Total Pageviews

Monday 13 April 2015

How Many Of These Are In Your Shopping Basket ?

Different Types of Vegetables

Most, but not all, of us are fortunate to be able to eat a wide variety of foods. Some of us are guilty of over eating and there are still far too many people in this world that are going hungry. We have seen the increase in food banks that many rely on ...... we have children going to school without eating breakfast because their parent has had to decide, does the home have fuel or food. Nothing is ever perfect, and we can only do our best to help others not as fortunate.

The basket in the picture has many great vegetables, and that to me represents just one part of my menu plans. If you are fortunate enough to grow your own, or can afford organic all the better. During my weekly meals I love to ensure a good selection of meat, fish, poultry, eggs, dairy, healthy fats, small handfuls of nuts such as almonds or macadamias, non starchy vegetables such as broccoli, kale, swede, plus fruits such as blackberries and raspberries. This isn't by any means an extensive, or exhaustive list here, there are many more foods that I include in my menu plans , you only have to look around the blog to see a wide variety of menu ideas ..... but of course do take into account any allergies or underlying health conditions you may have. 

Living the Low Carb High Fat lifestyle or LCHF for short has been a way of life for me for seven years now and I just wouldn't have it any other way. In my opinion, and as others have found, it is a great lifestyle for diabetics and non diabetics alike ..... but then as this blog is called 'The Low Carb Diabetic' you just knew I was going to say that didn't you?

Next time you go shopping, choose wisely, eat and live as healthily as possible. We only have one body - make the decision to look after it as best you can.

All the best Jan

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Foods here are excellent. Agree organic are probably better but cost sometimes come into it.

Ben

Gingi said...

I get a weekly organic and local veggie basket in the co-op I'm part of.. so I usually have TOO MANY veggies in my pantry! Sure makes healthy eating a cinch though! <3 - www.domesticgeekgirl.com

Unknown said...

I purchase what fruit and veggies are on sale. If fresh fruit and veggies are too high in price at a particular grocery store, I then purchase frozen vegetables, which always seem affordable at most stores. :-)

JanKnitz said...

If you can't afford to buy all organic, at least learn about the "dirty dozen" so you buy those things organic.

Last week more evidence came out against glyphosates--that they are most likely carcinogens. There use is so widespread! So do the best your budget allows and if you don't have a black thumb like me even a small planter box can yield some good things.

I do buy things at the peak when they are least expensive and dry, freeze or ferment what I can.

Lowcarb team member said...

Hi Ben - thanks for your comment. Yes we all have to shop as best we can for what our budget allows,but there are bargains to be had just keep a sharp look-out when shopping.

Hi Gingi - thanks for your comment. You can't have too many vegetables, there will always be a great meal they can go with, or make some vegetable soup! Good idea to have a weekly and local organic, veggie basket, these are also available in the UK but again cost has to be considered.

Hi Marion - thanks for your comment. Yes, frozen vegetables can provide a good alternative, and can also be used along side any fresh you've been able to buy.

Hi Jan (Knitz) - many thanks for your comment and valuable pointers towards the vegetables. It's so good if we can grow our own and with a small planter box or even things like herbs grown in pots on the windowsill - anything like this can help.

I'm off shopping later to get a few more LCHF food necessities, hope everyone has a good day.

All the best Jan

Galina L. said...

Actually, I buy much less(like 2 - 3 times less) of these now after I stopped eating a low fat/low red meat diet at 2007. I used to eat a lot of not nutrients dense foods in a hope that the bulk would keep me not hungry. No, it didn't. My experience let me very skeptical about the advice - "eat your rainbow".
Buying less of amount of vegetables leaves more room in my budget for organic varieties.

Lowcarb team member said...

Hi Galina - thanks for your comment. I like your less is more, and as you say it allows you to buy the organic type when you choose which vegetables you want to buy.

I must admit I love seeing the colours of the rainbow on my plate, but we each have to decide which vegetables we like and are best suited to us.

All the best Jan