Total Pageviews

Saturday, 29 August 2026

Meet The Penguins At Penguin Cove

I know not all readers agree with, or like zoos, but I have many happy memories of visits to the Zoo as a child, then with my own children and latterly my grandchildren. One of my favourite visits are seeing the penguins, and at Marwell Zoo in Hampshire there is a colony of thirteen endangered Humboldt penguins. 


Humboldt penguins are one of 18 penguin species. Humboldt penguins are medium-sized penguins from South America. They are greyish-black and white in colour, with a large pink area around the base of their beak. Unusually for birds, both male and female penguins look alike. Whilst they may not be able to fly like most other birds, they are very agile swimmers and almost seem to ‘fly’ through the water. Read more here

"Local swimming kids have been helping penguins make a splash!

Penguins at a zoo in Hampshire are making a splash with their new wave machine - after a fundraising campaign by local children.

More than one hundred kids between the ages of four and eleven completed a sponsored swim to help raise money.

Swimming distances of 50 metres (two lengths) and above, their efforts raised more than £15,000.

Staff at the zoo said the wave machine helps to create strong currents underwater for the penguins to swim against, improving their physical and mental wellbeing.

What happened?

Some of the children who helped fundraise for Marwell Zoo's wave machine - otherwise known as a flow cannon - were at the zoo for the official switch-on.

10-year-old Ellie, who raised £510 by swimming a mile, said she enjoyed the whole experience.

She explained: "It was very fun, I did it in my free time, I'm glad I challenged myself.

"I love penguins, they're so cute and can be so much fun. Also, I love swimming, so I thought it would be the perfect challenge for me."

For the colony of 13 endangered Humboldt penguins who reside in the zoo's Penguin Cove.

Staff said their new machine will create strong underwater currents for the penguins to swim against.

Dan Garrick, from the zoo, added: "It will create a more dynamic, enriched experience for them when they go in the pool."

The zoo said that extra funds raised will be used to further improve the penguins' wellbeing."

Words above from article seen here

Do go and watch the 30 second video of the penguins swimming, they absolutely love it!
You can find the video here  

What did you think of the video? Do you like penguins?
Please share your thoughts in the comments.

All the best Jan

3 comments:

Linda's Relaxing Lair said...

Dear Jan, I guess it comes as no surprise to you that I love penguins! You know how much I love nature and animals! I enjoyed the video! It was delightful and relaxing! And I love the photo of them as well, dear friend. Thank you so much for sharing this post!

Anonymous said...

I like penguins. Lovely post and video.

Tina

J.P. Alexander said...

Lindo poema. Te mando un beso