Total Pageviews

Wednesday 20 January 2021

Cauliflower Choices : A Healthy Vegetable

Cauliflower is an extremely healthy vegetable that’s a significant source of nutrients, in fact cauliflower contains some of almost every vitamin and mineral that you need. It also contains unique plant compounds that may reduce the risk of several diseases, including heart disease and cancer. Additionally, it’s weight loss friendly and incredibly easy to add to your diet.

It's certainly one of our favourite vegetables and I know many 'low carbers' enjoy it in their menu plans. It seems that cauliflower is having a renaissance. Yes, it can sometimes be a little more expensive, so keep your eyes open for any special offers that your local store or supermarket may have.

Loaded Cauliflower Mash
Ingredients
Serves Four
1½ lbs (650g) cauliflower, cut into florets
2 oz. (55g) butter, room temperature
4 oz. (110g) cream cheese, room temperature
salt and ground black pepper, to taste
4 oz. (110g) bacon, chopped
1 cup (4 oz./110g) shredded/grated cheddar cheese
½ oz. (2 1⁄3 tbsp/14g) scallions/spring onions, thinly sliced
½ cup (120ml) sour cream
Instructions
see here


Parmesan Crusted Cauliflower
Ingredients
1 Head of Cauliflower
4 Tablespoons Unsalted Butter
1 Clove Garlic, grated or pressed
1/4 Cup Grated Parmesan Cheese
1/4 Teaspoon Kosher Salt
1/4 Teaspoon Black Pepper
1 Tablespoon Olive Oil
Instructions
see here


Garlic and chilli prawns with cauliflower rice
Ingredients
Serves Two
300g (10oz) cauliflower, cut into florets
1 tbsp. vegetable oil
1 garlic clove, finely chopped
1 red chilli, deseeded and finely chopped
2.5cm (1in) piece fresh ginger, finely grated
150g (5oz) raw king prawns
5 spring onions, (scallions) sliced
1 red pepper, deseeded and sliced
1 courgette, (zucchini) cut into ribbons
50g (2oz) frozen garden peas, defrosted
For the dressing
1 tbsp. finely chopped fresh coriander leaves, plus extra to garnish
1 tsp clear honey
1 lime, juiced
1 tsp sesame oil
1 tbsp. soy sauce
Instructions
see here

I hope you may try one (or all) of these recipe suggestions soon
If you should need help with weight/measurement conversion, see here

We bring a variety of articles, studies etc. plus recent news/views and recipe ideas to this blog, we hope something for everyone to read and enjoy. Please note, not all may be suitable for you. If you may have any food allergies, or underlying health issues these must always be taken into account. If you are a diabetic and not sure how certain foods may affect your blood sugars, test is best, i.e. use your meter.

All the best Jan

25 comments:

Sandra Cox said...

Ooh, these sound so good. And the crusty Parmesan looks easy. And I'm all about easy:)
Thanks for sharing.
Stay well.

Christine said...

I have saved that parmesan crusted cauliflower, thanks!

Tom said...

...cauliflower is a favorite of mine.

Martha said...

I'm all about these recipes. I love cauliflower :)

Joyful said...

I do love roasted cauliflower and also faux mashed potatoes using cauliflower. It's too bad the price has gotten so ridiculously high for this vegetable. I do check every week for sales. They don't happened that often but I buy one or two when they are on reduced price.

William Kendall said...

My mother tended to make it with a white sauce and nutmeg.

Elephant's Child said...

Cauli is one of my favourite vegies. The other household resident is NOT a fan.

Lorrie said...

I use cauliflower a lot. The Parmesan crusted florets look delicious! I've found that I can prepare cauliflower rice and freeze it in smaller portions to pull out for a quick accompaniment to a meal.

Valerie-Jael said...

I love cauliflower! Have a great day, Valerie

Practical Parsimony said...

I love cauliflower and don't need a recipe as I enjoy it plain and steamed. Good eating!

Jo said...

I love cauliflower but the rest of the family won't touch it. It doesn't stop me making it for myself though.

Margaret D said...

Those recipes look good and I do like cauliflower and we have a lot of it 'at times'.

Jean said...

Thank you! Cauliflower is my favourite vegetable. There is so much you can do with it and new ideas are always welcome!
Jean

Ella said...

My favorite is Loaded Cauliflower Mash ... yum, yum!

mamasmercantile said...

I am going into the kitchen now to make some cauliflower mash, yummy!

Martha said...

So yummy! Cauliflower is a favourite in our home.

DeniseinVA said...

Cauliflower is one of my favorite vegetables and I will enjoy these recipes. Thanks Jan :)

Sue said...

Oooh this looks delicious! Cauliflower is one of my favourites too x

Emma Springfield said...

I use cauliflower a lot. All of your recipes today look delicious and I am going to try each of them.

Breathtaking said...

Hello Jan, All the recipes look delicious. Cauliflower and broccoli are my favourite veg.
I like cauliflower cheese baked in the oven, but like the look of the Parmesan crusted florets.

Kim said...

Oh,it looks delicious, Jan!! I always find the most interesting recipes when I visit. This one is a keeper for sure! Be well!

Rose said...

I would love to try that parm. crusted cauliflower.

Magic Love Crow said...

I love cauliflower! We had it tonight! Thanks for the recipes! Excellent post! Big Hugs!

Divers and Sundry said...

I like cauliflower but only serve it raw or steamed. Maybe I should branch out...

J.P. Alexander said...

Gracias por las recetas me gusta mucho la coliflor. Te mando un beso y buen fin de semana
Enamorada de las letras