Total Pageviews

Thursday 28 May 2020

Matt Hancock UK Health Minister reveals success with low-carb eating





This article from Diet Doctor site
"UK Health Minister reveals success with low-carb eating

As part of his mission to combat Britain’s rising obesity and diabetes rates, UK Health Minister Matt Hancock is letting people in on a little secret: He supports eating low-carb in order to encourage weight loss and better health.

In 2012, Hancock lost “two stone” (28 pounds or about 13 kilos) by avoiding carbs in his diet. “I did it over three months by not eating bread, potatoes or pasta,” Hancock told The Telegraph in 2018. Then, during the 2019 election, Hancock lost around 10 pounds (4.5 kilos), again by cutting out sugar and starch, explains Dr. David Unwin, a low-carb general practitioner.

In addition to the weight-loss benefits Hancock experienced from eating low carb, medical professionals are now speculating about whether the health minister’s lower body weight may have helped him to recover from the coronavirus after he contracted it in March of 2020.

When Hancock first announced that he’d tested positive for coronavirus via Twitter, he reported only “mild” symptoms and was working from home in self-isolation. After just “a few days’” time, Hancock told BBC Radio Suffolk that he was “on the mend.”

According to Dr. Unwin, Hancock’s speedy recovery may have been a result of the weight he lost while eating low carb. Early research suggests that obesity is a risk factor for a more difficult recovery from Covid-19. That does not mean we know for sure that weight loss played a role in his speedy recovery, but it sure didn’t hurt.

Now more than ever, it’s important that we all begin to take our metabolic health more seriously — especially in the face of a pandemic." 

The above from Diet Doctor site here

Related Posts
How Low Carb Can Help, plus a favourite low carb recipe - here

Introduction to low-carb for beginners - here

This blog brings a variety of articles and recipe ideas, and it is important to note, not all may be suitable for you. If you may have any food allergies, or underlying health issues these must always be taken into account. If you are a diabetic and not sure how certain foods may affect your blood sugars, test is best, i.e. use a reliable meter.

All the best Jan

24 comments:

Valerie-Jael said...

Wow, a sensible politician! Great! Valerie

Tom said...

...here, the food processors control things!

Sally said...

My dad was the first person I know of that used the low carb for losing weight. He played basketball, and then was a coach. So, in the event he had gained, he switched to low carb. This was many, many years ago.

I tried it also years ago, and thought I was gonna be dead very soon. Mom told me I was only eating half of what I needed! :)

This is such an interesting post! I'm going to check out the ones you've shown us. Thank you!

xoxo

Sandi said...

❤️❤️

Eating a low carb salad while reading this!

Dewena said...

That's good to know! Jan, I'm trying your Balsamic Pork chop recipe tomorrow night, bought things for it yesterday.

Elephant's Child said...

And the word spreads...

Christine said...

Good for him!

sheila 77 said...

That is really interesting about Matt Hancock. I always feel sorry for him, he never looks very happy. Good that he recovered quickly from the virus. Not a surprise that his recovery could be due to his good health. I'll follow up the links, thanks.

Susan Kane said...

Thanks for this. My husband doesn't give a thought for all you mentioned.

Congratulations on your great success.

NanaDiana said...

I try to eat low carb but sometimes fail. I was great at it for several years but somehow faltered. Great story here. He looks healthy AND happy there.

JFM said...

Thank you Jan for all of your research and helpful information.
Your blog is great ❤

dellgirl said...

This is a very interesting and thought provoking post you have here. I have never heard about this before. Thanks to you, I learned something new today.

Wishing you a wonderful Thursday night! Stay Safe, my friend!

Debbie-Dabble Blog and A Debbie-Dabble Christmas said...

Thanks so much for stopping by!! Stay safe, healthy and happy!!
Hugs,
Debbie

Chris Lally said...

Happy to hear the Health Minister recovered - a great argument for healthy eating!

Jeanie said...

This is such an interesting post, Jan. I am not surprised in a lot of ways but that's a powerful recommendation.

mamasmercantile said...

Thanks for sharing, just going to follow all the links.

Margaret D said...

That is interesting that it all worked out for him.
Take care.

Jenn Jilks said...

Sadly, I've gained weight. Things just aren't the same. I'm grinding my teeth, clenching my jaws, and getting headaches from my cataracts. It's been hard.

Ygraine said...

What an inspirational guy!
Many thanks for this really interesting information...I will definitely follow these links!👍👍

Have a great weekend!

Hugs xxx

Sue said...

Ah Peter Pandemic himself lol. It's good to see a health minister practice what he preaches though xx

Teresa said...

Feliz fin de semana.

Conniecrafter said...

I am not in the best of shape if I were to get it, I need to get in better shape!

Elderberry-Rob said...

That's interesting, impressive that he has lost so much weight and good that he shares his success story.

Phil Slade said...

So far, I haven't rated Mr Hancock's performance but I really should take a leaf out of his recipe book. I guess he's done his best under great difficulties and the press and TV willing him to fail.