Total Pageviews

Wednesday 27 January 2021

London Fog !

Well, I had heard of London Fogs from school History lessons, in particular the great smog of 1952 when for five days in December 1952, the Great Smog of London smothered the city, wreaking havoc and killing thousands, you can read more about that here

Big Ben, London on a Foggy Day image from here

But recently on various blogs I have been reading about 'London Fog' what is it I wondered?

"What is a London Fog?
It is a hot tea drink that is made with earl grey black tea and vanilla. It is topped with frothed milk which is where the “fog” name comes from. There are other fog-named drinks with slight variations to the recipe depending on the location.

Despite the name, the original London Fog recipe is said to have originated in Vancouver, British Columbia. Go Canada!

Earl Grey Latte vs. London Fog
An Earl Grey Latte is like other tea lattes — it consists of the tea, frothed/steamed milk and sweetener if desired. That’s all.

A London Fog consists of earl grey tea, frothed/steamed milk, vanilla and sweetener if desired.

Therefore, the difference between the two comes down to the vanilla. It is a slight difference, yes. But, that vanilla addition adds a lot to this tea latte!

What is the best earl grey tea to use for this latte?
A classic earl grey is a black tea with bergamot oil. Sometimes an earl grey also has blue cornflowers added to the blend, but that is purely for aesthetics.

Use your absolute favourite earl grey tea so you’ll be sure to love this latte. You can use loose leaf or tea bags.

It's best to make sure the earl grey tea you use is blended with real/natural bergamot oil and nothing artificial.

What form of vanilla is the best to use for this latte?
When it’s time to add the star ingredient to this latte — vanilla — use whatever form you have on hand. However, pure vanilla extract offers a true, rich flavour.
You can also use vanilla powder, vanilla beans or even vanilla simple syrup. In cafes, vanilla syrup is often used for a London Fog!

However, if you use vanilla simple syrup in yours at home, you may want to omit any additional sweetener in the recipe as that form of vanilla flavouring is already filled with sugar. Since the recipe below is using pure vanilla extract, it calls for sweetener, too.

Don’t have any vanilla at home? You can use any milk for this recipe! So, if you have a vanilla flavoured almond milk, oat milk, etc. use that in its place! The vanilla will be more subtle, but this option is better than nothing.

London Fog Recipe
This recipe makes 1 mug serving or 2 if you serve it up in vintage teacups! Double the amount of tea is used to create a stronger earl grey flavour before adding the milk.
Ingredients
1 tablespoon Earl Grey black tea, loose leaf (or 2 tea bags)
3/4 cup boiling water
1/2 cup milk
1 teaspoon sweetener of choice (i.e. sweetener, sugar, maple syrup, honey)
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
Instructions
1. Steep earl grey tea in boiling water for 5 minutes, covered. Covering your tea while steeping will retain heat and, therefore, help extract all of the flavours.
2. While the tea is steeping, simmer milk in a small saucepan on the stove. Using a handheld frother, froth the warm milk until it is fluffy and cloud like (about 30 seconds).*
3. When the tea is done steeping, strain the tea leaves or remove the tea bags. Add sugar and vanilla. Stir until dissolved.
4. Top the cup of tea with the frothed milk and serve immediately. Enjoy!
Notes
*If you have an electric milk frother/steamer, you can use that instead. If you don’t have any of these devices, you can whisk the warm milk in the saucepan by hand until it gets frothy."
See the above words, original recipe and more at 'The Cup of Life' tea blog here
'Marks Daily Apple' site also has a recipe here


no matter what your choice of beverage may be
just relax, unwind and enjoy some 'me time'


You will find a variety of recipe ideas and articles within this blog, and not all may be suitable for you. If you may have any food allergies, or underlying health issues these must always be taken into account. If you are a diabetic and not sure how certain foods may affect your blood sugars, test is best, i.e. use your meter.

All the best Jan

40 comments:

Luiz Gomes said...

Bom dia esse chá será maravilhoso aqui no inverno, hoje teremos temperatura de 40 graus aqui no Rio de Janeiro.

Inger said...

Earl Grey tea is my favorite and I've never thought to put milk of any kind in it. But this sounds interesting, so I may try it. The tea in your cup certainly looks good. I lived in London in the late 50's early 60's and experiences the tail end of a few real London Fogs. The really serious ones were pretty much gone by then.

Tom said...

...and I remember London Fog as a coat brand.

Christine said...

So interesting to read about the great London fog of 1952.

Conniecrafter said...

I had never heard of vanilla powder only the extracts, very interesting I didn't know there was a drink by that name.

Lorrie said...

London Fogs have been my go-to drink treat for a number of years. I guess they are found here because we are so close to Vancouver. I love the combination of Earl Grey, milk, and vanilla.

Divers and Sundry said...

I don't ever put milk in tea, but this does sound like a treat worth trying.

Jeanie said...

Learn something new every day! I always thought London Fog was either -- well, fog -- or a a raincoat brand! This sounds interesting with the vanilla. I might have to try it.

DVArtist said...

Ohh yum. I will take the one with vanilla.

linda said...

I had never heard of London fogs, very interesting. I don't think I'd fancy one myself but it's good top know what they are.

Jo said...

I've never heard of London Fog the drink, though I've only recently started drinking tea.

Ella said...

Help! I don't like tea at all and I have to force myself to drink a cup of tea!
What should I do?

Emma Springfield said...

I like the taste of Earl Grey tea so much that I hesitate to add anything to it. I don't mind milk in tea but prefer it without. No sweetener please.

Elephant's Child said...

Not for me. I really, really don't like Earl Grey tea. There is a song about it which includes lines like 'is it perfume or is it pee?'.
I like the idea of the drink though.

Lowcarb team member said...

Google translate:

Luiz Gomes said...
Bom dia esse chá será maravilhoso aqui no inverno, hoje teremos temperatura de 40 graus aqui no Rio de Janeiro.

Good morning this tea will be wonderful here in winter, today we will have 40 degree temperature here in Rio de Janeiro.

Angie said...

Jan - I had never heard of this, so thanks for the education! Sometimes I find tea a bit plain, so this sounds like a great way to dress it up!

Evi Erlinda said...

I am going to give it a try!
Glad to know all about London Fog :)
Thanks

My name is Erika. said...

Great post. I need to try both of these. I might need to figure out how to froth my milk though. Thanks for this.

The Joy of Home with Martha Ellen said...

Earl Grey is my favorite tea, so I must try this recipe with vanilla and froth! I don't know where I've been as a London Fog is new to me.

William Kendall said...

I didn't know it also applied to a drink.

peppylady (Dora) said...

I wonder how well a nut milk would work

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

That London fog is new to me, but I might have to try one of these.

Margaret D said...

Interesting, never associated 'fog' with tea and so forth..

Sandra Cox said...

I hadn't heard of the tea variety London Fog but it does sounds good. Actually, I hadn't heard of the Great Smog either.
Fascinating post as usual.
Take special care.

aussie aNNie said...

Great post, lovely and will froth my milk in my coffee machine. xx

Himawan Sant said...

The choice of the name of the drink is very unique ... based on the fog events that have happened in London. Observant see opportunities to be easily recognized by many people.
I am curious about the taste of the drink.

Greetings.

mamasmercantile said...

Not something that I have ever come across, I will look out for it the next time we go to a coffee shop on the mainland.

CJ Kennedy said...

I love London Fog and since I received a milk frother as a gift, I make this several times a week.

Sue said...

I have to admit I'm not a tea lover - my heart belongs to coffee! When I do drink it it's no milk, no sugar, and as weak as you can get it, and I do like Earl Grey and Lady Grey, but with frothy milk uuuggggggghhhhh! Have a lovely day Eddie and Jan xx

pam nash said...

I have a hard time with milk in tea - just doesn't work too well for me. I like Earl Grey but my favorite is Lady Grey and please give me lose leaves not tea dust in a bag!

Jean | DelightfulRepast.com said...

Jan, that sounds good. I hate teas that are vanilla flavoured; it's always artificial flavour. But this made at home with real vanilla extract would be lovely, I'm sure.

Teresa said...

Yo prefiero el café. Buena tarde.

Magic Love Crow said...

Yeh Canada!! I love London Fog!! Big Hugs!

Martha said...

Earl Grey tea is a favourite of mine. I know I'd enjoy London Fog. I should make it.

Rose said...

I really need to try more teas...

Iris Flavia said...

"Initially, the British government was slow to act during the Great Smog. " sounds like German Chancellor Merkel, she is even slower. A cuppa, please?

baili said...

this is really an interesting post dear Jan
London Fog will turn into a drink's name ,i was not expecting that :)
blessings!

carol l mckenna said...

Oh the London Fog Latte sounds yummy ~ I am making chicken noodle soup today because it is so cold in MA (USA) today ~ latte might be nice too ~ thank you .

Moment by moment,

A ShutterBug Explores,
aka (A Creative Harbor)

Christine said...

Jan, fyi 'London Fog' is also a well known American clothing company that makes very nice coats, available in Canada too.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/London_Fog_(company)

Lowcarb team member said...

Christine said...
Jan, fyi 'London Fog' is also a well known American clothing company that makes very nice coats, available in Canada too.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/London_Fog_(company)

Hello Christine, many thanks for this additional information ...

All the best Jan