Total Pageviews

Monday 16 September 2024

'Why Daily Sunlight is Critical to Good Health'


Why stepping outside and soaking up some rays every day is so important for your health.

Boosts vitamin D levels
Sunlight is the most natural and efficient source of vitamin D, a critical nutrient that plays a vital role in maintaining healthy bones, supporting immune function, and regulating mood. When your skin is exposed to UVB rays from the sun, it produces vitamin D3, which is then converted into the active form of vitamin D in your body. Just 10-30 minutes of midday sunlight several times a week can help ensure you maintain optimal vitamin D levels.

Enhances mood & mental health
Exposure to sunlight triggers the release of serotonin, a hormone associated with boosting mood and helping you feel calm and focused. This is why a bright, sunny day can make you feel happier and more energetic. Regular sunlight exposure has been linked to lower rates of depression and anxiety. In fact, light therapy is a recognized treatment for Seasonal Affective Disorder (SAD), a type of depression that occurs at certain times of the year when sunlight is scarce.

Regulates sleep patterns
Our circadian rhythm, the body's internal clock that regulates sleep-wake cycles, is heavily influenced by natural light. Exposure to morning sunlight helps signal to your body that it's time to wake up and be alert, while the decrease in light in the evening prepares your body for rest. Even just 10 minutes of sunlight can greatly improve and help you maintain a consistent sleep schedule.

Supports immune function
Emerging research suggests that sunlight exposure can enhance your immune system. Vitamin D, produced in the skin through sunlight exposure, has been shown to bolster the pathogen-fighting effects of monocytes and macrophages, two types of white blood cells that are important for immune defence. This makes regular sunlight an important factor in maintaining overall health and resilience against infections.

Promotes skin health
While excessive sun exposure can lead to skin damage, moderate, daily sunlight can have beneficial effects on certain skin conditions. For example, sunlight can help treat psoriasis, eczema, and acne by reducing inflammation and bacteria on the skin. Always remember to balance sun exposure with proper skin protection to avoid the harmful effects of UV rays.

Daily sunlight is a simple yet powerful tool to boost your health and well-being. So, step outside, enjoy the sun, and let nature's energy rejuvenate your mind and body. Just remember to practice safe sun habits, like wearing sunscreen and protective clothing when necessary, to reap the benefits without the risks.

Words and image above taken from article here

Related Post
Why you need more Vitamin D in the winter - read it here

You will find a variety of articles and recipe ideas within this blog, not all may be suitable for you. If you may have any food allergies, or underlying health issues these must always be taken into account. If you are a diabetic (more about this here) and not sure how certain foods may affect your blood sugars, test is best, i.e. use your meter. If you have any concerns about your health it is always advisable to consult your Doctor or health care team.

All the best Jan

38 comments:

CherryPie said...

Sunlight certainly does increase feelings of happiness and motivation.

gluten Free A_Z Blog said...

The sun is good for us. I try to get out in the early morning. I wonder how it will be affecting children that are covered in sunscreen all the time.

Kay said...

We do get lots and lots of sunshine here in Hawaii. :-)

Tom said...

...as winter approaches, sunlight becomes in short supply here.

Elephant's Child said...

Gentle sunshine is a real mood lifter isn't it?

J.P. Alexander said...

Gracias por el consejo. Te mando un beso.

Fun60 said...

A balance is always needed.

Margaret D said...

Good read there Jan with such good advice too and why.

Felicity said...

thank you for this remind
Natalie


eileeninmd said...

Beautiful photo! Sunshine does boost my mood!
Take care, enjoy your day and have a great week ahead.

Rose said...

I know I am a person that really needs sun. It really affects my mood and outlook when I have cloudy days on end.

Donna said...

My D is always low, so I take supplements. Hard to get outside in this heat.
Thinking of you...
hugs
Donna

jabblog said...

When i went to the dentist a few weeks ago, one of the dentists was outside getting her 15 minutes of sun.

My name is Erika. said...

Happy new week to you! I know the best thing about retirement is being able to get outside during those times of year when I would drive to work in the dark, be stuck inside when the sun is out, and then drive home in the dark. And when the weather is lovely, it is even better!

Valerie-Jael said...

Sunshine always makes me happy! Have a great week, hugs!

Ginny Hartzler said...

I think this is why so many people have seasonal depression. It is in the winter when there is so much less sunlight.

Wool and Steel said...

There is no better feeling than the sun on my face.

CJ Kennedy said...

Trying to hang onto the sunshine (and warm weather) by my fingernails

HappyK said...

Sunshine puts most everyone in a good mood. :)

Back2OurSmallCorner said...

A dose of sunshine always makes me feel better.

Ananka said...

We don't get much sun in Scotland so we all need to take Vit D haha!

Kim said...

I need to get outside in the sunshine more before fall and winter set in around here. Thanks for the reminder and thinking of you.

snobe casamang said...

Sunshine brings happiness and good mood, happy week.

Granny Marigold said...

In summer I get enough sunshine but not in our cloudy wet winters . A bit of a problem here but keeping my fingers crossed I stay healthy.

DeniseinVA said...

That's an excellent article Jan, thank you so much for sharing it.

Dianna said...

I know I don't get out in the sun nearly as much as I should, but I do know that it does boost mood and I'm sure it would help my immune system. Thank you for the information.

Lorrie said...

Sunshine is a wonderful tonic that makes me feel energetic. As the days shorten, sunshine becomes scarce, and even more so when it rains. I hope you are doing well, Jan. I think of you as you grieve.

Jules said...

Yes, to all of this. In the depths of winter, I notice how a lack of sunlight affects me. X

José Antonio Sánchez Rumí said...

That's Jan, I know because my wife has been advised at least 10 minutes a day of sunbathing to increase vitamin D, and in general everything improves.
Happy week.
Best regards

Little Wandering Wren said...

Great post; thank you, Jan. I am lucky that my life involves much sunshine; however, depending on where I am, I don't always get as much vitamin D as you might think. In Australia, plenty of people take vitamin D even though we live in a sunny climate because of all the sun protection. I'm in the UK this week and enjoying the late sunshine. I hope you are, too.
Wren x

Jeanie said...

My city is one of the cloudiest and most overcast, especially in the winter. But when the sun's out we all feel better!

Conniecrafter said...

I know my mood plays heavily with having sun or no sun!

R's Rue said...

So true.
www.rsrue.blogspot.com

Pam said...

I know folks thing I must be nuts, but I will go out and lay on the sidewalk just soaking in the sunshine coming down and bouncing off the concrete

Mary Kirkland said...

I have the exact opposite of SAD. I love those gloomy, rainy, cooler, overcast days a lot more than the sunshiney days. lol

David M. Gascoigne, said...

I am out and about most days so I get lots of sunshine. It’s beneficial but it’s important to use sunscreen to protect against its harmful rays. Seems like a total contradiction, doesn’t it?

baili said...

at youth i loved cloudy weather but with age my love for sunny weather grow stronger
thanks for wonderful and informative post
agree to each point
blessings to you !

Divers and Sundry said...

I like the feel of the sun on my head and face, though I don't get much in the winter.