Total Pageviews

Tuesday, 21 July 2026

Did You Know : These Facts About Butter !



Butter ... do you enjoy it, I certainly do and it's been enjoyed by many over thousands of years. No one can say when butter was first made, but it’s believed to have been around for over 9,000 years.

The first batch of butter was probably made by accident. Nomads would often travel with bags of milk tied to their horses, so all that bouncing movement churned the milk into butter.

Most of the butter you’ll find in stores nowadays is made from cow’s milk. However, back then, people used milk from whatever animals they had around, including goats, sheep, and yaks.

The colour of butter depends heavily on the food the cow eats. Grass-fed cows, which get lots of beta carotene in their diet, produce butter with a deeper yellow colour than grain-fed cows.

If you’ve ever wondered why European butter tastes creamier than American butter, it’s because both regions define butter differently. In the US, butter typically contains 80% fat; in Europe, the standard is closer to 82-90%.


India is the world’s largest butter producer, churning out 7.6 million US tons (6.9 million metric tons) annually.

New Zealanders consume more butter per person than any other nationality, with the average Kiwi putting away at least 13.6 lbs (6 kg) of butter yearly.

According to ancient folklore, witches could disguise themselves as butterflies to steal butter and other dairy products from farmers!
These facts from article seen here

I hope you enjoyed these facts - did you know any of them?
Do please share your thoughts in the comments.

xx ~ ooo ~ xx

This blog is presented in a magazine style and you will find a variety of articles, studies, thoughts, funnies, photographs, music and recipes!

However, not all the recipe ideas featured in this blog may be suitable for you. If you may have any food allergies, or underlying health issues these must always be taken into account. If you are a diabetic and not sure how certain foods may affect your blood sugars, test is best, i.e., use your meter. If you have any concerns about your health, it is always advisable to consult your doctor or health care team.

All the best Jan

24 comments:

J.P. Alexander said...

Me pareció interesante. Te mando un beso.

kitty@ Kitty's Kozy Kitchen said...

I love butter, Jan, and I appreciate all the information you shared with us.

River said...

I am wondering now about the fat content of Australian butters and which variety is the best. I know I like the taste of the brand I always buy, unsalted of course.

Chatty Crone said...

I didn't know a lot of those facts, but I do use butter and love it (not margarine).

Chatty Crone said...

I am having troubles with my blog - just wanted to make sure you got my comment.

Mari said...

Those are interesting facts. We visited with my niece and her husband tonight and she gave me some homemade garlic butter. Yum!

Angie's Recipes said...

Here is usually 82% and I do LOVE butter.

Debbie said...

everything's better with butter...and bacon!!

Margaret D said...

Good facts, Jan. Love butter on the toast in the morning and it's the only time I eat butter apart if it's in something that I eat.
Our butter is a good colour as the cows are grass fed mainly. The supermarket
Bought butter from the USA and it was so pale that people didn't buy much of it, there was only one batch, never to be bought again so far and that was this year. I used to churn butter when we lived in the country long ago.

Elkes Lebensglück said...

I eat butter, and the topic of butter is interesting!
Happy day, hugs Elke

Giorgio said...

I would have never thought of India's butter production. Great post, Jan.

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

I knew our US butter wasn't as good at the butter that comes from Europe. Yours is much tastier. And margarine is the worst invention ever.

jabblog said...

I didn't know any of these fascinating facts. I love butter - too much! I've tried alternatives but they just don't taste right. I'd rather have no butter than an alternative spread. 😄

Iris Flavia said...

I remember as a child I really disliked butter, but these days I love it! What would kale be without butter?!

EricaSta said...

Love this historical view on Butter ... and yes , we cook with Butter.
Greetings by Heidrun

Shari Burke said...

How interesting--I didn't know any of these facts.

Victor S E Moubarak said...

Butter was discovered/first made over 9,000 years ago. Then sliced bread many years later in the 20th Century; then toast when they invented the toaster.

God bless.

Laura. M said...

No soy mucho de mantequilla Jan
Un abrazo.

Laura. M said...

Prefiero el aceite de oliva .
Un abrazo.

DeniseinVA said...

Fun to read Jan. Thank you, I didn’t know any of these facts. I enjoy butter in moderation these days, and one way is spreading it on a slice of toast.

John's Island said...

Hi Jan,

Golden butter, smooth and bright,
Born by chance on a nomad’s flight;
From goat and sheep and grazing cow,
It still delights our tables now.

It crowns warm toast and cakes with cheer,
And has been loved for many a year;
But should a butterfly drift by,
Guard the butter! A witch may fly!

John
PS It’s really hot today in Seattle. They say maybe up to 100F (37C). Better not leave the butter out! 😊 Hope your summer is going well and not too hot. All the best to you from this side of the pond. John 😊

Back2OurSmallCorner said...

I didn't know those facts but I do love butter, especially on crumpets or toast.

Linda's Relaxing Lair said...

Dear Jan, I do love butter. Thank you so much for sharing these facts!

Lowcarb team member said...

REPLY TO
John's Island

Hello John and thank you for your amazing poem . . . perfect, I did enjoy it :)
It's certainly hot in Seattle, keep as cool as you can.
Take care and my very good wishes.

All the best Jan