of your dear hubbie, Eddie ~ He is watching over you more than ever now ~ hugs,

Lovely post and photos about September ~ ^_^

Wishing you good health, laughter and love in your days,
clm ~ A ShutterBug Explores,
aka (A Creative Harbor)

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

Jan, certainly August was not a kind month for you and hope that a new month will be somewhat better for you in many ways.

Salty Pumpkin Studio said...

May your September be bright and creative!

Phil Slade said...

Hello Jan. I was so very sorry to hear about your loss. I always felt that Eddy and I shared a similar sense of humour. It's good to see your positivity and healthy spirit. Although my own blogging has taken a back seat in recent months I am sure that yours is one of my most favourite blogs with our shared passion for healthy food.

Teresa said...

Espero que septiembre sea un bonito mes para ti. Abrazos.

William Kendall said...

I occasionally like cheese pizza, if I'm picking up a couple of slices.

baili said...

Interesting post dear Jan
Thanks for adding in my knowledge friend
Sending best wishes for your days and lots of love ❤