Total Pageviews

Tuesday 30 July 2024

Rainbow Colours of Vegetables!

'Come on now eat your greens' ... is something my Mum used to say, and sure enough there was usually at least two green vegetables on my plate, very often peas and cabbage - and I did eat them up!

"Including vegetables in your diet is extremely important. Veggies are incredibly rich in nutrients and antioxidants, which boost your health and help fight off disease. Additionally, they are beneficial for weight control due to their low calorie content. Health authorities around the world recommend that adults consume several servings of vegetables each day, but this can be difficult for some people. Some find it inconvenient to eat vegetables, while others are simply unsure how to prepare them in an appetizing way."

Nowadays, when it comes to vegetables we could eat the colours of the rainbow, there are so many great colours to choose.

The colours of the rainbow are Red, Orange, Yellow, Green, Blue, Indigo, and Violet. So starting with Red - how about red pepper or red tomato. Moving onto Orange - how about carrot or an orange pepper. Next is yellow - so it could be butternut squash or a yellow pepper. Yes, it's Green next - so broccoli or Brussel sprouts ... now the last three colours of blue, indigo and violet may be easier to achieve if we think of them as one! Aubergine (eggplant) is a good start, followed by purple cabbage and how about purple cauliflower!

Have you any rainbow favourites, do please share them ...


You will find a variety of articles and recipe ideas within this blog, not all may be suitable for you. If you may have any food allergies, or underlying health issues these must always be taken into account. If you are a diabetic (more about this here) and not sure how certain foods may affect your blood sugars, test is best, i.e. use your meter. If you have any concerns about your health it is always advisable to consult your Doctor or health care team.

All the best Jan

26 comments:

Mari said...

All the colors make your plate exciting. I love peppers, tomatoes, zuchinni roasted!

Christine said...

Great post!

Rose said...

One of Copper's most favorite foods on earth is Brussel sprouts...I wish I could get a good video of him. He also loves cauliflower, broccoli, eats cucumbers, and potatoes. I am not sure he would turn down anything...I have even seen him eat dill pickles when his mom is eating them.

Tom said...

...we are getting so many eggplant from the garden that it's hard to eat them all.

J.P. Alexander said...

Siempre hay que comer variado y sano. Te mando un beso.

peppylady (Dora) said...

My hubby likes red peppers

Fun60 said...

Fortunately I've always enjoyed veggies. Corn on the cob is another colourful addition.

Margaret D said...


Not hard today to have colours of the rainbow veggies. My mum always cooked 5 vegetables everyday.

Elephant's Child said...

I really like vegies. My partner does not. He doesn't eat nearly enough of them and I worry.

jabblog said...

It's so easy to get a rainbow of vegetables these days, with so many having a variety of colours - purple carrots, black tomatoes for example - though I suppose the colours don't affect the properties of the vegetable. A carrot is still a carrot with a carrot's character :-)

roentare said...

I mostly get 3 colours of vegie a day

Victor S E Moubarak said...

What a tasty treat. Thank you, Jan.

God bless.

Ananka said...

Veg is so tasty. Eat the rainbow, it is so healthy :-D

eileeninmd said...

The veggie colors are pretty! I do love my veggies, all colors. Take care, enjoy your day!

CJ Kennedy said...

The garden is getting colorful with all the veggies Himself planted

Teresa said...

Me gustan las verduras. Besos.

Bill said...

Great post, Jan.

Rustic Pumpkin said...

I forget whom, but one tv chef is now saying aim to eat 30 different fruit and veg in a week. I never know if aubergine is purple or cream!

Mary Kirkland said...

I like to eat a variety of vegetables.

HappyK said...

They certainly come in beautiful colors!!

My name is Erika. said...

I read something once about getting kids to eat veggies that told them to eat at least 5 colors a day (and white doesn't count). I love that idea, and I even think that way myself. Hope it was a great day!

Jo said...

I was always encouraged to eat vegetables as a child and I love them now. Mick was pandered to as a child and didn't eat a single vegetable when I first knew him and was such a fussy eater. Thank goodness he's changed a bit over the years.

R's Rue said...

Amazing

Jeanie said...

There are blueberries for blue and the purple cabbage is a good violet (or red onion). But indigo is a toughie!

Divers and Sundry said...

I need to do better with this. Thanks for the reminder.

Conniecrafter said...

We have tried new variety of cherry tomatoes this year so we have yellow and an almost dark purple too. We also have purple beans that turn green when you cook them :)